Will Miles defends Felipe Franks

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The best thing about the article? Things Franks wasn't recognizing last season, he is seeing this year. That is huge progress.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I think part of this is that for whatever reason Florida is the punching bag this year with the media. We have the same suspensions, antics, transfers as everyone, but we’re the only one it’s a problem for.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
My issue is he mixes pace adjusted with heavily pace dependent stats, which lessens their value. Take this chart:

upload_2019-9-1_16-53-21.png

The first half is some offensive efficiency, but super pace dependent. Of course more red zone trips equals more total points. You also gain that through more possessions and a faster pace (with the trade off being the other team also gets more possessions/points). The right half mixes two aspects. The first if yards per play is pace neutral efficiency. The second, there is a correlation, as this shows but he is leaving out the full statistics of how close. The data distribution is not the most defined line or he would have like made the data points a more narrow range to highlight the correlation. The reason is straightforward: run more offense get more points but give up more (think OK state this week).

But, if the Gators are going to continue to play at one of the slower paces (no indication that is ever changing - annual Robbie article aside) comparing these YPP stats to points per possession would give us a better sense of the offensive efficiency.

The third down conversion rate comparison is also a choice at a less than optimal stat. For instance, it ignores scoring on 1st or 2nd down. Success rate per offensive play inside the red zone and outside I suspect would have had a higher correlation (at least to point per possession, if not the pace weighted total points per game).

I’m not suggesting his stats in this particular article aren’t more information, and therefore helpful. They just aren’t as helpful as presented when you look more closely.

YAR is pace neutral and pretty helpful, and I don’t think it punishes non running qb’s so much since it only accounts for actual runs, not total yards (which would be more for running QBs), plus everyone gets sacked and those hurt the offense equally. The major weakness with the stat is it gives no value to the massive errors (worse than sacks) or a turnover.

TLDR- the mixing of pace neutral versus pace dependent stats makes his analysis less reliable. YAR is pretty telling but can’t give the huge negative value to turnovers.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Well:

1. I gave you the like for the wonderful Frankaphobe/Frankaphile phrasing. I may borrow that at some point.

3. I am surprised that apparently Swain was the target of Franks' first pick. I thought it was intended for the deeper open WR, but that Swain jumped up and tipped because he thought it was to him. Curiously the next play UF ran essentially the same play and Franks went to the deeper WR. If in fact the play was to Swain, then the pass was a terrible too high pass ala Franks' last year.

Totally agree on 1. That’s fantastic. Need that added to the GC vernacular ASAP.

Franks himself said 3 was the case. I liked that he was up front about it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Franks reverts to last season and at least stops with the picks. His passing is substandard as it is and that would make him a real big liability in our tougher games where the defense can't win it for us on their own.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Herbstreit defended corral's "swag" and the guy gets into heated argument with coach on sideline. Herbstreit was a huge fan of Johnny football and Baker mayfeild.....but finds FF to be immature SMH

Herbstreit has had a serious problem with UF every since that skull fcking was put on osu in 2006. And McElroy has yet to get over butters being wrongfully fired.

A lot of times I agree with much of what they say as long as it's about anything but Florida. Once anything Florida enters the conversation with either of them fck em, you know it's going to be negative.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The best part for us as fans, all these haters are lighting a fire under Franks' a$$. He is going to play like a man possessed, like he did to end last year.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The best part for us as fans, all these haters are lighting a fire under Franks' a$$. He is going to play like a man possessed, like he did to end last year.

That is my worry. He played "like a man possessed" against Miami. I hope he plays smart and within himself the rest of this year. He did not have a two pick game all last season. Let's home he reverts to that the rest of this season.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Herbie was such a prick every time we’re on espn especially the bowl game last year...he was so cocky about 06 and swore that osu was gonna beat the brakes off us...so much he stood up for UM...total douche

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Franks is who he is...if the rest of the team does what they're supposed to we'll be a better than average team that beats the teams were supposed to and struggle with the ones who are more talented(better).

As to the original post I agree that our TE's missed their assignments big time particularly on outside runs. We were not firing on all cylinders in the first game offensively or defensively for that matter but lets just see how the team executes when meeting their 2nd legitimate team....UK....we'll know a lot more at that point.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I think part of this is that for whatever reason Florida is the punching bag this year with the media. We have the same suspensions, antics, transfers as everyone, but we’re the only one it’s a problem for.

This year?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Maybe he’ll shush the game day set if they’re at one of our games this year?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
This year?

True. For years it's been hard to watch our games on ESPN, especially Kentucky, as the announcers openly cheer for the other team and go out of the way to not hide it. However this year they are piling on in a whole new way since the Matt Baker article. It's like any other news source. Find one thing and go out of your way to make it true while ignoring the fact every program is having the same issues and unlike certain media darlings like UGA, we actually kicked players out without letting them play an entire year until it was discovered. For some reason the hate we get from them makes me think they see something that many of us don't into regard for how good we might be despite,recruiting being a dumpster.

I know they really want Taggert to be good.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks seems to have a need for attention. Unfortunately he looks to employ any means he can to get it. His position, at the University of Florida no less, will bring plenty of it his way without the silliness. Solid and consistent play and leadership should be the goal. I think he'd be better served to work on managing that attention in the order of what a team leader should do. He's the face of the team in many regards. Too often he's been the ass of it.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Franks stinks and nothing will convince me otherwise

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
True. For years it's been hard to watch our games on ESPN, especially Kentucky, as the announcers openly cheer for the other team and go out of the way to not hide it. However this year they are piling on in a whole new way since the Matt Baker article. It's like any other news source. Find one thing and go out of your way to make it true while ignoring the fact every program is having the same issues and unlike certain media darlings like UGA, we actually kicked players out without letting them play an entire year until it was discovered. For some reason the hate we get from them makes me think they see something that many of us don't into regard for how good we might be despite,recruiting being a dumpster.

I know they really want Taggert to be good.

Part of that is the success we had for over 2 decades...Florida getting upset is a far bigger story than beating Kentucky for the 32nd straight year.the want the ratings and are supposed to hype up the underdog

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.