Will Grier transferring, free to go to ANY school

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@ThomasGoldkamp: You have to go all the way back to 2007 to find last #Gators recruiting class that had a QB who finished his career as a UF QB (Brantley).

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
Grier was an "above average" QB...just a refreshing change from Muschamp's disabled offense. Elite QB by no means. He battled hard and that was refreshing. But no shortage of stupid with whatever he took, come on.

listening to his interviews, he sounded like he was barely able to communicate whatever it was he was saying. I don't know whether it was IQ, drugs, intraverted, feeling guitly about something or something else. He just sounded less than sharp. His decision making off the field proved that to be true.

Before another school takes him I would think he would have to pass a drug test or two.

He going to "Exteeeenze" his career elsewhere. I'm excited about Franks / Del Rio battle and Treon pushing for relevance.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can we find out which PED it was now? I'm just curious what substance essentially ****ed us over.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am truly disappointed.

I had really hoped he'd take his punishment like a man, and show some loyalty to the team and the University. This decision seems to indict his meddling Dance-Mom father, too, as a galactically egocentric jerk. The easy way is usually never the right way, particularly after a totally stupid mistake.

Instead of being a me-first little b****, Grier should have stayed and worked his butt off to be the best QB on the team, and while he was on probation, dedicated himself to learning how to be a real leader. Shame on the Griers, all of them. Their decision is the coward's way out.

It would have been nice for Grier to have come to this decision prior to the Eason decision.
Well said, Blondie. Your first sentence sums up my feelings. I think, unfortunately, that we'll start seeing more and more of this type situation with where we are with transitioning from HS to college and possibly to the pro ranks, given that there is a growing population of agent-parents out there who prioritize team and any loyalty thereto much lower than the ambition of scholarships and a payday. I guess it is the way of the world nowadays and I'm long of tooth (and think and believe as such), but I think that not only is it a selfish and sh!tty way to do business, but it will ultimately hurt football (and other sports) as well as the individuals, not to mention the team transferred from.

To further state my opinion on such mercenary behavior (I avoided a comparison to wh0res), much of the responsibility for it falls on the parents and their unbridled desires to aggressively manage their children's careers. I used to laugh when I would see these parents getting their beginning in the pee wee leagues. Then I realized that the ones who didn't ultimately turn their kids off to particular sports only grew in intensity and selfishness, becoming a coach's worst nightmare. I understand the passion they have for their children, having had c2 Jr. go through the pee wees to MS and HS and finally into college. I wanted him to excel, but more importantly to learn teamwork, reliability, and leadership. Having coached for a few years prior, I knew that I couldn't become his agent and do him good service. Hell, I didn't know how good he would be at an early age I and I knew that would be answered by him based on his desires, likes, and willingness to work. He eventually became a QB and started for his HS (a very small 2A HS) his last two years. He was decent, had a good arm, could process things pretty quickly, and learned to read route progressions. But he didn't grow a whole lot and was small (5'9" 165 lbs) and had no suitors from the small college ranks. I hoped he might get a chance to play on but I didn't die when he didn't and realized that even though football was over for him, he learned a lot of things that will help him to succeed as an adult. He didn't die either, though he was disappointed. What he did do was find a place to play baseball at a small college and is happy with that opportunity. Thank God I had enough sense and a wife that helped keep me grounded not to push too hard. I'm far from a model, but I certainly wish that Will Grier and most likely his dad had a little better perspective. I wish him well but the good he did while at UF will forever be tainted by what will be viewed by many as a lack of personal responsibility for his mistake(s) and little loyalty beyond what he could get out of his time on the team.

I agree with Lboy, but as Benji said later in the thread, it might not have made any difference. Still, with an EE in play, it would have been nice for this decision to have come a little earlier, for arguments sake if nothing else. Here's hoping that whoever we wind up with in the QB group, they are able to perform and lead at a higher level than what we got the latter part of the season. Will Grier, I hope that what will be is better for you wherever you land than what was as a Gator, and make no mistake, you were off to a great start. I personally do not think you made a good decision, but it was yours to make.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
So does Chad have "WILLY FREED!" Tshirts available yet?

Last edited:

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Very disappointing how things worked out for him. Would have a been a good one for us

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Cover. Have you given your opinion on the Muschamp-usc situation? Should we worry that he and Roper might pose a threat, or is he just too dumb to learn?

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Some of you owe the rest of us an apology for flaming anyone who said this was a possibility. Exactly why is any of this shocking to anybody? This is a guy who is on his own team. I'm glad he's gone so we can move on.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
He probably overheard the coaches talking. "That kid will never start another game at QB for Florida." Unfortunately, they were talking about Treon, but Grier jumped to conclusions.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover. Have you given your opinion on the Muschamp-usc situation? Should we worry that he and Roper might pose a threat, or is he just too dumb to learn?
Unless he's learned a helluva lot at light speed these last few days, I don't see him ever doing as good or better than SOS. I think USCe, because of their history and tradition as much as anything, were down to about their 4th option and had to settle. Muschamp can probably build a competitive D but what can be accomplished there offensively remains to be seen. He'll have to be able to recruit outside of SC, I think, in order to give him the opportunity to do anything to make them relevant. Again, if this is to happen, he has to be able to do something as a HC that he couldn't do at UF...get out of his own way! We'll see.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, this is very disappointing. As others have said, I really thought he was going to be a man about it, face his punishment, and work hard to earn back the starting spot. I guess kids these days just can't face embarrassment they bring onto themselves anymore. What a shame. Thought he had what it takes to be a winner. Now in my eyes, he's just a chicken **** cheater. Gator bait! Next man up!

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like there will be a couple of Avatar changes.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Well said, Blondie. Your first sentence sums up my feelings. I think, unfortunately, that we'll start seeing more and more of this type situation with where we are with transitioning from HS to college and possibly to the pro ranks, given that there is a growing population of agent-parents out there who prioritize team and any loyalty thereto much lower than the ambition of scholarships and a payday. I guess it is the way of the world nowadays and I'm long of tooth (and think and believe as such), but I think that not only is it a selfish and sh!tty way to do business, but it will ultimately hurt football (and other sports) as well as the individuals, not to mention the team transferred from.

To further state my opinion on such mercenary behavior (I avoided a comparison to wh0res), much of the responsibility for it falls on the parents and their unbridled desires to aggressively manage their children's careers. I used to laugh when I would see these parents getting their beginning in the pee wee leagues. Then I realized that the ones who didn't ultimately turn their kids off to particular sports only grew in intensity and selfishness, becoming a coach's worst nightmare. I understand the passion they have for their children, having had c2 Jr. go through the pee wees to MS and HS and finally into college. I wanted him to excel, but more importantly to learn teamwork, reliability, and leadership. Having coached for a few years prior, I knew that I couldn't become his agent and do him good service. Hell, I didn't know how good he would be at an early age I and I knew that would be answered by him based on his desires, likes, and willingness to work. He eventually became a QB and started for his HS (a very small 2A HS) his last two years. He was decent, had a good arm, could process things pretty quickly, and learned to read route progressions. But he didn't grow a whole lot and was small (5'9" 165 lbs) and had no suitors from the small college ranks. I hoped he might get a chance to play on but I didn't die when he didn't and realized that even though football was over for him, he learned a lot of things that will help him to succeed as an adult. He didn't die either, though he was disappointed. What he did do was find a place to play baseball at a small college and is happy with that opportunity. Thank God I had enough sense and a wife that helped keep me grounded not to push too hard. I'm far from a model, but I certainly wish that Will Grier and most likely his dad had a little better perspective. I wish him well but the good he did while at UF will forever be tainted by what will be viewed by many as a lack of personal responsibility for his mistake(s) and little loyalty beyond what he could get out of his time on the team.

I agree with Lboy, but as Benji said later in the thread, it might not have made any difference. Still, with an EE in play, it would have been nice for this decision to have come a little earlier, for arguments sake if nothing else. Here's hoping that whoever we wind up with in the QB group, they are able to perform and lead at a higher level than what we got the latter part of the season. Will Grier, I hope that what will be is better for you wherever you land than what was as a Gator, and make no mistake, you were off to a great start. I personally do not think you made a good decision, but it was yours to make.

Nice post, and congrats on your boy - sounds like he turned out well, and you had enough sense to teach him that there was something outside of FB when the gig ends, as it always does.

All internet speculation, but if I had to guess, Grier probably never experienced serious adversity in his life. His family is obviously all about social media. He makes his poor decision, then the world comes down around him. Many non gators call him cheater. Many Gator fans accuse him of screwing up their own personal fixation with the Gators. They also criticize the family. Make little doubt he soaks this all in, and then there is much frenzy about all the QB recruits - both on the internet, social media, and the coaches. Much conversation on the internet if Grier is done for at UF. They see McElwain flying around the country courting recruits. Grier is out of the positive limelight. So instead of fighting his way back, he bails, and given all the negative media attention (and seeming vanity) I doubt the family was pushing him to stay either.

It is too bad, because if he comes back, he's the best of the bunch, and one good game all is right with the world. But he's too young and too immature to see that. Really sucks, because he was the real deal. These guys don't come along that often (Eason may have had similar potential). Mr Football, best in the country, and clearly from the games he plays he has ALL of the tools. Just needs experience. Could have been one of the greats. But at this point, with all of the drama and immaturity, I wonder if he ever realizes his potential.

I don't like to rag on these kids, or hold grudges but I'm not quite at a place where I can wish him well. I don't begrudge him for his mistake, but now he has compounded it with this protracted decision. Make no mistake, this is a setback we don't easily overcome for a couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.