We're (Almost) SEC East champs!

Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Captain Sasquatch;n305154 said:
Technically they don't. To control their own destiny, that would mean they're in if they win out. If they beat us and we still beat South Carolina, we're still in.

How does that work? This is giving me a headache.

Swamp Donkey

7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
I Have No Friends :(;n305094 said:
Only thing I can figure '78 is Georgia beat Vandy so that would have us in a 3-way tie for first and somehow Georgia would hold the next tiebreaker.
Geeeze.

We could lose our next two games against Vandy and USC. Vandy could win out. We'd both have 3 losses. They'd have us head to head.

How hard is that? It's not like Rocket Surgery.

Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member
[QUOTE='78;n305156]How does that work? This is giving me a headache. [/QUOTE]

Are you just making fun of Crete now? They beat us, we beat USC. We would only have two losses. They would have three.

Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Law98gator;n305160 said:
Geeeze.

We could lose our next two games against Vandy and USC. Vandy could win out. We'd both have 3 losses. They'd have us head to head.

You're overlooking what his reply was to. ESPN has Georgia still in the running.

Captain Sasquatch

Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
[QUOTE='78;n305176]

The problem may be in how it's being communicated. If we end up with identical records with Vandy, and they beat us, how does our win over SC vault us over Vandy? Head to head matters first. What am I missing? [/QUOTE]

We won't have identical records with Vandy if we beat South Carolina.

Currently:
Gators: 5-1
Vandy: 1-3

We would have to lose both our games and Vandy would have to win out, then we'd both be 5-3. We just need a win in either of the last two games to win the East.

Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member
[QUOTE='78;n305170]

You're overlooking what his reply was to. ESPN has Georgia still in the running. [/QUOTE]
OK. I guess that's right then. Ugly has tie breaker over Vandy, Vandy has tie breaker over us, we have tiebreaker over Ugly.

Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Captain Sasquatch;n305180 said:
We won't have identical records with Vandy if we beat South Carolina.

Currently:
Gators: 5-1
Vandy: 1-3

We would have to lose both our games and Vandy would have to win out, then we'd both be 5-3. We just need a win in either of the last two games to win the East.

Yeah, I figured that out, unfortunately after I posted.

Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Law98gator;n305181 said:
OK. I guess that's right then. Ugly has tie breaker over Vandy, Vandy has tie breaker over us, we have tiebreaker over Ugly.

You're messing with me. :lol2:

I Have No Friends :(

Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Law98gator;n305160 said:
Geeeze.

First, know what you're responding to. Second, I'll spell it out for you since people seem to be having a hard time figuring this out on their own.

UF = 5-1, beat UGA
UGA = 3-3, loss to UF, beat Vandy
Vandy = 1-3, loss to UGA

The hypothetical here is if UGA and Vandy win out and we lose out. The standing would look like this in the East:

UF = 5-3, beat UGA, loss to Vandy
UGA = 5-3, beat Vandy, loss to UF
Vandy = 5-3, beat UF, loss to UGA

So, yes, there would indeed be a 3-way tie for first and under this scenario I'm not sure what the next tiebreaker would be, but this is the scenario I'm guessing ESPN was referring to when '78 asked his question.

Is everyone on the same page now?

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
To make it easy:

If we beat Vandy or South Carolina then we are in because that would give us a maximum of 2 losses in the SEC when everyone else has 3.

OR

Vandy loses to one of their final 4 SEC teams then we are in because Vandy would have 4 SEC losses when the maximum number of losses we could have in the SEC is 3 and we would own the tie breakers with all other 3 SEC loss teams.

So basically 1 SEC win by us OR 1 SEC loss by Vandy and we clinch the SEC East.

Zambo

Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
I Have No Friends :(;305190 said:
First, know what you're responding to. Second, I'll spell it out for you since people seem to be having a hard time figuring this out on their own.

UF = 5-1, beat UGA
Vandy = 1-3, loss to UGA

The hypothetical here is if UGA and Vandy win out and we lose out. The standing would look like this in the East:

So, yes, there would indeed be a 3-way tie for first and under this scenario I'm not sure what the next tiebreaker would be, but this is the scenario I'm guessing ESPN was referring to when '78 asked his question.

I believe the tiebreaker is our ranking. SEC wants the highest ranked teams in the CG.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Vanderbilt just got horsewhipped by Houston 34 - 0. With Vandy and South Carolina left on the schedule there's almost not any "almost" SEC Champs about it.

MJMGator

Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
I Have No Friends :(;n305190 said:

UF = 5-1, beat UGA
Vandy = 1-3, loss to UGA

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-1436661150.gif

Ancient Reptile

Zambo;n305199 said:
I believe the tiebreaker is our ranking. SEC wants the highest ranked teams in the CG.
Not sure, but I think wins in division comes before ranking. UF And ugly would be 4-2, how about Vandy?

Zambo

Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Here it is

Three-Team Tie (or more)
If three teams (or more) are tied for a division title, the following procedure will be used in the following order: (Note: If one of the procedures results in one team being eliminated and two remaining, the two-team tiebreaker procedure as stated in No. 1 above will be used):
A. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams
B. Record of the tied teams within the division
C. Head-to-head competition against the team within the division with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through the division (multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last and a tie for first place will be broken before a tie for fourth place)
D. Overall Conference record against non-divisional teams
E. Combined record against all common non-divisional teams
F. Record against the common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division; and
G. Changed: Combined SEC record of the team’s cross-divisional opponents

NCOGator

A wins a win but that was ugly! I hope TH can improve bc we need him down the stretch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.