Will Miles: Kyle Trask and the Next Step

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How about we run any of the dozens of other schemes that doesnt involve options (or fake options) and leaving a DE unblocked every play?

When Meyer was here he made him abandon that option garbage, add a FB and run conventional offense. But that is why Meyer was a champion and Mullinz is a joke.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Obviously the latter but is that in the playbook outside of a “gadget play” status? I’m thinking in terms of stuff that is realistic based on history - not what I would want to see.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously the latter but is that in the playbook outside of a “gadget play” status? I’m thinking in terms of stuff that is realistic based on history - not what I would want to see.
The problem is a fake jet works once or twice then they just run blitz the db on that side and hit the RB in the backfield with a different dude.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What some of our supposedly football smart posters don't seem to understand is that having a qb that can run (like Burrow) isn't the same thing as having a running qb (like EJ). LSU doesn't run an option attack or plan on the qb running but you'd have to be the dumbest fker on the planet to not see how Burrow's ability to run the ball (when necessary) was a HUGE advantage for them.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
So more of the same? I thought you were of the opinion that Hev would likely adjust the OL blocking in the offseason as he would not have the chance during the season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What some of our supposedly football smart posters don't seem to understand is that having a qb that can run (like Burrow) isn't the same thing as having a running qb (like EJ). LSU doesn't run an option attack or plan on the qb running but you'd have to be the dumbest fker on the planet to not see how Burrow's ability to run the ball (when necessary) was a HUGE advantage for them.
Absolutely true. It reminds me of people saying Corral was fast therefore he could run option.

It isnt close to being the truth. Slipperiness, power, ability to avoid or take hits is all important.

Burrow can run and it does help, but there are schematic things you can do take most of the pressure off an immobile QB.

Burrow is an imteresting example too. Another square peg round hole problem at Ohio State bc he couldnt run the option, but now we have some posters calling him the best QB ever.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Burrow was both laser accurate, and athletic enough to extend plays. That's a deadly combo. Trask actually was doing a better job of moving the pocket towards the end of last year. He's no Burrow, but if he can just take advantage when the defense leaves open field in front of him for a 3-4 yard gain a few times, it'll make a difference in the pass rush and could give him another second in the pocket before he has Dlinemen in his face. We all know Jones is athletic and quick, but does he have that laser accuracy throwing the ball? None of us know because every time he comes into the game we run 95% of the time. We don't have the horses up front to play like Bama used to and allow a "serviceable" QB to manage the offense and win championships. It'll be interesting to see what, if any, changes are made this year. We just don't have 5* studs all over the field to steam roll the better teams by brute force. We'll have to finesse our way there. All this talk of "I'm coming back so we can win that championship next year" sounds great, but it's going to take some really great QB play to do it imo.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Burrow was both laser accurate, and athletic enough to extend plays. That's a deadly combo. Trask actually was doing a better job of moving the pocket towards the end of last year. He's no Burrow, but if he can just take advantage when the defense leaves open field in front of him for a 3-4 yard gain a few times, it'll make a difference in the pass rush and could give him another second in the pocket before he has Dlinemen in his face. We all know Jones is athletic and quick, but does he have that laser accuracy throwing the ball? None of us know because every time he comes into the game we run 95% of the time. We don't have the horses up front to play like Bama used to and allow a "serviceable" QB to manage the offense and win championships. It'll be interesting to see what, if any, changes are made this year. We just don't have 5* studs all over the field to steam roll the better teams by brute force. We'll have to finesse our way there. All this talk of "I'm coming back so we can win that championship next year" sounds great, but it's going to take some really great QB play to do it imo.

The worst part of these statement is it sounds just like the 80s, especially the "we can win that championship next year"... it was always next year... that is how far we have fallen since 08.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The worst part of these statement is it sounds just like the 80s, especially the "we can win that championship next year"... it was always next year... that is how far we have fallen since 08.

Looking at our roster in 2018 realistically. Just how soon did you expect we could win a championship?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't... not until recruiting improves....

That's not what I asked. Let's assume we had the greatest head coach to ever walk the sidelines and the greatest group of recruiting assistants ever amassed. How long would it take to recruit ourselves into a championship talent level and get those recruits coached up, and conditioned and ready to compete for and win a championship? Based on the roster we had at the end of the 2017 season. How long would it take the greatest staff ever? Would 2020 be a realistic expectation? I'm not claiming Mullen and his staff are the greatest staff ever. I've often voiced my concerns here about the recruiting, but even if he was, would it have been realistic to expect better results on the field than we've seen so far based on the baseline talent he inherited and had to start with? I'm just trying to understand how soon we should expect to win championships based on your realistic expectations if the dream team of coaches had recruited nothing but 5*s since taking over at the end of 2017. Would sooner than 2020 have been realistic in your opinion?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's not what I asked. Let's assume we had the greatest head coach to ever walk the sidelines and the greatest group of recruiting assistants ever amassed. How long would it take to recruit ourselves into a championship talent level and get those recruits coached up, and conditioned and ready to compete for and win a championship? Based on the roster we had at the end of the 2017 season. How long would it take the greatest staff ever? Would 2020 be a realistic expectation? I'm not claiming Mullen and his staff are the greatest staff ever. I've often voiced my concerns here about the recruiting, but even if he was, would it have been realistic to expect better results on the field than we've seen so far based on the baseline talent he inherited and had to start with? I'm just trying to understand how soon we should expect to win championships based on your realistic expectations if the dream team of coaches had recruited nothing but 5*s since taking over at the end of 2017. Would sooner than 2020 have been realistic in your opinion?

