What is the reason for Mullen's perceived cap?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Tom Osborne was considered a 9-10 win coach too for a long time, 10 years, before his program starting taking very questionable players like Lawrence Phillips and took off for an incredible run. Finally after 25 seasons they never won fewer than 9 games in a season under his reign. Those 9-10 win seasons ended up being their lowest point.

FIFY

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And started taking very questionable steroids. IIRC Ox has a familymember who played at Nebraska. No doubt bovine testosterone is how the Ox genes got planted in the family.

Also, 9 or 10 wins meant a lot more in the 80s w two or three less games (and with a lot less geographic school cupcakes on the schedule).

10 wins today can mean four blowout losses and be very fvkking mediocre.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
He's 2-2 this year. He beat LSU and MSU and lost to UK and UGA. If any team falls out of the top 25...no it doesn't count anymore.

I am more concerned with how play. We played bad for two games.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I'm sorry if the logic escapes you, but UF isn't MSU. The two aren't comparable & attempting to arbitrarily assign a win "cap" on someone based on one head coaching gig at a sub-standard school is silly.

Hmmm...what about Duke? And Utah? Those were substandard schools for sure....yet great coaches found ways to win there.

My mistrust of Mullen is due to his record at MSU. He never won anything there. Can't say that about Meyer at Utah or Spurrier at Duke.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I am more concerned with how play. We played bad for two games.
October is always tough. Kids out with injuries. Most kids are hurt some. Braces, wraps, bruises, dislocations, ice baths just to walk.

They bleed for this.

We knew we have about thirty less bluechippers than we need and not enough super 3 stars who exceeded expectations.

Frankly, we are lucky to be where we are.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hmmm...what about Duke? And Utah? Those were substandard schools for sure....yet great coaches found ways to win there.

My mistrust of Mullen is due to his record at MSU. He never won anything there. Can't say that about Meyer at Utah or Spurrier at Duke.

Are you trying to say Duke & Utah faced what Mullen did at MSU in the West Division within their conferences? Surely you’re not.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

SEC West? Where coaches go to die under Saban’s reign? Nobody wins in the SEC West other than Alabama. In fact, all the programs have gone to chit by having to gamble to try and catch Saban. Kind of like me in Pick Em.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And started taking very questionable steroids. IIRC Ox has a familymember who played at Nebraska. No doubt bovine testosterone is how the Ox genes got planted in the family.
Ankle troubles put endto Bland's career at NU

51bf7SSNvvL._SX425_.jpg

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
October is always tough. Kids out with injuries. Most kids are hurt some. Braces, wraps, bruises, dislocations, ice baths just to walk.

They bleed for this.

We knew we have about thirty less bluechippers than we need and not enough super 3 stars who exceeded expectations.

Frankly, we are lucky to be where we are.

At the risk of being accused of sunshine pumping AGAIN, I think much of this can be attributed to Savage and Mullen.

We are playing with much more effort.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
SEC West? Where coaches go to die under Saban’s reign? Nobody wins in the SEC West other than Alabama. In fact, all the programs have gone to chit by having to gamble to try and catch Saban. Kind of like me in Pick Em.
Ok. So what value do you place on winning nothing for 9 years?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't say he was good at either, but he was better at being a CEO.
Of what?

He was a 4-8 coach just like Butters. He built a team that sucked just like Butters did. Actually some people like to add that mythical win for beating Idaho so even in his worst year Butters was only 4-7/5*-7.

Is losing to GA South or Vandy being a good CEO?

I know your Muskstank love is strong Doug. You should probably just sit this one out.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of what?

He was a 4-8 coach just like Butters. He built a team that sucked just like Butters did. Actually some people like to add that mythical win for beating Idaho so even in his worst year Butters was only 4-7/5*-7.

Is losing to GA South or Vandy being a good CEO?

I know your Muskstank love is strong Doug. You should probably just sit this one out.

At least he made changes to his staff, that is being a CEO... Butters didn't make the changes needed that is being a better CEO. Now he did hire two OC's as inept as he was as a DC, but at least he attempted to make the needed changes. I didn't say he was great or even good. But the facts are there....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At least he made changes to his staff, that is being a CEO... Butters didn't make the changes needed that is being a better CEO. Now he did hire two OC's as inept as he was as a DC, but at least he attempted to make the needed changes. I didn't say he was great or even good. But the facts are there....
Jeff Immelt deep sixed GE Capital before he left the company in flames.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'll get this right sooner or later.
38fabc003716dfe3a79d6f5a46c067d8.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Again, no one has questioned losing to Saban. But he didnt go 7-1 every year. In fact he had ONLY one winning season and only 5-3.

People question losing to Burp Bielema and Matt Luke 50% of the time.

And losing to South Alabama in year SEVEN (not year one).

There is no way his record can be logically presented as anything other than mediocre.

THAT is why people think he is has a low ceiling.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Butters is so bad he makes this guy look good by comparison:
Foley_Jeremy_hi_res.jpg

:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.