Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
While I despise the current NBA and haven't followed it for 20 years, I absolutely love 70's, 80's, and 90's NBA and will watch anything on those years. Anyone else looking forward to this series? It's incredible how Bird and Magic happened to come along at the same time, be total opposite personalities, give everyone a taste of the rivalry in college, and then go to opposite sides of the country to battle each other for a decade - saving the league in the process.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am also anxious to see this series.
The NBA was a great league back in this era when they actually played basketball unlike the current entertainment product .
I miss the old NBA.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I was living in Houston from 76 until mid 78 and my office was adjacent to the Summitt where the Rockets played. Dr J had just signed with the 76'er and was coming to town so I got a ticket for my first game. I think it was his second game after being acquired and the Rocket's had just signed this 18 YO phenom named Moses Malone. Dr J put on a show that night slamming down 26 points and I was hooked on the athleticism of these people. You could cut a coupon from you milk box and mail it to the ticket office and get two lower bowl seats for $5. Best sports deal of my life.

During my two season in Houston I got to see Malone, Tomjanovich, Barry, Dr. J, McGinnis, Kareem, Walt Frazier, Walton and many more all time greats. Years later whil in Orlando I had access to tickets to see the Magic so I saw Bird, Magic, Shaq and the rest. Actually attended the 1992 All-star game where Magic came out of retirement to play for the fans, won the MVP and promptly re-retired.

I have not watched an NBA game since I left LA in 2006. The period of Magic and Larry was remarkable looking forward to this.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think it was his second game after being acquired and the Rocket's had just signed this 18 YO phenom named Moses Malone.
Malone was 21 when he signed with Houston. Your memory on that is a huge disappointment.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely loved those years and watching the Celtics vs. Lakers. Epic battles and championship series. Since that time period I could care less. Back then it was really good basketball. These days just seems like street ball and all about "me". I would probably watch this.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Haven't watched NBA in years. Bunch of entitled multi-multi-millionaire sh!theads! They're the perfect inmates who have stolen the keys. And don't get us started on their wokeness!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't watched NBA in years. Bunch of entitled multi-multi-millionaire sh!theads! They're the perfect inmates who have stolen the keys. And don't get us started on their wokeness!
Yeah....but are you going to watch this series or not?

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
I'll watch the series. I was living in Chicago during Michael's domain-even got some great swag from him as I worked out in the Bulls training facility. Most competive guy out there- would even challenge us to horse with him left-handed while he recovered from his broken ankle in 85.

Won't watch NBA again, unless some non-pre Madonnas like the Bucks or Cavaliers make it and remove the arrogance.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Recently read this book
GUEST_23f15c60-ab5d-4673-aee7-86190ef9c0e3
excellent.
Now reading this one cause I saw an excerpt in SI.
51JgePn07eL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

IT looks even better. I dont watch nba anymore. Too much one on one clear outs.........

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Malone was 21 when he signed with Houston. Your memory on that is a huge disappointment.

And I believe Moses began his career in the ABA, perhaps with the Virginia Squires. Can't exactly remember, now that was a league. those who were alive then I highly recommend the book "Loose Balls", by Terry Pluto. Awesome read about the ABA.

BTW Moses coined and I believe patented the phrase, "Fo Fo Fo"

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Like several others, I don't care about or watch the NBA anymore... but I did grow up watching the Real NBA and do care about it's history. I might read some of it.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Recently read this book
GUEST_23f15c60-ab5d-4673-aee7-86190ef9c0e3
excellent.
Now reading this one cause I saw an excerpt in SI.
51JgePn07eL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

IT looks even better. I dont watch nba anymore. Too much one on one clear outs.........
(Steve Shiripa? - Bobby Bacala on the Sopranos ) said he used to see Pippin all the time, while he was a bouncer in Vegas. They called him “no tippin” Pippin cause he would never tip anyone.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I hate the Lakers and pull for anyone playing them. I hate everything about that franchise. Even when the NBA was good, the Lakers could suck it.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
And I believe Moses began his career in the ABA, perhaps with the Virginia Squires. Can't exactly remember, now that was a league. those who were alive then I highly recommend the book "Loose Balls", by Terry Pluto. Awesome read about the ABA.

BTW Moses coined and I believe patented the phrase, "Fo Fo Fo"

Moses initially played for the Utah Stars in the ABA. I saw him play once with the Houston Rockets against the Celtics.

The Virginia Squires had George Gervin and Julius Erving. I was blessed to see Erving play at UMass. He defied gravity when jumping; played above the rim while everyone else seemingly wore lead sneakers. :goon:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Loved the NBA then….love it now. I watch all 82 games the Heat play every year.

Like pure basketball? Come watch the Heat. Team-oriented, serious ball movement, gritty defense. Scores inside….scores outside. Premium placed on passing and ball-handling.

Lived in SoCal during Showtime Laker era. Some of the most fun I ever had watching basketball.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
First episode was pretty good and has me pulled in. Hate when the streaming services do these weekly, but so far John C. Reilly is the start of the show.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It died when David Stern pushed the Jordan narrative and turned the NBA into a WWE marketing over competition league

I did enjoy it much more in those early-mid 90s years than beyond that. I don’t like dynasties and so going from watching the Bulls own the NBA to the Lakers doing so was boring. But I imagine the series would be pretty entertaining even as a non-Lakers fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.