Who’s ponying up to pay for this place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Ox, have you thought about keeping everything else the same but setting up a Patreon for people who want to donate to the site? You'd probably see a fair portion of the core users contribute voluntarily and it would avoid the attrition you'd likely get by going to a hard paywall. You could do some kind of special badge for contributors or something, maybe a new type of exclusive content?
This sounds uncomfortably close to ox setting up an OnlyFans.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can't do it. Everything is getting more expensive, and we're barely keeping up. My wife isn't working due to health problems she's had, plus we have small children, and it's tough to get by on one salary at a place with financial problems who recently had to lay people off. I'm blessed to have job security, but I just got a promotion with only a 1.5% raise.

I'll miss posting, mostly lurking here. I guess I should wean myself off these next few weeks, so I don't have withdrawals in Oct. But it's fine. I understand why Ox is doing this. Hope it works out.
No reason to go anywhere yet. A lot of details still to work out, I’m sure.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Say....Just curious, What would a subscription to "OnlyFans" cost?

Asking for a friend, of course.
Depends on how much you’re willing to pay to see what you want to see. People pay big money to see other people’s feet.

I don’t get it…

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
That is a good point though,
Also, I wouldn't want to hamper opposing fans from coming in talking smack in the week before a rivalry game. So I do agree some type of trial period is a good idea.
That's a really good point. Not that we have too many come on here lately, but we have had a few in the past and it has been entertaining banter. How would opposing fans post?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's Ox's board. He built it from scratch, planned and worked tirelessly, delegated technical tasks to talented people. And continued to add bells and whistles as the years went by. For a bullpen board -- one driven mainly by banter and camaraderie and Mom jokes -- I see it as a great source of entertainment. Information? We've got some smart and connected people. I think it's underutilized. That's the area that should be expanded, improved and behind a wall. Not the bullpen.

Most UF fans with an online presence, and to a lesser but no less important degree devoted SEC football fans, know of Chatter by now. The fishbowl aspect makes it an important and accessible gauge of fan temperature. You always know Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and FSU fans are looking in from outside. Occasionally they'll make an appearance. That open aspect will be lost if the bullpen is closed. My advice is simply don't do it. The regular regulars are still going to pay the $60 for the right to post in the pen.

I approached Ox a week ago yesterday about going subscription, bringing in true premium content, giving the place more of a sense of exclusivity while maintaining the bullpen feel. He thought the timing was "terrible" but acknowledged he had toyed with the idea for some time. We left it at that.

Two days later, after a clash of views in the Utah game thread, the idea was suddenly in play. Maybe he's frustrated or just feeling worn out as many of us are after 14 years of ineptitude and growing apathy. Maybe he's both. I can't blame him, even if the initial announcement did come off sounding like the weaponization of fees. Napier may be our last realistic hope at restoring the pride. Last week was an awful start to the season.

This is where I go to shoot the shyt about my Gators. Sixty bucks? Not an issue. I will happily pay and continue to visit even I have to log in for the latest Mom joke. *sigh*

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I approached Ox a week ago yesterday about going subscription, bringing in true premium content, giving the place more of a sense of exclusivity while maintaining the bullpen feel.

Two days later, ...the idea was suddenly in play.
So we have you to blame? Meet me outside the box after the Tenerc game. Gonna have to whup $60 bucks worth of your ass.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Look at the time saved because people post links to Twitter, articles, podcasts, etc. I don't have time to search those various channels.
Thats the part I don't get with those that are complaining about paying.....If used correctly this site cuts through a ton of BS, and you get a lot more thought-provoking info than reading it from some other paid smuck who puts a spin on it and charges for it anyway.

This not only goes for the sports forum. Some of you guys should really check out and contribute to the Home, Auto & Hobby and Business/Investing forums too. I have learned a sh!t ton about those topics from people who have had experiences and advice (not always taken)....

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's Ox's board. He built it from scratch, planned and worked tirelessly, delegated technical tasks to talented people. And continued to add bells and whistles as the years went by. For a bullpen board -- one driven mainly by banter and camaraderie and Mom jokes -- I see it as a great source of entertainment. Information? We've got some smart and connected people. I think it's underutilized. That's the area that should be expanded, improved and behind a wall. Not the bullpen.

Most UF fans with an online presence, and to a lesser but no less important degree devoted SEC football fans, know of Chatter by now. The fishbowl aspect makes it an important and accessible gauge of fan temperature. You always know Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and FSU fans are looking in from outside. Occasionally they'll make an appearance. That open aspect will be lost if the bullpen is closed. My advice is simply don't do it. The regular regulars are still going to pay the $60 for the right to post in the pen.

I approached Ox a week ago yesterday about going subscription, bringing in true premium content, giving the place more of a sense of exclusivity while maintaining the bullpen feel. He thought the timing was "terrible" but acknowledged he had toyed with the idea for some time. We left it at that.

Two days later, after a clash of views in the Utah game thread, the idea was suddenly in play. Maybe he's frustrated or just feeling worn out as many of us are after 14 years of ineptitude and growing apathy. Maybe he's both. I can't blame him, even if the initial announcement did come off sounding like the weaponization of fees. Napier may be our last realistic hope at restoring the pride. Last week was an awful start to the season.

This is where I go to shoot the shyt about my Gators. Sixty bucks? Not an issue. I will happily pay and continue to visit even I have to log in for the latest Mom joke. *sigh*
My question is, what's the pay off? Is it just more of the same or is there a plan to make this site better?
Why does it have to be one or the other? Couldn't a subscription model live along side an ad based model and they simply be separate "tiers"? Subscription version gets access to VIP threads (like stickied threads) while ad based model doesn't....they just get bombarded with ads :lol: Hell you could have 3 levels, with a middle level not accessing VIP threads, but does away with the ads with a price somewhere in the middle.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My question is, what's the pay off? Is it just more of the same or is there a plan to make this site better?
Why does it have to be one or the other? Couldn't a subscription model live along side an ad based model and they simply be separate "tiers"? Subscription version gets access to VIP threads (like stickied threads) while ad based model doesn't....they just get bombarded with ads :lol: Hell you could have 3 levels, with a middle level not accessing VIP threads, but does away with the ads with a price somewhere in the middle.

I have to assume after a few years of membership, there’s a free sub or hat involved.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
There's a lot of merit to this. The only downside is the effort it would take to wrangle all of the people, levels, payments, and access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator