Why we won

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I use Heinz white vinegar, but a secret is if you can get Heinz white vinegar from Canada. I don’t know why it is so much better, it just is, especially on french fries and poutine
Very interesting. I suppose it has to do with the grain they use. I'm going to look this up.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
It probably deserves it's on thread, but I make a chicken chili with northern beans, usually around the holidays. I call it White Christmas chili.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You know what says “fall” to me? Chili!

I have a recipe I’ve used for decades - and the key is beef, pork, and a little bacon! All fresh ingredients, especially the chili powder and cumin. I sauté the garlic, onion, and peppers in a little bacon fat, then simmer all ingredients for at least 2 hrs. I can get you the full recipe if you’d like.

What fall recipes do others like?
Hey, when you’re browning the meats, do you do them all together? Do they brown evenly together? If yes, do you do it on 6 or 7 heat wise on a scale off 1-10?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Hey, when you’re browning the meats, do you do them all together? Do they brown evenly together? If yes, do you do it on 6 or 7 heat wise on a scale off 1-10?

I do it all in a big pot...first cook the bacon (I chop it first) med-hi, drain excess fat (if you want), then sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, add a whole chopped onion and green pepper, sauté together until onion just starts to get transparent. I move it to one side of the pot, and drop the meat on the other to brown it, then after getting a quick seer, mix it all together, add chili powder, cumin, salt, tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and 1/2 a beer. Bring to slow boil then simmer for 2 hrs (stirring occasionally).

Med-high the entire time until simmer on low.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The only good Steven Seagal movies were the ones where you could say, “Steven Seagal is...” in front of the title

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I do it all in a big pot...first cook the bacon (I chop it first) med-hi, drain excess fat (if you want), then sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, add a whole chopped onion and green pepper, sauté together until onion just starts to get transparent. I move it to one side of the pot, and drop the meet on the other to brown it, then after getting a quick seer, mix it all together, add chili powder, cumin, salt, tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and 1/2 a beer. Bring to slow boil then simmer for 2 hrs (stirring occasionally).

Thanks!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I do it all in a big pot...first cook the bacon (I chop it first) med-hi, drain excess fat (if you want), then sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, add a whole chopped onion and green pepper, sauté together until onion just starts to get transparent. I move it to one side of the pot, and drop the meet on the other to brown it, then after getting a quick seer, mix it all together, add chili powder, cumin, salt, tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and 1/2 a beer. Bring to slow boil then simmer for 2 hrs (stirring occasionally).

FYI - you spelled “meat” wrong, you might want to correct it. Please let me know if you do, it’ll bother me until I know!

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
FYI - you spelled “meat” wrong, you might want to correct it. Please let me know if you do, it’ll bother me until I know!

Hahahahaha, I’ll be damned, I sure did! That’s not like me, I’m usually very conscientious about my spelling. I’ll fix it immediately to avoid further embarrassment!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
It probably deserves it's on thread, but I make a chicken chili with northern beans, usually around the holidays. I call it White Christmas chili.
Intersting history lesson about Great Northern Beans.

There was a man by the name of Oscar Will who in the later 1800s traded seeds with Native Americans and specifically the communities in the Dakotas (@BNAG8R). He received some white beans from a member of the Hidatsa tribe and experimented with it for 10 years and released it in 1896. It's called Great Northern because Oscar selected it for the shorter northern growing seasons.

So when you are eating your chili with Northern Beans you can announce that you are eating a bean variety that is over 100 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator