What can we learn from UGA's stunning victory today?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stomped Nicholl's State by 2!!!!!!

What a dominant display by the Butt Sniffers..

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Come to play every day, no matter who the opponent is. They may just be a cupcake, but to them, it's their Super Bowl.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of crazy stuff. Never saw anything like that last second Oklahoma State loss.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia needs to fire Kirby now.......

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Listen fellas. There are lots of decent football players now that DO NOW WANT to sit at a big school. Go to a small school and get a free educations and get to PLAY............Smart. And like someone said, its their super bowl.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cocaine is a hell of a drug and Kirby Smart is a hell of a coach.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Just goes to show you can't overlook the small schools anymore... Unless you're bamuh...

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of teams who are supposed to be stomping Private Pyle's guts out are in fact not stomping Private Pyle's guts out today. :panic:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Their O-Line is as bad as Tennessee's.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Listen fellas. There are lots of decent football players now that DO NOW WANT to sit at a big school. Go to a small school and get a free educations and get to PLAY............Smart. And like someone said, its their super bowl.
Do you have any evidence that Nicholls has recruited any blue chip players in the past 4 years?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Do you have any evidence that Nicholls has recruited any blue chip players in the past 4 years?
I have evidence from scores recently that decent players (or great coaching) is going on at no name schools. My theory is (and I think I have said it) is that good players are tired of sitting at larger schools and go play at the Nichols St and Troy where they can play and get a free education. Stars are just someone's opinion. I have seen plenty of GREAT starred players disappoint and enough walkons or small star guys play damned well.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have evidence from scores recently that decent players (or great coaching) is going on at no name schools. My theory is (and I think I have said it) is that good players are tired of sitting at larger schools and go play at the Nichols St and Troy where they can play and get a free education. Stars are just someone's opinion. I have seen plenty of GREAT starred players disappoint and enough walkons or small star guys play damned well.

These games are nothing new. A decade ago we saw App St a non Div 1a take down #5 Michigan. LA Monroe took down the mighty Nick Saban at Bama. Personally I don't see them any more frequently than than we did in 90s or 2000s.

Of course technically the star rating is an opinion but it had proven to be pretty darn accurate. No one wins championships without lots of stars on their team. Obviously some players won't pan out and there'll be an all American 3* but overall the trend has been clear.

Good players don't need to goto Nichols, Troy or the Citadel to get playing time. There will always be playing time at mid majors like Arkansas, USC, or Missouri in the SEC. Other conferences have their same equivalent.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Teams play down to their competition. It's human nature. Part of coaching is trying to get the players to buy in and overcome the natural tendency to not take lesser opponents seriously. We have certainly been guilty of this in the past. This is nothing new. Nick Saban is one of the best coaches to get his team motivated to play hard no matter who the opponent is. (Yes, I know he lost to Duck Dynasty in his first year).

I also believe that there are a lot of good players at a lot of these so-called smaller programs. The population of the country has grown. The quality of high school football and coaching has gotten better over the years. If you want to go back several decades, the integration of colleges particularly in the South has made for a more wider distribution of talent to more schools.

What we have to guard against is that if we play an uninspiring game against a weaker opponent it does not mean it is the end of the world. By the same token, if we put a big beat down on a lesser opponent it doesn't mean than we are going to Atlanta. You have to come to play every Saturday or get beat. Georgia will get back on track and I guarantee you when it comes to time to play the Gators they will be ready. Tennessee, who seemed over-rated after their performance against Appalachian State, now looks back on track.

In college football things can change from week to week. That's what makes the season interesting. There will be teams that rise and fall throughout the season. And some will rise and fall and then rise again. That's the kind of team I like to see.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Jawga favored by 55... Enough said

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.