Who starts at QB next year?

Who is QB1 game 1 next season?

• Total voters

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I think Trask has a huge upside. No way Dan lets him walk. He's been the best Gator QB since Tebow. Imagine what an offseason he will have with the starters. The fix is pretty easy for the offense, bring in a few grad transfer/JUCO offensive linemen and give Trask the time he needs to open stuff up downfield. He could look like Burrow. We already have the skilled talent, just need to give him the blockers. Mullen has got to be all over this like white on rice.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think Trask has a huge upside. No way Dan lets him walk. He's been the best Gator QB since Tebow. Imagine what an offseason he will have with the starters. The fix is pretty easy for the offense, bring in a few grad transfer/JUCO offensive linemen and give Trask the time he needs to open stuff up downfield. He could look like Burrow. We already have the skilled talent, just need to give him the blockers. Mullen has got to be all over this like white on rice.
:bwahaha:

You need to do your homework on Dan Mullen.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Serious response: you think he has enough starts to get drafted? I think he needs another season to get a serious look but I’m also not convinced that Mullen is adaptable enough to change his scheme to fit a guy like Trask.

Huh? He DID change the scheme. He upped the number of passing plays from 40-52%. That still left plenty of opportunity for the running game to shine.

You can argue that what he lost was the ability to catch the defense flat-footed by throwing the ball. You can also argue the point is moot. The passing game consistently bailed the running game.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Huh? He DID change the scheme. He upped the number of passing plays from 40-52%. That left plenty of opportunity for the running game to shine.

You can argue that what he lost was the ability to catch the defense flat footed by throwing the ball. You can also argue the point is moot. The passing game consistently nailed the running game.
I’m speaking to the RPOs, etc. that Trask is asked to run but he’s not suited for. Seems like we run best when Trask is under center but we rarely do it. We rarely run sweeps but they’ve been pretty successful. We would have to change up our blocking schemes too. Maybe @ltraz or one of our more knowledgeable posters could do a break down of some of the changes that would need to occur to give Trask the best opportunity to sling it WITH a complementary running game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's not changing his entire offensive philosophy for Trask. It won't happen. If Trask has NFL aspirations, he'd be smart to leave UF.

No question Mullen is a run-first thinker. Regardless, he’s not going to just turn the ball over to Jones without seeing noticeable improvement. Trask made very few mistakes. I’m not at all convinced Jones is at that point.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
No question Mullen is a run-first thinker. Regardless, he’s not going to just turn the ball over to Jones without seeing noticeable improvement. Trask made very few mistakes. I’m not at all convinced Jones is at that point.
Exactly. Mullen has been pretty loyal to success. Hell, he tweaked the O so Chris Leak won a natty.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No, but he could be with an entire offseason as the starter.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m speaking to the RPOs, etc. that Trask is asked to run but he’s not suited for. Seems like we run best when Trask is under center but we rarely do it. We rarely run sweeps but they’ve been pretty successful. We would have to change up our blocking schemes too. Maybe @ltraz or one of our more knowledgeable posters could do a break down of some of the changes that would need to occur to give Trask the best opportunity to sling it WITH a complementary running game.

Moot thinking unless Trask is able to run between the tackles. He can’t.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Good Lord I hope you get the help you need.
Sorry if the history books offend you.

I don't need any help BTW. I just want the Gators to win. We have a (relatively) young QB that makes good reads and gets the ball there on time.

Mullen has a lot of work to do this offseason. He's got to cut Franks off and keep Trask and EJ. Anything can happen but as we've seen, you need to go into the season with 2-3 capable QBs to get to the promised land. If he can pull it off it will be impressive.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
He was forced mid-season to tweak some things due to circumstances. He won't do it leading up to a fresh season. He wants a running QB, period.

Wouldn't totally shock me if Mullen sets up some kind of Nancy Kerrigan-esque assault on Trask's knee so he can justify not playing him.
Wow, the owner of the biggest Gators sports board is calling for the starting QB to be assaulted? Cmon man. Delete these posts and go restore something. I'm shocked to see something like this from you.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I will say this about Jones. He showed improvement throughout the season. He can throw a pretty deep ball and he’s shifty running the ball in traffic.

But against LSU and Georgia he looked overwhelmed at times. That concerns me.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Moot thinking unless Trask is able to run between the tackles. He can’t.
You’re all over the place. You say he’s changed the offense then acknowledge that he still makes Trask run up the gut. All he’s done is stop calling as many running plays - that’s not changing the offense, just the execution. My point is that he would have to change the offense to the point where Trask doesn’t need to threaten the defense with his legs at all. Because he has a bunch of offensive assistants that have primarily worked only in his system, I don’t even think he has people on staff who could make a different system work.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, the owner of the biggest Gators sports board is calling for the starting QB to be assaulted? Cmon man. Delete these posts and go restore something. I'm shocked to see something like this from you.
I called for Trask to be assaulted? You should work on your reading comprehension.

Trask is my favorite player on the team. I want to see him have a shot at the next level. Being jerked around next year won't help him get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator