GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
IMO

Keep:

Lawing - Great D-Line coach
Summers - Great O-Line coach. We've already seen immense strides in o-line production in his first year.
T-Rob - Not sure what position he could coach but his recruiting prowess in S. Florida is a huge advantage for us.

In the discussion:

Hutzler - Young, rising coach. Great at ST in his last stop. Completely turned around our kicking/punting game from last season.

Axe:

Leak - Should technically still be a GA. Promoted way too quickly. Forced into the fire due to Joker's release.
Roper - I have no idea how he would have been without Muschamp. But I like a vertical, attacking offense. Not a horizontal one.
Lewis - Good recruiter for LA. But has he done anything else? TE's have been a disaster under him.
White - Again, RB play has been mediocre under him.
Dillman - For all the hype, I haven't seen any significant positive gain in player endurance or strength.
Durkin - ST, Linebacker, and then DC - All within 3 years. Not ready to be a DC IMO. Maybe down the line. But pretty terrible right now.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I agree with you J. The only one I don't know about of the keepers is Lawing. He hasn't wowed me with what he has had to work with here but he would be good for recruiting I would say. Really depends on what kind of coach is hired too.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Look at most of those coaches and their history especially Roper, White, Summers, Lawing. They have been solid coaches elsewhere and now they seem mediocre. Sometimes a change of scenery can bring life back into coaches or at least working or someone new. I wouldn't mind having Gator J's keep suggestions stay along with Hutzler. I would feel awful for Leak if he got canned.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n87786 said:
IMO

Keep:

Lawing - Great D-Line coach
Summers - Great O-Line coach. We've already seen immense strides in o-line production in his first year.
T-Rob - Not sure what position he could coach but his recruiting prowess in S. Florida is a huge advantage for us.

In the discussion:

Hutzler - Young, rising coach. Great at ST in his last stop. Completely turned around our kicking/punting game from last season.

I agree with this.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This will be a fun thread to watch. I like your list J, but I'd keep Roper too. I think after 4 years we know why the offense looks nothing like Roper's offense at Duke. He isn't being allowed to open it up because of Muschamp's hatred of the forward pass, and Driskel's limited skill set.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n87809 said:
Look at most of those coaches and their history especially Roper, White, Summers, Lawing. They have been solid coaches elsewhere and now they seem mediocre. Sometimes a change of scenery can bring life back into coaches or at least working or someone new. I wouldn't mind having Gator J's keep suggestions stay along with Hutzler. I would feel awful for Leak if he got canned.

Outside of when Roper was running Cutcliffe offense where has he succeeded? It's like Pease, who outside of one year running Harsin's offense, where did he succeed? Summers has been a success here, and was previously. Lawing has developed some pretty good defensive lines, and seems to be doing the same with the young talent here. White was an alright offensive coordinator at Wisconsin, and a pretty good Tight Ends coach.. but I wouldn't call him a success at running backs coach anywhere else.

So I would say historically they are right now par, what exactly is your argument? Muschamp hires guys that don't live up to Florida's standards?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Keep Summers and Robinson. Everyone else is either iffy or under par. If we keep Leak it should be as a QB coach . I could see
keeping Lawing , but he wouldn't be hard to replace either. Moving to a spread with downhill runners like Jones and Taylor wasn't going to work.
Asking a 6'8 350 pound Trenton Brown to be a pulling guard is one of the more foolish things ive seen. This is a decent run blocking group if you ask them
to pound forward. Lateral movement up front isn't a strength and unfortunately that is a prerequisite for Roper or any spread attack.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gatorbait25;n87915 said:
Keep Summers and Robinson. Everyone else is either iffy or under par. If we keep Leak it should be as a QB coach . I could see
keeping Lawing , but he wouldn't be hard to replace either. Moving to a spread with downhill runners like Jones and Taylor wasn't going to work.
Asking a 6'8 350 pound Trenton Brown to be a pulling guard is one of the more foolish things ive seen. This is a decent run blocking group if you ask them
to pound forward. Lateral movement up front isn't a strength and unfortunately that is a prerequisite for Roper or any spread attack.
Would that not fall on Summers?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n87919 said:
Would that not fall on Summers?

I would argue no. He isn't designing the plays or calling them. He's being asked to teach a kid to do something that doesn't best fit his ability.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
TheDouglas78;n87882 said:
Outside of when Roper was running Cutcliffe offense where has he succeeded? It's like Pease, who outside of one year running Harsin's offense, where did he succeed? Summers has been a success here, and was previously. Lawing has developed some pretty good defensive lines, and seems to be doing the same with the young talent here. White was an alright offensive coordinator at Wisconsin, and a pretty good Tight Ends coach.. but I wouldn't call him a success at running backs coach anywhere else.

So I would say historically they are right now par, what exactly is your argument? Muschamp hires guys that don't live up to Florida's standards?

Ron Dayne, Michael Bennett, and Anthony Davis were beasts at Wisconsin and White was their RB coach at the time. I think you missed my point. Muschamp hired some solid coaches, but he can't get the best out of them for whatever reason.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gatorbait25;n87926 said:
I would argue no. He isn't designing the plays or calling them. He's being asked to teach a kid to do something that doesn't best fit his ability.
I see both sides. I do think position coaches do need to step in and say what their personnel's limits are. You are correct though that it is more than likely the play caller that will get the final word.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know how I left out DJ Durkin in the OP. He should be gone as well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n87935 said:
Ron Dayne, Michael Bennett, and Anthony Davis were beasts at Wisconsin and White was their RB coach at the time. I think you missed my point. Muschamp hired some solid coaches, but he can't get the best out of them for whatever reason.

What solid coaches are your referring too? I noticed how you focused on one and not the others mentioned, is there a reason for that? A guy who was a OC/running backs coach at Wisconsin just to not be a running backs coach again until Muschamp. Could there be a reason for that. Could there be a reason Wisconsin running backs before and after him usually do pretty well? Because before White was Running back coach the two back system ran for 2,200+ yards. White was the running backs coach for Dayne, but also was OC for Bennett and Anthony Davis. Anthony Davis was apparently developed so well he was a 7th round pick and had a decent career for the Canadian Football League. Bennett was a first round pick after having one distinguishable season as a starter at Wisconsin (1592 yards). Ron Dayne was the only back of the three were he was just the running backs coach, and Ron Dayne produced. But was that a product of Dayne or the massive holes made for him by that offensive line (was the 11th pick overall). And if he was such a great Running Backs coach as you claim, why did it take him 6 years to become one again from 2006-2010 being a offensive coordinator or tight ends coach.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
So you're telling me most of the assistants he hired are crap. What I'm trying to say is at some point these assistants have had success when working for good head coaches. That isn't the case under Muschamp. Plus being great in college doesn't mean success in the NFL.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What the hell makes you think there's going to be a new head coach? Based on recent official statements, you're quite the optimist. Pumper, some would say...

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gatorbreath;88086 said:
What the hell makes you think there's going to be a new head coach? Based on recent official statements, you're quite the optimist. Pumper, some would say...
Is this a real post or did something go over my head here.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n88091 said:
Originally posted by Gatorbreath

Is this a real post or did something go over my head here.

I guess the better question is, did I miss something?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Gatorbreath;88094 said:
Ray Finkle;n88091 said:
Originally posted by Gatorbreath What the hell makes you think there's going to be a new head coach? Based on recent official statements, you're quite the optimist. Pumper, some would say... Is this a real post or did something go over my head here.
I guess the better question is, did I miss something?
You think Muschamp is safe, or even has a chance at this point?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n88058 said:
So you're telling me most of the assistants he hired are crap. What I'm trying to say is at some point these assistants have had success when working for good head coaches. That isn't the case under Muschamp. Plus being great in college doesn't mean success in the NFL.

What I'm saying is that most of these assistance do not have this great track record. Some do like Summers, Lawing, and Hutzler. But to claim that all of their failings are due to Muschamp which is exactly what you are saying is crap. White was decent at Wisconsin, but his track record doesn't nesscarily make his solid at running backs coach. If he was the tight ends coach were he has sent multiple guys to the NFL in the last 5 years, then that is a fair argument. Roper doesn't have a real track record outside of running Cutcliffe's offense or being an assistant outside of under Cutcliffe. Our offensive staff selection have been mediocre at best. They fit what Muschamp wants, but that doesn't mean they are great. Quinn was a great hire, but Durkin has been awful. What our of our linebacker play or defensive backfield field play has been what has been expected from the staff we have, questionable. Muschamp has made a lot of hiring based on potential, which has for the most part failed. Failed in part due to his lack of consistency at a leader, but also because we haven't been hiring the quality of coaches we are used to here at Florida.

Just going well they are solid. Some have had success others have not, especially at the position they are coaching. But how much of their success was them or what was around them. Muschamp has shown over and over again he is bad evaluating talent, even on the coaching staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.