2020 SEC Championship in the best situation yes..... The 2018 roster was down for Florida standards, but still better than 80% of the teams we face on a regular basis. The problem is in 2019, we lost a 1/4 to 1/3 of our class before the season started, and we don't know what we have in the 2020 class.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Mrs. G started at UF in the early 80s and will often joke, "wait'l next year!"

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
2020 SEC Championship in the best situation yes..... The 2018 roster was down for Florida standards, but still better than 80% of the teams we face on a regular basis. The problem is in 2019, we lost a 1/4 to 1/3 of our class before the season started, and we don't know what we have in the 2020 class.

I understand that and it sucked we lost those guys. I was just trying to figure out your thinking and criticisms of "wait till next year" in this specific situation. Things have changed since the 80s. We've won championships and several of them. Then Foley hired two losers in a row and put the football program into melt down mode. We've had a pretty significant hump to climb back over to get back to competing for championships. It's just the reality we live in. In this case, I'm just not real supportive of criticisms of our players saying "wait till next year" in this instance. I'm not even sure it's realistic yet. I still think our roster is a bit shy of the talent we need to get over the hump, but if Trask of EJ one breaks out this year and proves to be an elite QB, well then I can see a path to a championship. Elite QB play changes everything so long as the rest of the roster is solid and I think we're solid at most spots now. Not elite, but solid. I definitely agree with you that we need to do better at recruiting the elite talent. Especially the elite talent in Florida. Gotta keep those guys at home and playing for the good guys.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
Mullen faces some tough choices regarding the square vs round pegs this coming season. Does he revamp the offense around Kyle’s inability to run and then suffer the consequences of having a running QB take the reigns after injury? Or does he keep his base offense that he has two talented reserve QBs specifically recruited to run but repeat the less than ideal lack of a running game with Kyle? He will be criticized either way.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
I think the coaching staff did pretty well last year. How many of us would have predicted 11-2 with Kyle under center?The fact the team went 11-2 with the wrong peg creates a dilemma for blindly committed dumpers. Someone deserves credit. Either the stubborn dumbass Dan Mullen pulled off quite the coaching feat to go that far with a 2-star statue QB by making just enough play calling adjustments, or credit goes to the much-despised pig Todd Grantham for his defense keeping the team competitive absent a fully functioning offense.

For comparison, Butterteeths staff would have lost to Miami, Kentucky, Auburn, LSU, SC, UGA at a minimum and limped into a lackluster bowl- probably losing that finishing 6-7. Musdump doesn’t even make a bowl. Zook probably hits 7 or 8 wins. Meyer 11-2, SOS 12-1 (takes UGA, of course!)

Dan doesn’t have Steve’s passing game genius (and ability to totally mindphuck UGA), and Mullen can’t recruit like Urban - but comparing him to Butters or Muschamp is wrong.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I understand that and it sucked we lost those guys. I was just trying to figure out your thinking and criticisms of "wait till next year" in this specific situation. Things have changed since the 80s. We've won championships and several of them. Then Foley hired two losers in a row and put the football program into melt down mode. We've had a pretty significant hump to climb back over to get back to competing for championships. It's just the reality we live in. In this case, I'm just not real supportive of criticisms of our players saying "wait till next year" in this instance. I'm not even sure it's realistic yet. I still think our roster is a bit shy of the talent we need to get over the hump, but if Trask of EJ one breaks out this year and proves to be an elite QB, well then I can see a path to a championship. Elite QB play changes everything so long as the rest of the roster is solid and I think we're solid at most spots now. Not elite, but solid. I definitely agree with you that we need to do better at recruiting the elite talent. Especially the elite talent in Florida. Gotta keep those guys at home and playing for the good guys.

Nav, when you are Florida. When you are a blueblood in the SEC and in the talent rich state like Florida. The fact that we are stating that, shows we don't have the situation we should be in. Now as an X's and O's guy I think Mullen is one of the top in our conference, but as a CEO he has fallen flat. He isn't bad, but he has failed to make the decisions elite guys do. Now the Administration has hamstrung him in several ways so it's not all on Mullen. But the fact we don't even think we are truly in the conversation for the SEC in year three is underachieving. Regardless of the roster he walked into because most of it is gone at this point.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nav, when you are Florida. When you are a blueblood in the SEC and in the talent rich state like Florida. The fact that we are stating that, shows we don't have the situation we should be in. Now as an X's and O's guy I think Mullen is one of the top in our conference, but as a CEO he has fallen flat. He isn't bad, but he has failed to make the decisions elite guys do. Now the Administration has hamstrung him in several ways so it's not all on Mullen. But the fact we don't even think we are truly in the conversation for the SEC in year three is underachieving. Regardless of the roster he walked into because most of it is gone at this point.

I'm not sure where we go from here. Can Stricklin be fired if he's handicapping our football program? If not, what else can be done? Fire Mullen? If part of the problem is Stricklin, what does firing Mullen accomplish? Stricklin would just handicap the next guy too.:dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.