Who should Mullen's replacement be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So..that's an interesting observation. Jerry Falwells school was so determined to have a winning program that they threw caution to the wind and and hired Freeze. And yet we are pissing in that same wind. That's how little interest the current AA has in championship football.

Well I don’t think he’d be a PR risk. But the administration for sure would.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I just knew Nola would be the first to bring up Kerwin Bell, I was wrong. You know how we're all praying FSU hires Deion, FSU and UGA are praying we hire Kerwin Bell.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
A depressing realization that there is nobody out there that is a sure thing to turn this around. Everyone knew when SOS was hired he would lead us to greatness. Everyone knew when CUM was hired he would lead us to greatness.

There is nobody out there that gives me that feeling.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Cristobal
Brady
Leftwich
F it...SOS

Like others, I’d say the top 2 should be getting serious looks. I had no idea Brady was from Florida, so that could help him ultimately stay home. But I do think the NFL would be an annual risk. Like a real risk, not manufactured. Cristobal would be a 2 way win if he’s successful here. The obvious, we’d be good. And it would infuriate the canes who think he’s there’s to lose.

On Franklin, he should’ve already been here since 2013. That’s the scary part. This administration from top to bottom should go. They held on to WM and watched Psu take the guy who destroyed him in the Swamp. The fact that they’ll be involved at all, once again, is concerning to say the least.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Like others, I’d say the top 2 should be getting serious looks. I had no idea Brady was from Florida, so that could help him ultimately stay home. But I do think the NFL would be an annual risk. Like a real risk, not manufactured. Cristobal would be a 2 way win if he’s successful here. The obvious, we’d be good. And it would infuriate the canes who think he’s there’s to lose.

On Franklin, he should’ve already been here since 2013. That’s the scary part. This administration from top to bottom should go. They held on to WM and watched Psu take the guy who destroyed him in the Swamp. The fact that they’ll be involved at all, once again, is concerning to say the least.

I’m sure there’s already a couple of non power 5 up and comers they have they’re eye on.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m sure there’s already a couple of non power 5 up and comers they have they’re eye on.

That seems to be more of Foley’s specific approach. Stricklin is more into the cliche and obvious choices. There were probably pan-sports writers in Pakistan that nailed our three candidates, and the order we’d list them, back in 2017.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
1. Back up a Brinks truck for Joe Brady. Make him say no. If he does...
2. Do the same for Venables. Tell him he gets carte blanche for facilities and staff and encourage him to go get an NFL up and comer position coach as OC. With Clemson being as "down" as they've been in ages and the strength of our opening, this would be the job if he's ever gonna move to being an HC. If he says no...
3. Cristobal/Fleck/Franklin, etc. Established coaches who can win. We shouldn't need to dip below this level.

Hugh Freeze would bring the NCAA with him on day 1 and Lane Kiffin would flame out in a couple years like he always does. Gotta take a pass on them because of that, even though they'd definitely win in the short run.

If we want to play with the big boys, we need to be willing to spend the money to make that happen. Not sure Stricklin or anyone else in the AD is. If they're not, clean house and find people who will.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
1. Back up a Brinks truck for Joe Brady. Make him say no. If he does...
2. Do the same for Venables. Tell him he gets carte blanche for facilities and staff and encourage him to go get an NFL up and comer position coach as OC. With Clemson being as "down" as they've been in ages and the strength of our opening, this would be the job if he's ever gonna move to being an HC. If he says no...
3. Cristobal/Fleck/Franklin, etc. Established coaches who can win. We shouldn't need to dip below this level.

Hugh Freeze would bring the NCAA with him on day 1 and Lane Kiffin would flame out in a couple years like he always does. Gotta take a pass on them because of that, even though they'd definitely win in the short run.

If we want to play with the big boys, we need to be willing to spend the money to make that happen. Not sure Stricklin or anyone else in the AD is. If they're not, clean house and find people who will.

No first time HC’s and definitely not a DC. I’d make an exception for Brady just because of the night and day difference at Lsu and his notoriety which would kill it in recruiting.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I just knew Nola would be the first to bring up Kerwin Bell, I was wrong. You know how we're all praying FSU hires Deion, FSU and UGA are praying we hire Kerwin Bell.

Don't forget scUM hiring Ed Reed as HC as well.

Fickell is my #1 choice and has been for awhile.

Somebody is going to roll the dice on Chadwell at some point and strike gold I believe.

Hugh Freeze will get another gig too, but who risks the baggage?

Wild card? Bob Stoops, yes, he's 61, but if you get Smiling Dork Stricklin out of the way, you know him and SOS are still tight.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
"Venables shared earlier today that this past year, with attractive openings at places like Auburn and UCF among a host of others, he was closer to taking a head coaching job than he perhaps has ever been before."

Why did Brent Venables spurn head coaching opportunities to once again return to Clemson?

He's obviously got his heart set on a select few spots then. Maybe OU if Riley leaves, I don't know. I can guarantee you he will go to a place that has a football first mentality from the administration, and UF doesn't posess that at present time.

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
No first time HC’s and definitely not a DC. I’d make an exception for Brady just because of the night and day difference at Lsu and his notoriety which would kill it in recruiting.

I agree with that in general, with a specific exception for Venables. He's not from the Saban tree, he's a Stoops guy, and teams where he's coached have always had good offenses apart from Clemson this year. I'd hope and suspect he's learned the value of scoring points from his experiences in a way the Sabanites never did.

He doesn't feel like a Muschamp to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator