With players opting out of Bowl games, is it time for an expanded playoff?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You're not man enough to explain yourself? lol

TRIGGER WARNING, @ThreatMatrix. I'm going to say something to you now that based on past experience is going to offend your delicate sensibilities much more than anything I could say about you, your mother, or @GatorInGeorgia's daughter, who looks a lot older than 13, by the way. So steel yourself. Are you ready?? Okay, here it is:

:sohappy:EIGHT. TEAM. PLAYOFF!!! :stars:

Now, I'm triggered. :boom:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Somebody explain the process by which everything stays the way it is, or God forbid goes back to just a #1 vs. #2 matchup, and Florida becomes one of the teams to beat every year. Go ahead. I'm all ears. For about 7-8 minutes and then I got to start getting ready for NYE.
Recruit better.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Well if it was following the same pattern as the way things transpired here, I'd be making a comment about a man's daughter in response to him making a comment to my face about my mother. Right? Sorry, but I can't really envision that scenario. No need to get too far into message board braggadocio @ThreatMatrix but I swear to you on the life of your mother, daughter and everybody else you know that nobody has ever said anything negative to my face about my mother. So, can't relate to your hypothetical. :dunno:

GGG, you’re acting like a little pansy. You didn’t reply to something I posted nor to something that @ThreatMatrix posted...you went out of your way to tag both of us in a new post you created and then you said something about our lack of intelligence in that post, just because we happen to prefer the old format of 1 vs 2 for reasons we’ve already been over. I then responded to your post, jabbed you back for your insult and then you amped it up from there with comments about me being an idiot/don’t reply to you again/etc. Basically, you started acting like a child. Look, you want to keep doing that, it’s a free country so go ahead. It’s a message board and I’m more than able to hold my own with insults, retorts, etc., but don’t play the victim card here, you came out swinging first for some reason and when you got a message board jab back from me you went off.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
What's your address. I'll send you a Bible.

125 Kimball Bridge Cove, Alpharetta, GA 30022.

Do you think you can get it shipped out tonight FedEx priority for delivery tomorrow morning? After tonight’s New Year’s Eve party, I’m going to have a lot of repenting to do.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
giphy.gif

If things stay the way they are with our coaching staff, we’re not going to be one of the teams to beat whether the title game was 1 vs 2, a 4 team playoff or an 8 team playoff so that’s a moot point.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Repenting, and maybe some repainting too. Enjoy the pizzas! They'll be expecting payment on delivery but you're in luck because the place I called does accept food stamps. It's a big order so tell your lovely daughter to invite her friends, otherwise you won't have time to finish it all before the Fulton County SWAT Team shows up due to the "hostage crisis," followed by the FCFD to put out the, "fire." :grin:

On that note...

ny-76.gif

Good thing I don’t live there. It’s just a house that I’ve porch pirated before on several occasions, so I figured it would be a good delivery spot for the Bible. I actually got all my Christmas gifts from that house...I’m digging my new PS5! :lol:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Good thing I don’t live there. It’s just a house that I’ve porch pirated before on several occasions, so I figured it would be a good delivery spot for the Bible. I actually got all my Christmas gifts from that house...I’m digging my new PS5! :lol:

Since you gave a false address I'll hold that Bible for you. When you come out here I'll give it to you...you can use it and join us at church.

And I'll let you discuss your proclivities with the congregation.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Halfway out the door and had to come back in because I thought of a better reply to this post than the bit about the old age home. Although that was funny. But I'm upgrading it.

Hold on, you're saying that...I'm your son!?! Ohhhh, SH*T! :eek2: Does that mean it was incest when I banged your daughter??

giphy.gif

Out on a high note! Goodnight everybody and good riddance to 20 fuchsing 20!

:chomp:

You actually interrupted your New Year’s Eve plans to go back inside and post this? Man, you are one pathetic loser! :lol:

upload_2020-12-31_18-47-6.gif

The old home comment was below average but this one is even worse. You actually put effort into thinking about this?
:lmao:

I love living rent free in the heads of others to the point you’d actually put your NYE plans on hold to rush back inside to post a silly retort that struck you as an upgrade. :bwahaha:

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Since you gave a false address I'll hold that Bible for you. When you come out here I'll give it to you...you can use it and join us at church.

And I'll let you discuss your proclivities with the congregation

I’m strongly considering your offer but I need to clarify one thing first. Do you & the other congregation members happen to use live rattlesnakes in your ceremonies? :backout:

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
So I have a thought, and surprisingly back to the OP. Lock in the AP Top 25 at the conclusion of the season, to include conference championship games. Send the top 4 to the playoffs. In this theory, the #5 team will finish the season #5, regardless if they win their bowl game. And so on from #6-25. That way the season matters and players can opt out. There will be no bearing on final standings after the bowl games.
The only changes in the top 25 after the bowl season will be within 1-4.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I look at an 8-team playoff not as a different way to do things, but as a way to change things. To make it easier for schools other than Bama and these two sumbitches I'm watching right now to be heard with an open mind by recruits. I didn't say easier to win. I said easier to be heard with an open mind by recruits.
Playoffs benefit the deeper teams. The teams that are three deep with talent. Teams that can keep players fresh. Teams that can afford to lose players in stupid games. Teams like Bama. You are incredibly naive if you think blue chippers are going to flock to the have-nots. Incredibly naive.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Hey how did that 1 vs 2 scenario work for ya?

