Women’s Softball-what ails the Lady Gators this year?

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Don’t know about the coach not calling for it. Rocha had her for 3 years and no change up either. I’ve got a feeling there may have been some friction between the Barnhill’s and Rocha, which led to her leaving to go to Oklahoma. It’s not like it was a promotion going to Oklahoma it’s basically a lateral move. It was rumored that they told her that she would be the coach when Gasso retires but how many years from now will that be. Kind of odd that you stay at one place for 12 years and leave for the same exact job you already have.
Just my theory, don’t know if there’s anything to it.
Well if the "Barnhills" meaning Mommy and Daddy are calling the shots thats on Walton. I would have told Mommy and Daddy that we are going to use kelly in a way that helps the team and if that wasn't on their list she could transfer away and I'd make sure that the softball world new that "mommy and daddy" wanted to call the shots.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Don’t know about the coach not calling for it. Rocha had her for 3 years and no change up either. I’ve got a feeling there may have been some friction between the Barnhill’s and Rocha, which led to her leaving to go to Oklahoma. It’s not like it was a promotion going to Oklahoma it’s basically a lateral move. It was rumored that they told her that she would be the coach when Gasso retires but how many years from now will that be. Kind of odd that you stay at one place for 12 years and leave for the same exact job you already have.
Just my theory, don’t know if there’s anything to it.
I don't think, nor have I read anywhere, that there was any kind of conflict between Rocha and anyone connected with UF. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma doubled or tripled the money she was making at Florida. Oklahoma just made Patty Gasso the first million dollar softball coach and she was given the freedom to spend big bucks to hire her associate head coach. Plus Rocha went back to her alma mater to coach in a program that has won 3 titles in the last 5 years and has much better players than Florida right now. Plus Gasso is 10 years older than Walton and if Rocha is going to take over a program she's closer to it at Oklahoma than she would be at UF.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Well, this is it. Do or die. Let’s see if the Lady Gators come through. I’m skeptical they can get it done and it’s going to take a hell of a lot more today than what they showed Thursday night to win. Show us what you’ve got ladies.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Well, this is it. Do or die. Let’s see if the Lady Gators come through. I’m skeptical they can get it done and it’s going to take a hell of a lot more today than what they showed Thursday night to win. Show us what you’ve got ladies.
Weather delay in OKC. Washington/Minnesota game stopped in the 6th so not sure when UF/Bama will take the field. But it's a brutal task ahead, as the UF/Bama winner plays Arizona next in an elimination game and then would have to beat Oklahoma twice to advance to the championship series.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Has Caraway ever thought it might be easier to get a hit if she actually tried to make contact with the ball BEFORE starting to run to 1st base?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
@Thick&ThinG8r I see you facepalmed my post but I’m serious. Can you explain to me when this new style of hitting became the rage to the point that she does this EVERY at-bat? What happened to keeping your feet planted, eyes on the ball and connecting to get a hit? This slap-dash shiiat (or whatever it’s called) doesn’t work.

I watch other teams and never see any of the opposing hitters do this every at-bat. I rarely see them do it as a one-off.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Our new pitcher Hightower sure has a nice change up. Doesn’t seem like she’s had a problem developing this pitch.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Yeah you gotta think you'd hit a way higher percentage if you are focusing on keeping your head down and your back foot planted to hit. I hate that slap hit crap. Eyes on the ball, head down and good posture with your feet set is how it should be done.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@Thick&ThinG8r I see you facepalmed my post but I’m serious. Can you explain to me when this new style of hitting became the rage to the point that she does this EVERY at-bat? What happened to keeping your feet planted, eyes on the ball and connecting to get a hit? This slap-dash shiiat (or whatever it’s called) doesn’t work.

I watch other teams and never see any of the opposing hitters do this every at-bat. I rarely see them do it as a one-off.
There have been slappers forever in softball, the idea though is to pound the bell into the ground so it takes a high bounce and then use your speed to get to first base. The problem with Caraway is that she hits the ball in the air 95% of the time and it barely goes 100 ft or hits a ground ball to the SS or 3B for an easy out.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
On the bright side at least Hightower is getting some experience at the Series.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
There have been slappers forever in softball, the idea though is to pound the bell into the ground so it takes a high bounce and then use your speed to get to first base. The problem with Caraway is that she hits the ball in the air 95% of the time and it barely goes 100 ft or hits a ground ball to the SS or 3B for an easy out.

I understand what she’s trying to do with her speed but it doesn’t work. She’s batting .221 with a .243 OBP, no HRs. All the speed in the world doesn’t do any good if you don’t put the ball in play. She could just as easily use her speed if she batted normally & put the ball in play. How many other players in the tourney try to do what she does with the slap style of hitting?

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I understand what she’s trying to do with her speed but it doesn’t work. She’s batting .221 with a .243 OBP, no HRs. All the speed in the world doesn’t do any good if you don’t put the ball in play. She could just as easily use her speed if she put the ball in play. How many other players in the tourney try to do what she does with the slap style of hitting?
I’m not sure how many in the tournament, I think every team has at least 1. The problem this year is the new rule where if any part of your foot is outside the box when you make contact you’re out. Alabama’s normal leadoff hotter got called for it a bunch in the Regionals and World Series now she is no longer their leadoff hitter. Caraway just doesn’t have the knack for hitting the top half of the ball. She needs work on standing in and swinging the bat normally and learning how to bunt before next year or take her rightful place on the bench.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014

They're called slappers, and like every other style of hitting, we suck at it.
Tennessee's lineup last week had 4 or 5 in it.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What a fcvking blow out! Our program has dropped so far so fast. Wow, we’re a middle of the road program in the SEC. Walton better get this fixed in the offseason or we won’t be sniffing the World Series for a long time.
Alabama had s crap season last year, they got it turned around quick. Just have to hope this new batch of recruits coming in are ready to play and maybe pick up a couple of transfers. Walton seems to have missed on some players in the last few recruiting classes. The players that should be carrying the load this year have not gotten the job done except for Lorenz, Barnhill, and Lindaman (until the last few weeks). Hoover, Roberts, Romanello, and Mathews have been pretty much invisible for most of the season.

Oh and by the way, the guy that’s doing a stellar job teaching our girls how to hit has also been the recruiting coordinator the last 2 years.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
What a fcvking blow out! Our program has dropped so far so fast. Wow, we’re a middle of the road program in the SEC. Walton better get this fixed in the offseason or we won’t be sniffing the World Series for a long time.
Harsh very harsh comments but certainly not inaccurate. coach Walton has his hands full because it looks like this team is going down the tubes fast. A lack of talent no pitching variety has crippled this team. It's a miracle they've made it to the College World Series the last two seasons.

I thank all the seniors for their efforts over four years. I'm sorry to see them going out like this. Especially against Alabama. I know the Gators made the World Series again but they're light-years away from Oklahoma and UCLA. They need some poppers and they need some slap hitters to set the tables. I really feel for Kelly Barnhill. But she got exposed the last two World Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator