Who has emerged or faded under the new staff?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Massey has faded so badly he has disappeared
You guys don't even remember him.

Faded from what? To fade you have have been somewhere. I guess he has faded from 11 catches in 2017 to 1 so far in 2018, but that is an awfully low threshold to "fade" from.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Scarlette averaged 5.0 yards per carry his first two seasons at UF. This season he is averaging 5.1 yards per carry. He is who he is regardless of staff apparently.

There's some truth to that, but he seems much more tentative than before. It almost seems as if he's thinking too much and relying on his runner's instincts too little. His physical ability is unchanged, his alacrity in finding and hitting the hole is noticeably diminished. He has, as was already stated, clearly regressed. Incidentally, the OP made his criteria quite plain - several have stepped it up, while others have apparently been slow to respond. Franks, Swain, Ivey (IMO) Sean Davis, Stewart, Henderson, Hammond and Perine come to mind as players with at least some sort of track record who have upped their game and are playing a more significant role as a result.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Swain & Hammond have emerged due to Van Jefferson & Grimes being here. They are not quite #1 & 2 receivers but they are great 3 & 4 receivers.

Jefferson has every defense slanted to double him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Didn't Massey move to defense? Also, McCoy is injured (I think).

Swain has been a big surprise, but (imo) Franks has seen the most improvement.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Re-watched the MSU game with special attention to Ivy. Thought he played wwwe although he appeared to be holding on the long pass play Taylor got called on.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
There's some truth to that, but he seems much more tentative than before. It almost seems as if he's thinking too much and relying on his runner's instincts too little. His physical ability is unchanged, his alacrity in finding and hitting the hole is noticeably diminished. He has, as was already stated, clearly regressed. Incidentally, the OP made his criteria quite plain - several have stepped it up, while others have apparently been slow to respond. Franks, Swain, Ivey (IMO) Sean Davis, Stewart, Henderson, Hammond and Perine come to mind as players with at least some sort of track record who have upped their game and are playing a more significant role as a result.

I can see that you might see it that way. I wonder how much of what you see as tentative is sssslllllloooooowwwwwllllllyyyyy developing running plays. Many if not all of the running plays in this offense do not call for the RB to quickly hit the hole with authority.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Scarlett has had moments of brilliance this season, but didn't play well last game. He has been the least consistent of the three
backs. He needs to run like the did on his touchdown score against Tenn every snap. Effort usually isn't his problem. He runs hard
just doesn't have the vision our other backs do. Swain has been great . In addition to blossoming as a pass catcher he is also
a very reliable return man.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's some truth to that, but he seems much more tentative than before. It almost seems as if he's thinking too much and relying on his runner's instincts too little. His physical ability is unchanged, his alacrity in finding and hitting the hole is noticeably diminished. He has, as was already stated, clearly regressed.

Kind of appears that way to me also with Scarlett but he has never been good with hitting the holes real quick. That was where Davis was quite a bit better than him.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Massey has faded so badly he has disappeared
You guys don't even remember him.

He’s more of a never was. There was a ton of hype, then the injury and he really hasn’t ever come back. If he had blistering speed, a lost half step makes him human and 5’9” or whatever.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I can see that you might see it that way. I wonder how much of what you see as tentative is sssslllllloooooowwwwwllllllyyyyy developing running plays. Many if not all of the running plays in this offense do not call for the RB to quickly hit the hole with authority.

Then explain why Davis (pre-injury), Perine and Pierce don’t seem to struggle with hitting the hole quickly. Does DM only call the slowly developing plays when JS is out there?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Then explain why Davis (pre-injury), Perine and Pierce don’t seem to struggle with hitting the hole quickly. Does DM only call the slowly developing plays when JS is out there?

I think all of those players do not hit the hole quickly. I see that as the nature of the offense. That said, I agree Scarlette is the slowest of the group to hit the hole, but in my view he was slow to hit the hole before he was suspended for a year too. So I just do not see a change in him, he is about the RB I expected him to be this year.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Massey move to defense? Also, McCoy is injured (I think).

Swain has been a big surprise, but (imo) Franks has seen the most improvement.

I don't remember hearing anything about an injury. What i do remember is a battle for the starting center role between McCoy and Buchanan and McCoy losing the battle.
I think only his pride is injured.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think someone lost the milk carton that had "5*" Antonneous Clayton's picture on it.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Special teams is back from the dead. Gator Pride on the rise. Haters fading fast... let’s see what this next weekend brings...College football b*tches!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.