We watched the Old School Bowls to pick #1 from the eye test.

And UF in the SEC was not UF in the Cotton Bowl

8 team Playoffs with Confrence Championships could...I said could...replace meaningless Bowls

When does the world watch College Basketball...and why?

And all you... I love the old days...Remember when we didn't have the Shreveport Weedeater Bowl (or 6-6 got you in a Bowl)?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Hey how did that 1 vs 2 scenario work for ya?

We watched the Old School Bowls to pick #1 from the eye test.

And UF in the SEC was not UF in the Cotton Bowl

8 team Playoffs with Confrence Championships could...I said could...replace meaningless Bowls

When does the world watch College Basketball...and why?

And all you... I love the old days...Remember when we didn't have the Shreveport Weedeater Bowl (or 6-6 got you in a Bowl)?
Football ain't basketball. Two entirely different things.
Speaking of the old days and specifically how "change" isn't always a good thing. In fact it rarely is.
We use to have 11 regular season games. Adding the 12th game wasn't a good thing.
Bowl games mattered and were a big deal. Adding bowl games wasn't a good thing.
Number one was picked by a poll. Number 2 would gripe that they didn't get a chance to prove it in the field. Now number 5 bytches. Some idiots want #9 to bytch. And after that someone will want it to be #17. Change didn't help the bytching.

The old system had one problem. All they needed to do was have 1 v 2 play after the bowls. Then every game matters. Division 1 CFB is different then all the other sports. There's an exponential fall off after 1 and 2 most every year. If you end up number 3 then too bad, soo sad. You shoulda won your games more convincingly. I have every confidence that the winner of the SEC Championship will end up 1 or 2. And that's all I care about.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
The old system had one problem. All they needed to do was have 1 v 2 play after the bowls. Then every game matters.

Until a second loss. After that, the NC would be off of the table. Bucknuts and Clemson are either going undefeated or only 1 loss almost every year. At that point the opt-outs would begin, because no games matter after that. You could start seeing opt outs before the end of September

I have every confidence that the winner of the SEC Championship will end up 1 or 2. And that's all I care about.

A one-loss SEC team isn’t getting in ahead of an undefeated Big 10, Big 12, or ACC team, unless the SEC team is Bama. That’s just the politics of the equation.

Similarly, a 2-loss SEC team isn’t getting in ahead of 1-loss teams as described above.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Football ain't basketball. Two entirely different things.
Speaking of the old days and specifically how "change" isn't always a good thing. In fact it rarely is.
We use to have 11 regular season games. Adding the 12th game wasn't a good thing.
Bowl games mattered and were a big deal. Adding bowl games wasn't a good thing.
Number one was picked by a poll.
Number 2 would gripe that they didn't get a chance to prove it in the field. Now number 5 bytches. Some idiots want #9 to bytch. And after that someone will want it to be #17. Change didn't help the bytching.

The old system had one problem. All they needed to do was have 1 v 2 play after the bowls. Then every game matters. Division 1 CFB is different then all the other sports. There's an exponential fall off after 1 and 2 most every year. If you end up number 3 then too bad, soo sad. You shoulda won your games more convincingly. I have every confidence that the winner of the SEC Championship will end up 1 or 2. And that's all I care about.

And if 1, 2 and 3 are undefeated AFTER your Bowls?

I recommended fewer games...11 actually...imagine that?
Using Championships and Play-Offs as Bowls
I recommended no Non-Div 1 Games...Preferably Power Conference only.
Polls? Who's polls? Coaches? Press? Computer?...Polls...We've seen them all.

Div-1 Football is the ONLY sport that does it this way...but you know best

Don't give me football ain't basketball...Pee-Wee, HS, JUCO, Division 2&3, FCS all have a Play-offs...Only FBS has this messed up system. You either have bowls or play-offs not both.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
...and don't forget how things originally went off the rails, back in Aught Six when they added that infernal forward pass! :goon:

It's funny that you wrote this after the game yesterday that made fools of all you eyeball testers who would've had Bama playing Clemson for the title. :rolleyes:

bobby_egg.gif

I will freely admit that last night did a lot for the playoff(and pro expansion) crowd. Still think there were only 3 legit candidates, but still, every time the outlier team makes a statement, it opens that discussion and gives credence to the idea that maybe we don’t know after all. The fact that ND was beaten like a mule 3 hours earlier gets completely forgotten in favor of what the Buckeyes, Sooners, and to a lesser extent, the Bearcats, did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator