Will Grier suspended rest of season for taking PEDs

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
T REX;n296684 said:
I do feel if Treon Harris plays well then Grier is our back up for the next 2 years. No doubt in my mind.
I don't get this. In almost everyone's opinion Grier seemed to be better than anything Harris had put on the field last year or in the ECU game this year. I do suspect that Harris will improve some getting more reps, but WG will also be practicing with the team during suspension. I guess only time will tell for sure but the feeling I get is that WG has a higher ceiling than Harris....

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n296714 said:
I don't get this. In almost everyone's opinion Grier seemed to be better than anything Harris had put on the field last year or in the ECU game this year. I do suspect that Harris will improve some getting more reps, but WG will also be practicing with the team during suspension. I guess only time will tell for sure but the feeling I get is that WG has a higher ceiling than Harris....

I'm just glad Treon gets two weeks to prepare for UGA. That game is far more important than the LSU game.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We didn't want Grier as our QB anyways. All kidding aside, stupid bad mistake but we are going to be ok. We can still win 9 games which most of us did not expect at the beginning of the year. Harris is a good QB and our defense is still killer so we can still win the SEC East. Go Gators!!

beaniemonk

Cubicle Gangster
Nov 24, 2014
T REX;n296684 said:
I do feel if Treon Harris plays well then Grier is our back up for the next 2 years. No doubt in my mind.

Not saying this is true... Not saying all parties would be OK with this... Just saying...

I read somewhere that Grier can opt to sit out all of 2016 and keep his 3 remaining years of eligibility. (EDIT: 3 years to play 2 seasons according to source).

So hypothetically if Treon were to take over and keep the job, he'd be the starter for the rest of 2015, all of 2016, and all of 2017.

Then in 2018 Grier would be a redshirt Junior.

Again, grain of salt...

EDIT: Found the source:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...rs-quarterback

Grier could also choose to sit all of next year. He still has three more years to play two seasons, but if he plays even six games next season, that counts as a full year. Sitting out would give him more potential total games in his college career.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
beaniemonk;n296753 said:
Not saying this is true... Not saying all parties would be OK with this... Just saying...

I read somewhere that Grier can opt to sit out all of 2016 and keep his 3 remaining years of eligibility.

So hypothetically if Treon were to take over and keep the job, he'd be the starter for the rest of 2015, all of 2016, and all of 2017.

Again, grain of salt...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...eligiblity-vacated-florida-gators-quarterback

That's not true since Grier already redshirted and won't be able to get another unless he misses a year to injury. He will be a redshirt Junior in 2017.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
By 2018, I would like to think a QB Coach errh Head Coach would have recruited and possibly started another all world... just saying

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
beaniemonk;n296753 said:

I read somewhere that Grier can opt to sit out all of 2016 and keep his 3 remaining years of eligibility. (EDIT: 3 years to play 2 seasons according to source).

Again, grain of salt...

Grier is good enough to play pro ball. He might need 6 games plus one more season, but then he is going to the NFL. I see no reason for him to sit out 6 games unless he isn't going to play.

That said.. If Harris is 6-0 next year and playing well.. I don't think Grier comes in and takes the spot away.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure why this still surprises me, but we've got some of the dumbest SOBs I've ever encountered that post here.,:lol:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
threatmatrix;n296345 said:
F$U would have lawyered up, denied, blamed it on lymes disease and Grier would miss one game max while they delayed an NCAA decision until Grier graduated. I wish we would defend our players to the full extent of the law. Seems like we just throw our hands up and say "Aw shucks, you got us".

Yes. Let us fashion our program after that bastion of morality which exists above reproach up there in Tallacrappy. That's what we want to do.

:beating:

Perhaps you should just support the team whose culture matches your own.

56339517.jpg

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
beaniemonk;n296753 said:

Again, grain of salt...

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n296663 said:
Why waste time even worrying about something like this? What's done is done, we can't control what the perception to the rest of the country is. Frankly I don't care. Let them frown their asses off while we keep winning.

I seriously doubt Grier was taking this supplement to get some kind of competitive edge over people on the field - I'm sure he was taking it because he couldn't gain weight.

Don't the trainers have 'legal' supplements for the players?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
beaniemonk;n296753 said:

Again, grain of salt...

SB Nation is an awful source and has been woefully wrong about all this eligibility stuff.

Will Grier will return as a redshirt sophomore next year. He cannot just sit the year out and keep another year of eligibility. The rule specifically prohibits using a redshirt to cover for your suspension. And even if he wanted to, he already used his redshirt last year. He will be a redshirt junior in 2017, and a redshirt senior in 2018 if he stays the full five years.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
URGatorBait;296650 said:
Haven't seen anything one when those were taken, where did you hear that?

Google 'Will Grier two weeks ago' . It's an Orlando Sentinel
article.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
jmskjrgator;n296863 said:
Google 'Will Grier two weeks ago' . It's an Orlando Sentinel
article.

Here it is on the link below. Edgar Thompson is usually pretty realistic in his articles, so i have no reason to think that information, to the best of his knowledge, is incorrect, though I'd like the school to confirm it preferably. Seems odd that if they know he failed the test 2 weeks ago, even if the 2nd test was weeks later, that they wouldn't want to go after at least the last two weeks of wins. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the NCAA is giving UF a pass and putting it all on Grier's shoulders.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...s-qb-will-grier-suspended-20151012-story.html

beaniemonk

Cubicle Gangster
Nov 24, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n296822 said:
SB Nation is an awful source and has been woefully wrong about all this eligibility stuff. Will Grier will return as a redshirt sophomore next year. He cannot just sit the year out and keep another year of eligibility. The rule specifically prohibits using a redshirt to cover for your suspension. And even if he wanted to, he already used his redshirt last year. He will be a redshirt junior in 2017, and a redshirt senior in 2018 if he stays the full five years.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Everybody's been wrong, and hell if I could find anything after an hour of searching...

GatorInKnox;n296813 said:
NO NO NO NO NO!!!

LMAO... OK OK OK OK OK!!!

Take a deep breath man. Having a kid ain't no picnic...

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n296887 said:
Here it is on the link below. Edgar Thompson is usually pretty realistic in his articles, so i have no reason to think that information, to the best of his knowledge, is incorrect, though I'd like the school to confirm it preferably. Seems odd that if they know he failed the test 2 weeks ago, even if the 2nd test was weeks later, that they wouldn't want to go after at least the last two weeks of wins. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the NCAA is giving UF a pass and putting it all on Grier's shoulders.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...s-qb-will-grier-suspended-20151012-story.html

If he failed the first drug test, he has to report to a NCAA testing facility for a second test. The second those results come in, he is suspended. There is no way there was a coverup or a delay on UF's part being the NCAA controls and puts timelines on this process.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Mr2Bits;n296949 said:
If he failed the first drug test, he has to report to a NCAA testing facility for a second test. The second those results come in, he is suspended. There is no way there was a coverup or a delay on UF's part being the NCAA controls and puts timelines on this process.

if the tests are two weeks apart, then the coaches have had two weeks where they knew losing him was possible as long as those test results were released to the team. if that is so, they've got to have been getting treon more reps in anticipation of grier's looming absence. oh well.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mr2Bits;n296949 said:
Oh I don't think there is a cover up. Now that you mention it, I guess I wonder if the first one was UAA administered and the second by the NCAA, I have no idea, but I suppose that could explain why no games are at risk. I guess that conflicts with what coach mac said about not knowing until Sunday. Hard to believe the school would know he failed a test 2 weeks prior and coach Mac wouldn't. I guess I'm wondering Edgar Thompson is indeed correct in his article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.