Word of Caution

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I want to be real with everyone about this. We all know Dawgs*** is gone, whether it is sooner or later, we will find out.

What we really need to caution ourselves on is the new hire. Whoever it is, it is going to take a rebuilding process. Muschamp has put us into a hole in our ability to compete in the SEC in regards to recruiting and player development.

The new coach will need a few years to fully implement his system and get his players to take over, I am not expecting a Gus M type of turnover...as fans we are going to need to be patient with this next hire. As long as I see steady improvement including winning an upwards of 7, 8, 9, games a year and hauling in top 5 recruiting classes then I am on board to give the coach time to right the ship.

I guess all I am trying to say is that we might have a few more rough years before we reclaim our place at the top of the SEC...time to hunker down boys, we are in for the long haul...

p.s. thanks foley

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Only if we hire an actual HC with HC experience on the college or pro level. Otherwise, it is rinse and repeat.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n83653 said:
Only if we hire an actual HC with HC experience on the college or pro level. Otherwise, it is rinse and repeat.

I do not disagree, it's time for Foley to put up or shut up, his success in other sports do not matter nearly as much as football does

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not buying this, the right hire and you win within 2 years, maybe not a nc but winning

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think the expectations are going to be alot lower. I think fans will definitely be more patient. Especially if we're scoring points. It's hard to tell how long it would take to turn it around. Because we have talent this team is just poorly coached.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Corn I would normally agree with that, I'd still agree with that if Dunce was fired last year but he wasn't. We are in a deep hole, a very deep hole.

T-Gator, this might be the first time I actually agree with you on anything.

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I will say that with the right coach and qb a team can win in a year, but I know that is saying alot

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
cornbread;n83661 said:
I'm not buying this, the right hire and you win within 2 years, maybe not a nc but winning

Especially with a name like Florida that recruits itself.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n83664 said:
Corn I would normally agree with that, I'd still agree with that if Dunce was fired last year but he wasn't. We are in a deep hole, a very deep hole.

T-Gator, this might be the first time I actually agree with you on anything.
On anything?:sadnanner:

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Can you blame them though? I honestly won't be surprised if we have a ton of transfers at the end of this year also...kind of why i think its gonna be a longer rebuiliding process

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Darthgator;n83681 said:
Maybe even top 20....

We've had those every year under muschamp have we not? The guy can't coach, but recruiting is one of the things he seems to be good at

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n83683 said:
Can you blame them though? I honestly won't be surprised if we have a ton of transfers at the end of this year also...kind of why i think its gonna be a longer rebuiliding process

it's going to be on the new coach to keep the team together and scrape together a recruiting class. It all depends on who gets hired here.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
t-gator;n83687 said:
it's going to be on the new coach to keep the team together and scrape together a recruiting class. It all depends on who gets hired here.

The sooner the better

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I, for one, don't think we have as much talent on this team as others do. There are too many simple things I see not being done that even poor coaching can't screw up. Our offensive line does not block well and hasn't for a while. When you see tackles losing so many one on one match ups with DEs, that's talent. When you see so many dropped passes, that's talent. When you see so many missed tackles, that's talent. When you see so many poor passes, that's talent.

Now, WHY we lack talent falls on the coach. Lack of a winning attitude falls on the coach. Predictable and mundane play calling and game planning falls on the coach.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
divits;n83698 said:
I, for one, don't think we have as much talent on this team as others do. There are too many simple things I see not being done that even poor coaching can't screw up. Our offensive line does not block well and hasn't for a while. When you see tackles losing so many one on one match ups with DEs, that's talent. When you see so many dropped passes, that's talent. When you see so many missed tackles, that's talent. When you see so many poor passes, that's talent.

Now, WHY we lack talent falls on the coach. Lack of a winning attitude falls on the coach. Predictable and mundane play calling and game planning falls on the coach.

Here's the thing, at first glance I don't think we have that much talent either. However, how do we know? None of these guys have gotten enough good coaching to really see any progression. They might be better than what they're showing. Do I think they're elite? Other than Hargreaves...no.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The class will initially go south, no question. Once the new guy gets his footing, he'd be able to both secure the fold and bring in some new blood. I'm definitely going to say we have at best a top 15-20 class. That's just a reality. But there is enough talent to win with now, and the new guy would likely have a banner 2016 class as most new coaches do. I talked about Rivals saying we'd have a solid class if WM was retained, but that was based on a decent finish. That's out the window. So we're screwed either way this round. May as well be with a new guy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n83683 said:
We have alot of 2 star and 3 star filler on this team. We could lose them and not lose anything. They will never be on the field regardless, and our numbers are currently (still) terrible. We need a couple of large 30+ recruit classes immediately.

We are currently set up for a disaster anyway with lack of recruiting priorities shown by soon-to-be-fired staff. Just getting "our third" of the top players in Florida and getting some blue chips from elsewhere will have us back on the right path.

It's absurd that we only got 1 of the top 20 players in the state last year. There is no excuse, even the "I'm looking for blue collar guys" BS. You guys can spin all you want about how great the recruiting has been but when you recruiting against Vandy, Louisville and the like instead of the top teams, it's obvious you are no longer getting elite talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.