Well, well counselor

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Got a cousin-in-law, nice fellow Rodney Mills. Had an up & coming band out of high school. Around Douglas Georgia. Little known tid-bit. He named his band "Revel On". The boys scraped together enough money to pay a graphic artist for a name logo to be painted on the drumface. They rushed to their cross-state gig, set up, then noticed the drum named them "The Revlon".

Little known fact = Later Rodney's hands got burned too bad for him to play the guitar, so he switched to mixing. You all have listened to Rodney's work. On the recording of "Sweet Home Alabama" when Ronnie Van Zandt says "Turn it up." he was telling Mills to up the volume in his headset. As it was a mistake, they were going to take it out, but on re-listening it sounded like a rocker's war cry, so they left it in.

Rodney's got 50 gold and platinum albums with a few Grammys. Some clients = 38 Special, Journey, REM,
Lynyrd Skinner, Greg Almond, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Sugarland, etc, etc. Rodney's got some nifty You Tube stuff.

Not bad for a south Georgia farm boy. Oh yeah, his wife, my cousin Mary was named after my mom.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Got a cousin-in-law, nice fellow Rodney Mills. Had an up & coming band out of high school. Around Douglas Georgia. Little known tid-bit. He named his band "Revel On". The boys scraped together enough money to pay a graphic artist for a name logo to be painted on the drumface. They rushed to their cross-state gig, set up, then noticed the drum named them "The Revlon".

Little known fact = Later Rodney's hands got burned too bad for him to play the guitar, so he switched to mixing. You all have listened to Rodney's work. On the recording of "Sweet Home Alabama" when Ronnie Van Zandt says "Turn it up." he was telling Mills to up the volume in his headset. As it was a mistake, they were going to take it out, but on re-listening it sounded like a rocker's war cry, so they left it in.

Rodney's got 50 gold and platinum albums with a few Grammys. Some clients = 38 Special, Journey, REM,
Lynyrd Skinner, Greg Almond, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Sugarland, etc, etc. Rodney's got some nifty You Tube stuff.

Not bad for a south Georgia farm boy. Oh yeah, his wife, my cousin Mary was named after my mom.
Awesome story Rog. Little tidbit for ya...the Mills clan is popular around Valdosta, Ga (Douglas too, evidently) and St. Augustine, Fla.

How do I know? They're my cousins too!

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

My wife’s from Douglas. Surprised to see that small town mentioned here. Been many times. Waycross too.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I believe Rodney was born in Douglas. Raised to take over his parents huge successful farm. Mary was his highschool sweetheart. They are still happily married. Uncle Roy, Mary's father made fun of himself with this true story. =

Rodney started his band when the Beatles invaded, so his guys were trailblazers with the long hair. Uncle Roy didn't like that. His college-freshman daughter Mary, living away from home first time. On weekends, Mary would travel to these somewhat seedy lounges where Rodney was playing into the wee hours around too many inebriated slobs. Roy fussed about that.

Finally, once Rodney and Mary got engaged, Roy seized the chance for "the talk". So he takes Rodney aside and says, "Son I've tolerated a lot. But if you're marrying my little girl, I'll give you 2 more years in this rock & roll stuff, then I want you to quit the rock and take over your parents' farm and provide for my little girl the way she deserves." 5 years later, Roy & wife Kathleen often visited Rodney in his 7 bedroom home in the gated community filled with Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta braves. Rodney said he wanted the bedrooms so all family could come visit anytime.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ive been to Douglas Az. It is everything
youd imagine.

Some call it the Aqua Prieta of the north.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.