Who's the 2nd best coach in the SEC?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here we go....

:popcorn:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/debate-rages-coach-second-best-sec/

The debate rages on: Which coach is the second best in the SEC?

Tuesday’s news of Nick Saban receiving an extension and a signing bonus from Alabama has encouraged the ongoing debate regarding the SEC’s second best head coach. Without a clear-cut answer at hand, opinions vary between the likes of Jim McElwain, Dan Mullen, Hugh Freeze, Gus Malzahn, Kevin Sumlin, Bret Bielema and Butch Jones.

While the answer is difficult, making a case for some of the coaches is easy.

Since 2014, Freeze is the only SEC coach to defeat mighty Alabama — and he’s accomplished that feat twice. McElwain is the first coach to win two division titles in his first two years at an SEC school. Mullen has turned Mississippi State into a nationally relevant program, leading the Bulldogs to the No. 1 ranking in the debut of the College Football Playoff rankings. Aside from Saban, Malzahn is the only other league coach to win an SEC title and he took Auburn within seconds of winning the last BCS National Championship.

Wednesday morning, the topic was brought up by two popular morning radio shows from around SEC territory, both of which are hosted by former SEC players: Cole Cubelic and Jayson Swain.

Who is the 2nd best head coach in the SEC?#ColeQuestionOfTheDay

— #CubeShow (@CubeShow) May 3, 2017

Who’s the second best coach in the SEC?

— Jayson Swain (@SwainEvent) May 3, 2017

While appearing on Cubelic’s show, Barrett Sallee, host of the SEC: Smothered and Covered podcast, threw out both McElwain and Mullen.

“McElwain…..maybe Dan Mullen”

@BarrettSallee on who is the 2nd best coach in the SEC with @CubeShow

— Cole Cubelic (@colecubelic) May 3, 2017

Marcus Spears from the SEC Network later came on and also chose Mullen.

“If I had to choose an SEC head coach after Saban…It would be Dan Mullen”

@mspear96 on @CubeShow

— Cole Cubelic (@colecubelic) May 3, 2017

Chris Vannini of CoachingSearch.com fame went with Bielema.

I think I’d take Bielema, but Mullen has a strong case. https://t.co/r53LWtRThz

— Chris Vannini (@ChrisVannini) May 3, 2017

With no clear-cut answer to the question, the debate will most assuredly rage on well into the offseason. In your opinion, which SEC coach falls in line behind Nick Saban as the conference’s second best coach?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They're all interchangeable. Snow White and the 13 dwarfs.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
All the best coaches in the nation except for a few were SEC West coaches according to the talking heads in 2014. Not sure who to take here. So many ups and downs. At one time I thought Sumlin might have been but he has struggled a lot lately especially on defense. Malzahn has struggled lately also. Not a big fan of Mullen and his SEC record is pretty damn crappy. He is only 29-35 in SEC play with only one winning SEC season out of 8 years there. That alone should disqualify him. Heck other coaches at Miss State had more winning seasons in the SEC than that I think.

Edit: I think Mullen has only beaten one final top 25 ranked team excluding the 2014 season out of those 8 years alo. Losing to all final ranked teams in 6 of 8 years is not good even at Miss State.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All the best coaches in the nation except for a few were SEC West coaches according to the talking heads in 2014. Not sure who to take here. So many ups and downs. At one time I thought Sumlin might have been but he has struggled a lot lately especially on defense. Malzahn has struggled lately also. Not a big fan of Mullen and his SEC record is pretty damn crappy. He is only 29-35 in SEC play with only one winning SEC season out of 8 years there. That alone should disqualify him. Heck other coaches at Miss State had more winning seasons in the SEC than that I think.

Edit: I think Mullen has only beaten one final top 25 ranked team excluding the 2014 season out of those 8 years alo. Losing to all final ranked teams in 6 of 8 years is not good even at Miss State.

Coach (#SEC winning seasons): Croom (0), Sherrill (4), Bellard (2), Tyler (2),

Mullen has the 11th best Conference winning percentage all time, and 9th best winning percentage over all as Mississippi State Head Coach.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Coach (#SEC winning seasons): Croom (0), Sherrill (4), Bellard (2), Tyler (2),

Mullen has the 11th best Conference winning percentage all time, and 9th best winning percentage over all as Mississippi State Head Coach.

Yep I don't get the Mullen love myself. They only did good in 2014.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
According to Dubs, it's Will Muschamp :grin:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They're all interchangeable. Snow White and the 13 dwarfs.

This is the correct answer and the reasons are obvious.

No ambitious, hot shot coach is going to take a job in SEC because it is an exercise in futility due to the reign of Saban. The latest case in point is LSU. Like them or not, this is a top ten program but they had to settle for the downs coach even when several high profile coaches were out there.

The guy is clearly the best coach in game but there is more to it.
He coaches a very storied program with loads of tradition, both real (10 titles) and imagined (the other 6 titles the idiots claim).
He coaches at a program with unlimited resources and fan support
He coaches at a program that has perfected the art of cheating via the original football mafia
He coaches at a program that is clearly immune to all NCAA rules to include drug testing and law enforcement issues
He coaches at a program that apparently puts the fear of God into the NCAA which is the only way I can explain most of what i listed above.

I think I would run to the A-She-She or the not so big twelve or eleven. Wouldn't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.