Will Miles: Kyle Trask and the Next Step

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure where we go from here. Can Stricklin be fired if he's handicapping our football program? If not, what else can be done? Fire Mullen? If part of the problem is Stricklin, what does firing Mullen accomplish? Stricklin would just handicap the next guy too.:dunno:

The problem is they first have to see it as a problem, and I don't think they do. The Football program is making crazy money and Mullen runs a clean ship. I think the problem lies on both, Mullen isn't an elite CEO and Stricklin isn't type of AD that is going to put in the type of resources for us to be truly elite until made to do otherwise.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the coaching staff did pretty well last year. How many of us would have predicted 11-2 with Kyle under center?The fact the team went 11-2 with the wrong peg creates a dilemma for blindly committed dumpers. Someone deserves credit. Either the stubborn dumbass Dan Mullen pulled off quite the coaching feat to go that far with a 2-star statue QB by making just enough play calling adjustments, or credit goes to the much-despised pig Todd Grantham for his defense keeping the team competitive absent a fully functioning offense.

For comparison, Butterteeths staff would have lost to Miami, Kentucky, Auburn, LSU, SC, UGA at a minimum and limped into a lackluster bowl- probably losing that finishing 6-7. Musdump doesn’t even make a bowl. Zook probably hits 7 or 8 wins. Meyer 11-2, SOS 12-1 (takes UGA, of course!)

Dan doesn’t have Steve’s passing game genius (and ability to totally mindphuck UGA), and Mullen can’t recruit like Urban - but comparing him to Butters or Muschamp is wrong.

You also have to value the quality of opponent. Miami had no offense, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, FSU and Tennessee were bad teams worse than their previous years version. LSU was obviously much better than the previous years version. Missouri and UGA were roughly the same. Do I think he is like the last two, no. He is a guy that does well against lesser talented teams. 2018 coaching job might have honestly been more impressive than 2019. Because of quality of the opponents.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Burrow was both laser accurate, and athletic enough to extend plays..
And looked like garbage and was third stringer running read option at Crackumbus.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure where we go from here. Can Stricklin be fired if he's handicapping our football program? If not, what else can be done? Fire Mullen? If part of the problem is Stricklin, what does firing Mullen accomplish? Stricklin would just handicap the next guy too.:dunno:
Firing Mullinz does nothing. I dont know anyone who has said Fire Mullinz. Not me.

Ive said his azz will be nuclear after the third loss to Ugly. Maybe he can saynwe just lost by one score and it is a moral victory again.

But what does firing him do? Not much.

By now we are well known as one of the cheapest programs in the country that severely handicaps its coaches. We just arent attractive. We will continue getting, at best, Mushchumps/McElstains/Mullinz.

We have to change the broken program first. Build a roster, a huge competitive staff and update our facilities from circa 1982.

Stricklin is never going to be that guy. He is a bean counting bureaucrat.

As sad as it is, the guy we hired from Barn may be our only hope. I doubt anything changes. By the time we build somethingnthat is a bit like cheapass version of Bama's facilities from 2008, they Clemson and Ugly will be finished with their 300 million planned upgrades.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is all I said, yet you and donk felt the need to denigrate it as if I was pining for the return of Eric Crouch. Hate Mullen's scheme all you want, but when a QB can take off running when nobody is open or they don't keep anybody home on pass plays, its a huge advantage.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is all I said, yet you and donk felt the need to denigrate it .
Oh jeez, drama queen, rub some dirt on it.

No one cares if a kid rushes for a first down scramble.

That being said, SEC secondaries are generally garbage and a mediocre P5 can complete on them fairly easily. You dont know it much because of all the SEC offenses are worse than the SEC DBs.

A running QB is cool but the offense should be :

QBs who throw first
RBs who run first and
WRs who catch first

Not:
QBs who run first, pass a little (if at all)
RBs who mostly watch the QB and
WRs who block.

Im weird like that.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What is said was Hard to overstate the importance of the qb running game in cfb. This was in context of the online article that is the subject of the thread and I had a guy like Burrow in mind when I said it, not some return to 60s style football. In fact I probably shouldn't have even limited it to cfb because the mobile qb is making a big impact on pro football as well, but with the lesser athletes on the field in college ball, a mobile dude who can turn a sack into a first down or pick up 4 yards when the end crashes down on a short yardage play is extremely effective compared to having a statue back there. To illustrate my point, is it harder or easier for the defense to defend passing situations when they have to account for the qb being able to run the ball? That's it.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh jeez, drama queen, rub some dirt on it.

No one cares if a kid rushes for a first down scramble.

That being said, SEC secondaries are generally garbage and a mediocre P5 can complete on them fairly easily. You dont know it much because of all the SEC offenses are worse than the SEC DBs.

A running QB is cool but the offense should be :

QBs who throw first
RBs who run first and
WRs who catch first

Not:
QBs who run first, pass a little (if at all)
RBs who mostly watch the QB and
WRs who block.

Im weird like that.
You're just weird like weird.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
What is said was Hard to overstate the importance of the qb running game in cfb. This was in context of the online article that is the subject of the thread and I had a guy like Burrow in mind when I said it, not some return to 60s style football. In fact I probably shouldn't have even limited it to cfb because the mobile qb is making a big impact on pro football as well, but with the lesser athletes on the field in college ball, a mobile dude who can turn a sack into a first down or pick up 4 yards when the end crashes down on a short yardage play is extremely effective compared to having a statue back there. To illustrate my point, is it harder or easier for the defense to defend passing situations when they have to account for the qb being able to run the ball? That's it.
It helps to be able to run the ball effectively, you know, with your running backs.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I guess I’m saying if Trask was a better runner we’d have a more effective offense, which is pretty obvious. What that doesn’t mean is we need to be an offense designed around QB runs. If anything my point is simply to counter any notion that the ability of a QB to be an effective runner is an unnecessary or superfluous skill.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Thinking about championships & elite talent. Just thinking out loud here, not declaring anything...

1996 - elite, even generational, talent at RB (Taylor), WR (Hilliard, Anthony), LB (Peterson & Kearse)., OL (Mitchell.) You guys can add other names. Danny of course was a great college QB.

2006 - not so much, really. Help me here, but seemed like a scrappy, focused group of very good players with some key contributions from future stars like Tebow. Nelson was elite at S, Zook’s vaunted recruiting had a lot of very good guys, but elite? Bubba?

2008 - generational talent in Tebow, Harvin, Pounceys, A-Hern, Haden, special players in Spikes, Dunlap. Much more talented than 2006.

So, if these 5* retreads like Grimes, Shorter & Lingard plus Pitts really shine, they could be elite difference makers. Much of the team feels more like 2006, so any SEC or further would be built on great team chemistry and some important breaks.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So he's saying we need an Oline. Brilliant!
Nothing's gonna improve until the Oline improves.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It helps to be able to run the ball effectively, you know, with your running backs.
They would if, you know, we didnt tell the OL to not block a DE on every single play bc, you know, option religion bc, you know, Notre Dame.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
2006 - not so much, really. Help me here, but seemed like a scrappy, focused group of very good players with some key contributions from future stars like Tebow. Nelson was elite at S, Zook’s vaunted recruiting had a lot of very good guys, but elite? Bubba? .

I think collectively the front 7 on that 2006 D was a mismatch for most teams. Pretty dam good recruiting at a unit level by the Zooker. Talent and depth.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I think collectively the front 7 on that 2006 D was a mismatch for most teams. Pretty dam good recruiting at a unit level by the Zooker. Talent and depth.

Agreed, but no superstars. Meyer made them better to a man, but you had the previously inconsistent RayMac, finally effective ex-RB Joe Cohen, chronically injured Jarvis Moss, 2* Steven Harris...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator