When did Gator Growl die?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=27804

Flavet? They only had 15,000 ppl last year? I remember Dennis Miller(93 I think?) and the hilarious but unknown Love Master Love Craig SHoemaker bringing down the house in '96.

What the F has happened to the student body? Has Muschump ruined football this badly? That is embarrassing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Beaten at home by Vandy on homecoming.

Beaten by Jorga South.

Nearly beaten at home by Lafayette.

Needed to come from behind two scores late against Furman.

No one wants to see that shiiiiit.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Growl was BEFORE the Vandy game. Shameful. I couldn't believe what I read. How was that not HUGE news last year. How could Foley MISS that. What an indictment of the current state of FL football. The people have spoken. What a cluster F. Muschamp better win the East.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
May be its time for Gator Growl to celebrate all Gator athletics. Football is obviously the focus of homecoming, but we have one of the top overall sports programs in college athletics. May provide decent cover for an underachieving football team. Just a thought...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Just looking at the recent list of acts...wow...last year was pretty lame. Sister Hazel? Weren't they the big act back in '98 w/ Chappelle and Ray Romano, Carlos Mencia & Larry the Cable Guy. That has to be the zenith of GG. The acts have really gone down like the team.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. If our badminton team wins the national title I won't feel so bad about only winning four football games.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Last year nobody wanted to go because nobody cared about the acts that were performing. I bought a ticket and showed up for a whopping 10 mins and left to do better things. All of my friends had no interest in the acts that were there. I heard they moved to Flavet because the people they were trying to get didn't want to play across the field from the crowd. Regardless it has gone down hill.

D

DocGator

Founding Member
Founding Member
Robin Williams, Bill Cosby, Ray Romano, Larry the Cable Guy, they were all top acts in their day. Gator Growl has gone down hill since the days of the top acts. They can have "Flavet field". As a 30 year season tx holder, and Gator Booster I believe muschamp has allowed our program to turn into a giant dumpster fire. And Foley is allowing it to burn out of control.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz said:
Yep. If our badminton team wins the national title I won't feel so bad about only winning four football games.
Thank you

Jax Gator

Founding Member
Swamp Thing
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For me it was when the "Smothers Brothers" appeared. They were booed off the stage... Bad night.... I never went again after that...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Football will be back. Right now, expecting kids who spend all their time on their phones and/or connected to social media to break away for any other form of entertainment is a wishful thinking. And BTW, Sister Hazel is a regular on Dooley's music review. May be a connection there?

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Add Billy Crystal. Jay Leno and Rodney Dangerfield to that list, and that's just people I saw live during Growl. I was there when Bob Hope was booed off that stage and when Robin Williams grabbed a co-ed's camera and stuck it down his pants to take a photo of "Mr. Happy."

This boils down to UF Student Government and Florida Blue Key letting the show decline. Nothing to do with the Athletic Department. Could it be our student body is now a bunch of computer obsessed nerds with zero creativity? :dunno: We were a wild, raunchy and free thinking bunch in the early 80's.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
DocGator said:
Robin Williams, Bill Cosby, Ray Romano, Larry the Cable Guy, they were all top acts in their day. Gator Growl has gone down hill since the days of the top acts. They can have "Flavet field". As a 30 year season tx holder, and Gator Booster I believe muschamp has allowed our program to turn into a giant dumpster fire. And Foley is allowing it to burn out of control.
While I somewhat agree about your football comments, how is Growl involved. When I attended we were not a top flight team, but the stadium was packed. It lasted late for fireworks and many students attended. So the acts and somewhat students not being enthused with these sorts of things is probably responsible.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I saw Carrottop in I either 1998 or 1999 and it sucked balls. It was horrible. I went to every Gator Growl from 1985-til then. It was steadily going down well before then, but that was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n14974 said:
Football will be back. Right now, expecting kids who spend all their time on their phones and/or connected to social media to break away for any other form of entertainment is a wishful thinking. And BTW, Sister Hazel is a regular on Dooley's music review. May be a connection there?

Probably this.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The main act last year was the fray, sister hazel was an opening. Football does have some to do with it, there was already a lack of excitement around the program. Still, had a better act been present there would have been more attendance.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of Sister Hazel who else was in Gainesville when their first single dropped and Rock 104 (103.7) and Kiss 105 (105.3) played that damn song every fifth song that day?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Last time I went was around 03 or 04, not sure which, but it was the year Jay Mohr and Sugar Ray headlined. God, that was awful, Mohr was patently terrible. We also had just entered into the zook doldrums... that did it for me.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Last time I went was when Jim Gaffigan was there. It was a pretty decent show.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ppinesgator said:
Add Billy Crystal. Jay Leno and Rodney Dangerfield to that list, and that's just people I saw live during Growl. I was there when Bob Hope was booed off that stage and when Robin Williams grabbed a co-ed's camera and stuck it down his pants to take a photo of "Mr. Happy."

This boils down to UF Student Government and Florida Blue Key letting the show decline. Nothing to do with the Athletic Department. Could it be our student body is now a bunch of computer obsessed nerds with zero creativity? :dunno: We were a wild, raunchy and free thinking bunch in the early 80's.
Exactly.. how and why people are linking this to the Athletic Department is mind boggling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator