• Dwag Robinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No one, Dan keeps them all until he gets fired

Votes: 38 55.1%

• Total voters

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Surviving Stricklin and surviving here are two different worlds. That double-digit win thing creates a dilemma.

You just saw how a mutiny changes everything with the Taggart firing, and to a degree with the Schiano disaster at ut. Right or wrong, fans, specifically those with heavy financial influence, can force a change. And I'm not even saying that it's a good thing, nor do I have a ton of faith in those same high level boosters to make a good call(see comments on WM above). But social media and perception have changed the landscape dramatically in these matters.

All that said, I think Mullen is a winner at heart and eventually wakes up. No one wants to be the guy at a dinner party having to tell the story about how they could've made it at a place like UF but made inexplicable decisions that prevented it. He'll make radical staff changes and take us to the next level. That's my hope at least because I truly believe he can bring some great times here if he does.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I, too, have faith he’ll get there eventually. It’s the eventually that concerns me. He’ll have to be a good dancer in the meantime.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
One thing that Mullen keeps saying that honestly pisses me off is "UF is the only top 10 academic school and top 10 school in football".

First of all, yes UF is a highly rated academic institution, but it is not in the top 10. It is a top 10 public school. Big difference. Second of all, elite recruits do not give a FVVK. If you think that is the primary draw to a football team, you are delusional.

Now I did feel he was tired and not in a good mood. He does understand that facilities will make a difference it seems. He also mentioned how "changes in coaching" helped recruiting on the defense with bringing in Torian Gray and David Turner. Unfortunately, he did not make those changes. The position coaches left and he had to bring in some new guys.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He also mentioned how "changes in coaching" helped recruiting on the defense with bringing in Torian Gray and David Turner. Unfortunately, he did not make those changes. The position coaches left and he had to bring in some new guys.

Usually when coaches leave it’s because they’ve been encouraged to look elsewhere. Unless it’s something like a head-coaching position or a drastic upgrade from a position coach to a coordinator role with a P5 program.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I have my doubts about him being gone after 1 or 2 more losses to dwags (if that is what transpires). Losing to them or not, if he keeps getting around 10 wins a year and NY6 invites, I dont believe for one second he is let go. Stricklin isn't a Gator, and his idea of winning big is 10 wins and a nice bowl, its not championships.

Also, for all the talk about how the boosters loved chump despite his lousy teams and records, I find it hard to believe that they'd grow to hate mullen despite his 10 wins and NY6's. Just my opinion but if he stays at 9 wins or above consistently, he's here for the long haul. So like Ive said numerous times already, he's our very own Mark Richt.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
You just saw how a mutiny changes everything with the Taggart firing, and to a degree with the Schiano disaster at ut. Right or wrong, fans, specifically those with heavy financial influence, can force a change. And I'm not even saying that it's a good thing, nor do I have a ton of faith in those same high level boosters to make a good call(see comments on WM above). But social media and perception have changed the landscape dramatically in these matters.

All that said, I think Mullen is a winner at heart and eventually wakes up. No one wants to be the guy at a dinner party having to tell the story about how they could've made it at a place like UF but made inexplicable decisions that prevented it. He'll make radical staff changes and take us to the next level. That's my hope at least because I truly believe he can bring some great times here if he does.

I sincerely hope you're right. The old saw about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is attributed to Albert Einstein - and he was almost as smart the donkey, so it must be true. Time will tell.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have my doubts about him being gone after 1 or 2 more losses to dwags (if that is what transpires). Losing to them or not, if he keeps getting around 10 wins a year and NY6 invites, I dont believe for one second he is let go. Stricklin isn't a Gator, and his idea of winning big is 10 wins and a nice bowl, its not championships.

Also, for all the talk about how the boosters loved chump despite his lousy teams and records, I find it hard to believe that they'd grow to hate mullen despite his 10 wins and NY6's. Just my opinion but if he stays at 9 wins or above consistently, he's here for the long haul. So like Ive said numerous times already, he's our very own Mark Richt.

This has always been my fear about him. We are going to be ok with mediocrity.

Albert

Enormous Member
Aug 22, 2014
No one is getting let go before the bowl game. If in fact Grantham and/or others are headed to Sunbelt, CUSA et al of their own choosing, it will be after New Years and before NSD.
That happening will open up Dan to start making changes. But it certainly ain’t happening in the next 2 weeks.
Personally, I think Gonzales is toast. The televising of Mullen lighting him up on the sideline can’t be unseen. I think he knows it and I think WR recruits know it, thus the situation we have today.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For 2019’s class we had one recruiter in the top 20 SEC recruiters list by 247. BG at #20

For this class we had 3. Gray at 11. Larry Scott at 13. Christian Robinson at 15. Brian Johnson barely missed the cut at 22nd.

Christian Robinson is ranked 7th for next year’s class so far.

Donkey has been banging on Robinson. He brought Fraziars, Rogers, and Wingo.

Charlton Warren (who defected to the dwags) is ranked 46th. Rumph who went to TN is ranked 80th

3rd and Grantham is RANKED 86th.

Knox is RANKED 120th.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Surviving Stricklin and surviving here are two different worlds. That double-digit win thing creates a dilemma.
No one gives a shyt about beating four geographic schools and bunch of sec east east garbage.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

But even the Richt comparison(strictly from a personality standpoint) isn't equitable. The uga fans absolutely worshiped the ground he walked on because he was "a good man". I used to read their boards. He was beloved, and you still have some that didn't like the swap for Smart. Mullen isn't revered as some religious guy that fans can live vicariously through to make themselves feel better the was MR was. He's a decent guy and likable, but as ltraz pointed out, was not a popular pick from day one, and doesn't possess any of the same qualities that WM or even Zook had. Why do you think so many, including on here, were fine--even happy--to see Meyer go. They hated him as a person. He was never one of them, and I've heard that straight from Bulls' mouths. Mullen in many ways is just an extension of that. They'll be fine as long as he's winning. But when/if he hits his ceiling(which is still way too early to determine regardless of what some think), and goes 3 or 4 in a row to uga, plus possibly losing some ground to either ut or the noles, there will be grumbling.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

What? David Turner had one of the best DL hauls in the nation. With virtually zero SEC connections. After 1 year.

How the hell is Grantham ranked 86th? Or BIlly G in the 70s? Or Knox 120?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
But even the Richt comparison(strictly from a personality standpoint) isn't equitable. The uga fans absolutely worshiped the ground he walked on because he was "a good man". I used to read their boards. He was beloved, and you still have some that didn't like the swap for Smart. Mullen isn't revered as some religious guy that fans can live vicariously through to make themselves feel better the was MR was. He's a decent guy and likable, but as ltraz pointed out, was not a popular pick from day one, and doesn't possess any of the same qualities that WM or even Zook had. Why do you think so many, including on here, were fine--even happy--to see Meyer go. They hated him as a person. He was never one of them, and I've heard that straight from Bulls' mouths. Mullen in many ways is just an extension of that. They'll be fine as long as he's winning. But when/if he hits his ceiling(which is still way too early to determine regardless of what some think), and goes 3 or 4 in a row to uga, plus possibly losing some ground to either ut or the noles, there will be grumbling.
Listen, I'm fine with what you're arguing. I fully support it. I just don't think its the reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.