Why Hire Jim McElwain When You Could Hire Lane Kiffin?

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Why hire Jim McElwain when you could hire Lane Kiffin? McElwain was the Alabama offensive coordinator when they ran the conservative run first offense that Muschamp wanted to bring to Florida. Lane Kiffin as the offensive coordinator of Alabama opened up the offense. Does anyone think Alabama would have set the offensive records they did this year in total offense if Lane Kiffin was not on the sideline calling plays?

McElwain has been the head coach at Colorado State in some second tier conference, but Kiffin has been the head coach at a major SEC school. Think back to when Kiffin was at Tennessee. He had Tennessee on the upswing. When Kiffin bolted in the middle of the night for the bright lights of Southern California, UT students marched in protest because they were upset the were losing a really good coach. Would they raise such a ruckus today if Butch Jones said he was leaving?

When Kiffin was hired by Tennessee we had just gone through the Phil Fulmer-Steve Spurrier era. Tennessee was looking for someone to counter Urban Meyer. They tried to find their own version of Steve Spurrier. Now, before you go off, I am not comparing Lane Kiffin to Steve Spurrier. I am saying that Tennessee felt that Phil Fulmer was too old, too fat, too conservative to lead Tennessee in a new era of modern football.

Kiffin was brash. He could get under your skin. He could recruit. He even wore a visor. He took down General Neyland’s Maxims which Tennessee players had recited before each game. That did not set well with a lot of the historical Tennessee faithful, but the Maxims are the Bible of coaches like Bob Woodruff, Doug Dickey, and Will Muschamp.

Kiffin has SEC ties besides his time at Tennessee. His brother is an assistant at Ole Miss. His wife is the daughter of former Florida great John Reaves. He has a year under his belt as Nick Saban’s offensive coordinator. Saban knows a thing or two about coaches. He brought Kiffin to Tuscaloosa when a lot of other people thought Saban was showing the early signs of dementia. Look who was right.

Kiffin is not a small town Mississippi boy like Hugh Freeze who I have the greatest respect for by the way. Freeze is not leaving Ole Miss. Kiffin would be comfortable in modern, urban cosmopolitan Florida. Kiffin, like Spurrier, has an edge to him. He can push the envelope. He is available and would be grateful if Foley hired him. I think he learned a lot about the way he left Knoxville. I don’t know all the reasons why things did not work out for him at USC because I don’t follow West Coast football.

I think the best coach for UF is available for the asking and is sitting right there not that far away in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Hire him before Nebraska does.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't want him here. He's such a sleaze.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Kiffin has been a better coordinator for bama than Mclwain. Probably would be a better recruiter here aswell

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know why but I get really REALLY excited over Kiffen's offense.

But then I tell myself that he has not been a successful head coach at all three stops he's made. 0/3. No thanks.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
GatorJ;n121192 said:
I just don't want him here. He's such a sleaze.

I understand your feelings, and I felt the same way when the guy was at Tennessee. But I will tell you that when someone is on the opposite sideline they look different than when they are on your sideline. For us, Spurrier is great, but for fans of other SEC schools, Spurrier was a jerk. Your perspective changes from where you are standing. Another example is Urban Meyer. We loved him when he won championships. He was a doucebag when he crawled under his wife bed and fell in love with Brutus Buckeye.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n121194 said:
Kiffin has been a better coordinator for bama than Mclwain. Probably would be a better recruiter here aswell
Clearly true and clearly true.

He's also a flaming bag of horse dung who has failed miserably at every job and is such an sleazy scumbag that I'd burn the words "University of Florida" off my degree if we hired him.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly wouldn't even be mad if we hired him. I'd feel exceedingly retarded, but not mad.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Past history clearly indicates that Kiffin is a successful assistant coach and an exceedingly poor head coach. I would not be willing to shout "this time it will be different".

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He's not even on the friggin' list, so why waste time with this nonsense? Maybe we should waste more time discussing whether or not Bill Belichick would be a good candidate.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n121200 said:
Clearly true and clearly true.

He's also a flaming bag of horse dung who has failed miserably at every job and is such an sleazy scumbag that I'd burn the words "University of Florida" off my degree if we hired him.

Then what are you going to do to your degree if we hire mclwain?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, let's hire the guy that just got fired from USC and left in the parking lot at 3:00am. Or, we could hire the guy that got fired by the lowly Raiders. Wait...it's the same guy. Yeah, that's what we need to do. :facepalm:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think the language software needs to be set up to cancel out and not allow anyone to type K****ns name. I dont even want him on our apposing sideline...

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
oxrageous;n121208 said:
He's not even on the friggin' list, so why waste time with this nonsense? Maybe we should waste more time discussing whether or not Bill Belichick would be a good candidate.

As if this was ever the first bit of nonsense ever posted on this board. Just trying to drum up some business for your board Ox so don't complain.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n121208 said:

You're the one who was lobbying for him

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator