Windows 10 production release is here...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatordiddy;n254197 said:
Ubuntu anyone? I've installed it on one of my laptops and it's actually pretty damn good.
Yes, sometimes. I agree, Ubuntu runs the net and will do word processing, spread sheets, etc no problem. Most people don't need anything more than that it wouldn't work for many business users.

It's kind of amazing in that some versions of it can run even ancient machines. I always wondered why my phone can get by so much less ram and processor than my desktop. My IT guy usually puts it as "because Windoze."

I got the idea to try Ubuntu (easiest version IMO but some swear by Mint) when an old friend, a Gator grad, who investigates computer malware and crimes at a three letter agency told me that is what he uses. I'm not a geek but I figured if that is what he uses then I should too.

My kids still keep Windoze for playing some games though. It's easy enough to install both with a dual boot "GRUB" install.

Frankly, downloading Ubuntu is as easy as upgrading to the next version of windows every three months when they try to sell you a "new" Windoze version which is really just the old version with some of the countless security flaws patched.

Now that you can download "Linux Live" to windows and create a bootable USB from it, it's simple enough that anyone can do it. I notice that later Windows machines are doing their best to keep you from booting from a USB or DVD though.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I installed it. Doesn't seem significantly different.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Ox - did you see anything about Security settings wrt data back to MS?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n254559 said:
I installed it. Doesn't seem significantly different.

Put it on my mom's PC today. Of course Edge doesn't support java so now she is having trouble playing her pogo games. :facepalm:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gatordiddy;n254569 said:
You can go into the Privacy settings and turn off that crap.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Gatordiddy;n254569 said:

Do you own a android phone? Hell, even crApple? Both of those collect as much data as those two companies. M$ is just following suit although you can disable it as Ox said.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
chferg;n255346 said:
Do you own a android phone?

I've upgraded recently to of these bad boys:
cell-phone-old-big.jpg

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Jand3k;n255222 said:

Thanks. Mostly complaints about interface upon initial release - knew that, but found a way to flip it to desktop mode full time.

My issue has been slower performance despite stronger hardware. Not loving the 8. Wait and see on the 10.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MSFT is only rivaled by RIMM for stupidity.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
So I just upgraded to 10 - told my son and he immediately :facepalm: then said I needed to turn off a bunch of stuff/settings.
He had me go to GitHub and download something called "Debloat Windows 10".
I ran the scripts (most of them) from an elevated PowerShell prompt once I had extracted them from the zip file.
Proceed with caution boys.

I guess I'm 'safe' from Microsoft - for the time being anyway.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In the words of my computer geek buddy, Windows has unprotected sex with every other computer on the internet.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Law98gator;n256661 said:
In the word's of my computer geek buddy, Windows has unprotected sex with every other computer on the internet.

:lmao:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This thread is nearly 2 months old. Does anyone has any new adventures with Windows10?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
grengadgy;n288304 said:
This thread is nearly 2 months old. Does anyone has any new adventures with Windows10?

My hard drive quit on me yesterday, so I'm back with Win7 until I get everything up to date and set up how I like it, then it's upgrade to 10 time again and I look forward to it. Going from Windows7 to Windows10 was pretty seamless. I turned off all the "let us learn more about you" options and never looked back until yesterday. Can't wait to get back to 10. It runs faster and smoother in pretty much every way.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n288346 said:
My hard drive quit on me yesterday, so I'm back with Win7 until I get everything up to date and set up how I like it, then it's upgrade to 10 time again and I look forward to it. Going from Windows7 to Windows10 was pretty seamless. I turned off all the "let us learn more about you" options and never looked back until yesterday. Can't wait to get back to 10. It runs faster and smoother in pretty much every way.

I like XP Pro, seen "8" . didn't like. Running "7" and I really don't care it either. 10 is a free upgrade and so I'm downloading it to try.

To all you turkeys, I'm not interested in the Mac OS so your comments aren't needed. ;)

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
grengadgy;n288359 said:

I like XP Pro, seen "8" . didn't like. Running "7" and I really don't care it either. 10 is a free upgrade and so I'm downloading it to try.

To all you turkeys, I'm not interested in the Mac OS so your comments aren't needed. ;)

I think you'll like the way you can keep 10 running like your favorite parts of 7, while still having a few optional features from 8 if you want them. The only real downside to 10 is that it will automatically download Windows updates whenever it feels like it, but you still have the option to set it up so it'll wait until you're ready to actually install them so it won't just up and restart your PC on you when you least expect it.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Same here. No issues with the operating system itself. Did have one issue with a remote upgrade (using TeamViewer) I did on my mom's Dell laptop. Wound up being a video driver issue that was pretty simple to manually fix. Otherwise, I have done about 10-12 upgrades without any problems and no complaints once installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator