With players opting out of Bowl games, is it time for an expanded playoff?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Something is always changing. Like someone else mentioned, the forward pass was introduced and changed the game instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust every play. The SEC split into the East and West and introduced the Conference Championship game. The Spread and RPO revolutionalized the game like when SOS did in 90 at UF. Someone said that change RARELY works, seems like its been working for years and years and will continue to evolve until the end of time. I am guessing that some here still write checks and don't even have a debit card.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah but...which one have you watched more recently? ;)

Well, I just watched a shoe-in, get pummeled by an opponent that no one likes, was openly mocked, and was thought to be underserving of even being into the same ring. I didn’t catch the pregame show, but I bet it was elaborate and over the top, James Brown or not.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Well, I just watched a shoe-in, get pummeled by an opponent that no one likes, was openly mocked, and was thought to be underserving of even being into the same ring. I didn’t catch the pregame show, but I bet it was elaborate and over the top, James Brown or not.

Clemson wasn’t a shoe in & nobody mocked OSU as being a dramatically lesser team than Clemson talent or skill wise. The knock on OSU was they only played 6 games & their conference had to re-write the rules just for OSU to be eligible for their conference CG. You’re misrepresenting the situation. COVID certainly threw a wrench into the equation with OSU’s season scheduling. Don’t kid yourself, if OSU would have played 9 or more conference games and run the table, they would have been the #2 seed ahead of a 1 loss Clemson. Dabo went out of his way to spotlight this shortcoming by ranking OSU #11 in the final coaches poll. Last night’s semi-final games just add more support to the #1 vs. #2 supporters and less support to the 4 team or more playoff crowd.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And if 1, 2 and 3 are undefeated AFTER your Bowls?

I recommended fewer games...11 actually...imagine that?
Using Championships and Play-Offs as Bowls
I recommended no Non-Div 1 Games...Preferably Power Conference only.
Polls? Who's polls? Coaches? Press? Computer?...Polls...We've seen them all.

Div-1 Football is the ONLY sport that does it this way...but you know best

Don't give me football ain't basketball...Pee-Wee, HS, JUCO, Division 2&3, FCS all have a Play-offs...Only FBS has this messed up system. You either have bowls or play-offs not both.
In the extremely rare case that happens then you get a new 1 and 2. Is that hard to understand? Nothing's perfect. Adding payoff games just makes it even less perfect.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
...and don't forget how things originally went off the rails, back in Aught Six when they added that infernal forward pass! :goon:

It's funny that you wrote this after the game yesterday that made fools of all you eyeball testers who would've had Bama playing Clemson for the title. :rolleyes:

bobby_egg.gif

LOL. You gotta be a top notch imbecile to try to use OSU to bolster your argument.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I look at an 8-team playoff not as a different way to do things, but as a way to change things. To make it easier for schools other than Bama and these two sumbitches I'm watching right now to be heard with an open mind by recruits. I didn't say easier to win. I said easier to be heard with an open mind by recruits.
Sooo by going to an 8 team playoff we will magically start getting 5* recruits.
ok.gif

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Yesterday's games
Now that you mention it I can't believe @rogdochar has never said anything about us being a shoe-in to beat LSU a few weeks ago, but maybe I missed it.

And speaking of James Brown...

*Shamelessly stolen from another thread.

Funny thing is, had there been an 8 team playoff in 96, Nobody on the message board would have any recollection of that TX/Neb game. It would have been irrelevant instead of iconic.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Didn't know where to put this so here will work.
Watching an entertaining Orange Bowl, and North Carolina has a freshman receiver balling, OU quarterback was a freshman as well(redshirt?) Im sure there are others, but WTF, none of ours see the field, and that practice squad we put on the field against OU is extremely troubling, considering thats the future.
You would think we'd find one by accident at least.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Clemson wasn’t a shoe in & nobody mocked OSU as being a dramatically lesser team than Clemson talent or skill wise. The knock on OSU was they only played 6 games & their conference had to re-write the rules just for OSU to be eligible for their conference CG. You’re misrepresenting the situation. COVID certainly threw a wrench into the equation with OSU’s season scheduling. Don’t kid yourself, if OSU would have played 9 or more conference games and run the table, they would have been the #2 seed ahead of a 1 loss Clemson. Dabo went out of his way to spotlight this shortcoming by ranking OSU #11 in the final coaches poll. Last night’s semi-final games just add more support to the #1 vs. #2 supporters and less support to the 4 team or more playoff crowd.

My entire post was a parody of the Creed vs Drago fight in Rocky VI, referenced above.

FYI, James Brown is dead. Has been for years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Haven’t seen it in 35 years and don’t remember the details.

Don’t change that now. It was dreadful then and has gotten worse with time. Unfortunately there are a few(even some here) that still pine for it to be played as part of the collection on AMC despite it being the hands down worst of the Rocky movies before they completely went of the tails with 5. There’s a Lamborghini and a scene with a few girls in thongs. That’s it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah and I'm sure if there had been an 8-team playoff since then, there wouldn't have been any memorable playoff games during that time. :rolleyes:

Oh, now this is interesting. It says here that, "if there had been playoffs in 2001 and 2009, Florida would have two more National Championships." Aww, man! That sucks. :(

But do we definitely win ‘96 or ‘06? Even in ‘08, I was happy facing Saban just once. The noles are just about guaranteed a title in ‘97, so the greatest game ever played in the Swamp would be completely meaningless. On and on.

And that’s the problem. Even with the current set up, Alabama was at no risk of missing their shot at a NC with weeks to spare. Let’s say we’d played a lights out defensive game in Atl and managed to win. Saban and Sark could simply adjust the next game and ruin that epic upset. They get two chances at us, while we have to be perfect against them. I’m out on that.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Yeah and I'm sure if there had been an 8-team playoff since then, there wouldn't have been any memorable playoff games during that time. :rolleyes:

Oh, now this is interesting. It says here that, "if there had been playoffs in 2001 and 2009, Florida would have two more National Championships." Aww, man! That sucks. :(
Memorable blow outs maybe. There's been 14 CFB semi finals since we went to 4 teams. Only 3 of them have been decided by 7 or fewer points. As for 01 and 09, wishful thinking at its best. That 01 Miami team was an all time best and we had our shot at Bama in 09 and got trucked.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
But do we definitely win ‘96 or ‘06? Even in ‘08, I was happy facing Saban just once. The noles are just about guaranteed a title in ‘97, so the greatest game ever played in the Swamp would be completely meaningless. On and on.

And that’s the problem. Even with the current set up, Alabama was at no risk of missing their shot at a NC with weeks to spare. Let’s say we’d played a lights out defensive game in Atl and managed to win. Saban and Sark could simply adjust the next game and ruin that epic upset. They get two chances at us, while we have to be perfect against them. I’m out on that.
Great point on 97 FSU. Every ounce of juice from that game would have been gone. Bowden might even have pulled a Mullen and played his scrubs. We would have never had "He's behind the defense!"

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Just out of curiosity what did you think of Rocky Balboa aka Rocky VI?

Funny story, I was actually on the plane with Stallone’s HGH guy in Jan 2008 on my way to Vegas to get married. I’d known him through a friend for several years but just happened to be on the plane with him. He tells me he’s being flown out by SS for the premier that weekend and invites me and my soon to be wife to the premier. I politely declined, conveniently using my marriage as the reason. In retrospect, it would’ve probably been a lot of fun one night and was a bad call by me, but I couldn’t bring myself to be a part of that monstrosity. I’ve never seen it to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator