Status
Not open for further replies.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@FootballScoop: Washington to reportedly fire Jimmy Lake Washington to reportedly fire Jimmy Lake via @zach_barnett
@Brett_McMurphy: Washington fires coach Jimmy Lake after only 13 games. “He had to go,” source told @ActionNetworkHQ. “The recruiting was worst it’s ever been. We were fearing we’d revert back to the (Ty) Willingham days. He had very few allies here"

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Washington fans expectations are too high, noone can live up to that standard. You can't just get rid of a coach quickly, noone will want the job. It takes at least 6 years to really build a program. Recruiting will only get worse if you don't keep a guy who can't recruit.

Am I doing this right?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@Brett_McMurphy: Washington fires coach Jimmy Lake after only 13 games. “He had to go,” source told @ActionNetworkHQ. “The recruiting was worst it’s ever been. We were fearing we’d revert back to the (Ty) Willingham days. He had very few allies here"

THIRTEEN games. Kudos to UW. Whatever the issue, they said it aint gonna change so time to pull the plug!!!! Now that is being PROACTIVE, a word never uttered within the UF Admin offices!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@FootballScoop: Washington to reportedly fire Jimmy Lake Washington to reportedly fire Jimmy Lake via @zach_barnett

"Making a head coaching change in any sport is difficult, recognizing that the decision impacts coaches, staff, student-athletes and their families," Washington athletic director Jen Cohen said in a statement. "However, as the steward of UW Athletics, I must always act in the best interests of our student-athletes, our department and our university. No one wanted Jimmy to succeed more than I when I hired him in 2019, but ultimately, this change is necessary for a variety of reasons, both on the field and off.

And a woman nonetheless, what the hell does she know about football? good for her. Hired a mistake and realized it and cut it. I wish our female AD had the balls that the UW AD has.

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
For anybody or any journalist out there saying the list for a replacement for Mullen is short. How is waiting one more year going to help? Is that what they are trying to say? We hold on to mullen because the pool isnt that big? Anything is better than mullen right now. I know ox and a bunch of others here hate kiffin but I am warming up to that idea every day. I just want someone that can recruit. I'm so tired of getting beat out on all the elite players. Next guy has to get us back in the game in getting some elite players. That could fix the program pretty quickly.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
More on Kiffin's recruiting ability...

Ole Miss recruiting class ranking dating back to 2002:

David Cutcliffe: 33, 37, 30
Ed Orgeron: 30*, 15, 27
Houston Nutt: 29*, 18, 18, 19
Hugh Freeze: 40*, 7, 19, 21, 7, 39
Matt Luke: 27, 22
Lane Kiffin: 46*, 17, ?

*transition class

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I thought ole Huge Freeze raked in the #1 class the year they paid Treadwell, Tunsil and KImChi to show up.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
Jimmy Lake hit one of his players during a game for committing a dumb penalty, if I recall the article correctly. That's why he got fired.

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
More on Kiffin's recruiting ability...

Ole Miss recruiting class ranking dating back to 2002:

David Cutcliffe: 33, 37, 30
Ed Orgeron: 30*, 15, 27
Houston Nutt: 29*, 18, 18, 19
Hugh Freeze: 40*, 7, 19, 21, 7, 39
Matt Luke: 27, 22
Lane Kiffin: 46*, 17, ?

*transition class
He had like the 8th ranked class in a transition year at UT. Not bad. He also had three pretty good recruiting classes under sanctions at usc before he was fired.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
He had like the 8th ranked class in a transition year at UT. Not bad. He also had three pretty good recruiting classes under sanctions at usc before he was fired.

I look at that list, and Houston Nutt coached at Arkansas prior to being at Ole Miss. So he probably had a lot of recruiting connections from his Arkansas days that helped him. Matt Luke is similar because he was promoted from Freeze's staff.

Orgeron is an elite recruiter, and the best he could do in his first real class at Ole Miss is 15th. Kiffin was at least in the neighborhood of that number in his 2nd class at 17th. And it is worth mentioning that Orgeron did not have the two death stars at Bama and UGA to deal with who can poach the top Mississippi recruits at will. But that cuts both ways I think because Bama takes more players nationally. They used to dip into MS a lot more than they do now.

About Orgeron's best class: there were 11 4* recruits and Ole Miss was able to get 4 of them. Kiffin has 4 of the 10 4* recruits in the state of Mississippi as of today, so he's doing about as well in state as Orgeron did.

Freeze was playing dirty and he was able to bring in the 5* talent because of it. He also had Mullen as his recruiting competition in state, but Kiffin has Leach. So that is probably a wash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.