Work 'Em Silly, Gators!

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Since this sign has been there for so long, and it's made sure that it is there for every game, Why don't upper management make the decision to paint it in the Swamp as a permanent fixture?

Shoot, it was even included in the NCAA game many years ago. Anything that is that prevalent should be given permanent status.

Thoughts?

oh yeah, GO :chomp:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I like the organic look to it - like a couple of students spent an hour or two before the game getting it ready to bring to the Swamp.
Painting it in to the wall would lose its appeal IMO.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I actually like the idea of making it more permanent, but do it so it still looks like the sign... I agree it has become "part of the swamp".

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I always like to have fun with it and say: Work 'em, Silly Gators!
1406316311000-Work-Em-Silly-Gators.jpg

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatordiddy;n263489 said:
I like the organic look to it - like a couple of students spent an hour or two before the game getting it ready to bring to the Swamp.
Painting it in to the wall would lose its appeal IMO.

:britney:

More like two minutes with a spray paint can and an old sheet.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorBart;n263510 said:
I always like to have fun with it and say: Work 'em, Silly Gators!
1406316311000-Work-Em-Silly-Gators.jpg

As a kid, that's how I read it, and just assumed there must be a reason for calling the Gators silly. It's embarrassing to admit, but I just never got it.:headslap:

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n263527 said:
As a kid, that's how I read it, and just assumed there must be a reason for calling the Gators silly. It's embarrassing to admit, but I just never got it.:headslap:

I had a similar experience at my first game as a little kid. The crowd started the "Orange" "Blue" chant and for some reason I thought our side was saying "Boo" I figured it out afterwards and sat there during kickoff saying "blue, blue, blue, blue"

As for the sign, I say keep the sheet. There should be a little effort behind tradition and it's probably an honor to the person/people who get to make it.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Phineus Maximus;n263514 said:
More like two minutes with a spray paint can and an old sheet

That's what they want you to think - takes a lot of effort to get the 'shabby chic' effect - or the "just threw this together without much effort" look just right.
I'd like to know who's responsible for making sure it gets put up every game.
Is there a Work 'em Silly committee?
Maybe they come from a factory in China ... these things I just don't know.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Probably gonna get roasted, but I always thought that sign was DAF. Certainly don't want it permanently affixed to the stadium.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I liked it much better when you were allowed to post signs all over the east stands. It gave the place even more personality and some of the signs were pretty funny. I guess people just started getting too crude and it became an issue regarding which signs could stay and which had to go so they did away with all of them. I think the reason the "Work 'em silly" sign was allowed to stay is because the folks who put it up had been doing for years in the exact same place and it became iconic.

Here's a story about the sign's origins.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20061015/LOCAL/210150328

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
MJMGator;n263618 said:
Probably gonna get roasted, but I always thought that sign was DAF. Certainly don't want it permanently affixed to the stadium.

14b9811.jpg

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n263618 said:

The sign has become a tradition. It is something you know to look for in the Swamp and most fans would miss it if it were gone. Similar to how a cheer like 2 bits became part of gameday, this sign has already become part of the stadium.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Eh, when it first popped-up years ago, I thought it was the dumbest, most unoriginal sign ever. I remember laughing with friends at how stupid it was. After about 20 years of getting used to it, I suppose I have sorta forgotten about it and tolerate it just fine. But I would not be in favor of making it permanent. If someone wants to keep bringing it and hanging it, go for it. But let's not paint it to the stadium. That sorta needs to be preserved for more sacred things like Heisman winners and national titles.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n263527 said:
To be fair, I believe the comma after silly was missing through the 90s.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n263670 said:
To be fair, I believe the comma after silly was missing through the 90s.

Yeah, he didn't graduate until 99 according to the article. It takes all 4 years to figure out where to place the comma.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n263618 said:

:bananaburn:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
"Definitely a Fresco". MJM failed humanities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator