Week one in the SEC - what have we learned?

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Just ramblin...

Still with Miss left to play, in general, the shine is definitely off the SEC. Hard to draw season long conclusions from the first set of games, but I think we can say the west is not as good as media has been pumping them up. I'm very concerned that we are becoming the ACC. Alabama and all the rest, like Florida State and all the rest. Didnt get to watch Georgia, not sure if Eason will be their savior. LSU still has no QB play, keep number 7 off the field for long stretches and you should be fine against them. Miss State, welcome to the new era. Tenn is gonna Tenn. I thought TAM surprisingly looked the best (other than Bama), solid defense and offense, although we have seen this act before from them. Let see how Miss represents tomorrow.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
For the most part I agree. aTm looked decent, Bama is Bama, and the West will not live up to the hype. East is what we thought it would be. I won't say that we're the ACC, but with all the talent out there...teams are catching up talent wise. It's going to happen at some point. Too many good athletes and wanting to go play now.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Overrated
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

SEC football has Alabama. Anything else?

http://usat.ly/2cpD8ss

Last edited:

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Watch out, there is a lot of pent up frustration/hate against the SEC that has been tamped down because of our dominance, but now, unrestricted.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I really don't care about the SEC as a whole this year. I actually wanted everyone but us to lose this weekend. Rooted hard for Wisky and UNC, App State and USC. It was good to see teams on our schedule struggle some. I think LSU is really winnable now, Georgia looks like the class of the division, and Tennessee was on par with how we played. I could care less if we play zero ranked teams when it's all said and done.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Besides LSU I'm gonna chalk it all up to first week glitches and bugs. Alot of sloppy play for sure but bad QB play will probably be the undoing of 75% of the conference.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This is not news at least to me. The East has been no better than the ACC since 2010.....That being said this was only the 1st week of the season. Anyone who thinks that us, UT, Arky look the same now as they will in week 5 or 6 is dreaming. New coaches, new players and a step up in competition for the 1st game all make for some offbeat performances....On the other hand how good will UGA look if Chubb goes down again. They have a history of wearing out their RB's by mid season.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
LSU is vying with Tennessee for most over-hyped team this pre-season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think Missouri may be the worst team in the SEC by far. They are horrible.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Upside: Bama dominant, aTm beat a ranked Pac12 team, UGA won on the road at ranked UNC, AU gave Clempson a solid game.

Downside: Ut nearly embarrassed, UF offense remains blah, MSU back to bottom feeder, bottom feeder Ky back to form.

So which conference looked better? Big 10 Wisconsin had a nice but close win at home over LSU, conference played no one else. Pac12 lost 2 to the SEC and won a home game against K State. ACC's most elite team almost lost at AU.

If the standard is the SEC has to roll everyone then it didn't live up to its hype. If the standard is on balance clearly the top league, still true. If Ole Miss wins tomorrow night it will have been a strong opening weekend. If they lose a close game to F$U, still pretty solid.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Upside: Bama dominant, aTm beat a ranked Pac12 team, UGA won on the road at ranked UNC, AU gave Clempson a solid game.

Downside: Ut nearly embarrassed, UF offense remains blah, MSU back to bottom feeder, bottom feeder Ky back to form.

So which conference looked better? Big 10 Wisconsin had a nice but close win at home over LSU, conference played no one else. Pac12 lost 2 to the SEC and won a home game against K State. ACC's most elite team almost lost at AU.

If the standard is the SEC has to roll everyone then it didn't live up to its hype. If the standard is on balance clearly the top league, still true. If Ole Miss wins tomorrow night it will have been a strong opening weekend. If they lose a close game to F$U, still pretty solid.
The Dwags weren't on the road...they were in Atlanta which is 60 miles from Athens. The Big 10 looks to have more than one team worth a crap, unlike the SEC. It's Bama and everyone else.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Its only the first week and you only need ONE SEC team to win the National Title yet again which it looks like Bama could yet again...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Eason played strong. He's the real deal. UGA is going to be a very tough out. Very tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator