2016 College World Series

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Starting Larson in LF does make me question Sully's decision making, but no last night was not on him. Our hitters were impatient and took poor approaches to the plate which can only be coached so much. Players gotta perform.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is your same go to line every time.

No, I wasn't hoping we would lose just to say I told you so. Matter of fact, I didn't expect us to lose tonight. I just don't expect us to win a Championship with O'Sully. But those of us who don't think we'll ever win one with him, and it's the same shït every year, always take heat that we don't know anything.

Some of us lay blame at Sully's feet while other will find every way to defend. You're always in the camp of defending.
Come on, dude. You're ALWAYS the one coming in to call people out for stuff like this. ALWAYS. You and T-rex have this M.O. down pat.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This loss is similar to a 12 seed knocking out a 1 in the elite 8. It isn't fun, but it happens, especially when the 12 seed gets super hot. This particular 12 seed had the highest average runs/game in the country and hit 40 more HRs than the second school on the list.

They can hit the ball. Their pitcher was great last night. He was throwing strikes and keeping the ball low in the strike zone. Everything is at the batters knee which makes it very difficult to hit. He didn't make a lot of mistakes at all. He also did a great job covering first on a couple of plays that were key in the game.

Overall... it was actually a very good game. Take away the ball that Reed should have caught and I don't think you have any errors. Florida made some great defensive plays on the double play that Cover mentioned as well as picking off the runner at second and the guy coming home on the ground out.

I guess you can blame Sully for not getting the team mentally prepared to play or not recruiting enough clutch hitters. The reality is baseball (like basketball) can be a game of who gets hot when. Many people on this board view everything like a football game and don't really recognize the difference in how things can swing in the sports. In basketball and baseball more than football... one player can play above his level and impact the outcome. This happened with the CC Pitcher last night. He really hadn't been that consistent all year.

I just hope Faedo and the team come out ready to play against TT and get some momentum going.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Also... remember Billy Donovan (arguably the best coach ever at UF) took some time to figure out how to win in the tourney. He had some bad losses to higher seeded teams and was having trouble winning close games (last 3 baseball games at CWS have been decided by 1 run).

But Billy figured it out and helped to give us 2 of the best years in UF sports history. Sully will hopefully figure it all out also.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
I support Sully and this team 100%..and hope they can go on to win 4 in a row..however..until Sully swallows his pride and starts bunting to move runners over..we will continue to have an empty trophy shelf..it cost us 2 more runs last night..

Again, proud of this team and I back them all the way..GO GATORS

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
A manager in baseball has just about the smallest impact on a game compared to basically any other team sport. They can make roster moves and call for steals/bunts/hit and runs/etc., but when it comes down to it, the hitters need to hit, the pitchers need to make pitches, and the fielders need to make clean defensive plays.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Look these sub(marine) guys are tough to hit. I coach hs baseball and we train about 3 or 4 guys each year to do this w great success. Everyone wants to pull the ball or bailout and swing. College guys should adjust better than we did last night but it's tough when u don't see this style alot. We will be fine. Just get to the championship series and we are all square again. As far as Sully goes, he didn't strike out or give up hits. At this point it's up to the players to figure it out. Go play!
Go Gators!

This is exactly right. The risk/reward of these guys is the same as a knuckleballer - when they are on they are nearly unhittable, but their mistakes are like BP, and they are easy pickings.

This kid from CC made no mistakes, and threw the game of his life. His strike/ball ratio was absolutely insane, and combined with the "generous" strike zone from the ump, it was damn near impossible.

Sometimes big boys just tip their cap and say "good game".

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This is exactly right. The risk/reward of these guys is the same as a knuckleballer - when they are on they are nearly unhittable, but their mistakes are like BP, and they are easy pickings.

This kid from CC made no mistakes, and threw the game of his life. His strike/ball ratio was absolutely insane, and combined with the "generous" strike zone from the ump, it was damn near impossible.

Sometimes big boys just tip their cap and say "good game".
That would be the problem with most on this site.

:wobble:

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Agree with a lot of the comments above. Baseball is a funny game.

If the pitchers had been sharper, and the batters had put together some strings of hits, then Sully's a genius.
If the pitchers are just a bit off, and the batting isn't timely, then Sully's a bum.
Either way, 99% of the pre-game and in-game coaching is exactly the same.

In some ways, we were fortunate to have the game be so close. Coastal Carolina made a ton of extra base hits and had runners in scoring position almost every inning.

I don't bother following baseball recruiting, so I don't know much about incoming players until they get onto the field. But Jonathan India has been very solid, fielding and batting. The bases-loaded double play he made last night was terrific, and kept us in the game.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
QUOTE="GatorRaz, post: 329107, member: 476"]Look these sub(marine) guys are tough to hit. I coach hs baseball and we train about 3 or 4 guys each year to do this w great success. Everyone wants to pull the ball or bailout and swing. College guys should adjust better than we did last night but it's tough when u don't see this style alot. We will be fine. Just get to the championship series and we are all square again. As far as Sully goes, he didn't strike out or give up hits. At this point it's up to the players to figure it out. Go play!
Go Gators![/QUOTE]

Great post, Baseball is a game that changes every time a team takes the field. Good teams find ways to come back from a loss like last night; that is why it is a double elimination..

G8RATL

Master of My Domain
Aug 14, 2015
The "generous" strike zone had a lot to do with their pitcher's remarkable performance. I'd say at least 50% of those low and outside and low and inside pitches easily could have been called balls with another umpire. The K zone radar was showing them consistently as balls and typically would have been called that way.

Yes, at some point the hitters need to adjust and some did. They started swinging at those low pitches and guess what? ground balls galore. Others knew from playing all year that those would normally be called balls and were frozen like a deer in headlights watching the called strikes.

Not excuses but if those balls were called balls and the pitcher was forced to throw his stuff in the actual strike zone, the whole game could have been different. The few balls that hung in the zone got hammered.

It is what it is now and we just need to hope to play our ball in the losers bracket now.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Come on, dude. You're ALWAYS the one coming in to call people out for stuff like this. ALWAYS. You and T-rex have this M.O. down pat.

I like Sully. I would never call for his firing. Leave me out of this one please.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
A manager in baseball has just about the smallest impact on a game compared to basically any other team sport. They can make roster moves and call for steals/bunts/hit and runs/etc., but when it comes down to it, the hitters need to hit, the pitchers need to make pitches, and the fielders need to make clean defensive plays.
That description sounds quite similar to a basketball coach. Or a football coach. Or any coach...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
JJ hit 18 HRs his freshman year last year. This year he has like 8 ??
I know Sully is a pitching coach, but who is our hitting coach. We need a new improved model.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That description sounds quite similar to a basketball coach. Or a football coach. Or any coach...
Except no. Basketball and football coaches call plays that directly impact the game throughout the game. Every basketball possession starts with the coach calling a play. Every football play starts with the coach calling a play. Hockey involves shift changes every 45-60 seconds of game time in which the coach has to decide when to switch and which line to sub in. Hockey also has set plays off face offs and for power plays. All three sports have timeouts to strategically use throughout the game.

Until the starting pitcher is approaching the time to be pulled from the game, there's practically zero roster management during a baseball game. The only major sport with less in-game roster management is soccer, but even then it still depends on the game situation.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Except no. Basketball and football coaches call plays that directly impact the game throughout the game. Every basketball possession starts with the coach calling a play. Every football play starts with the coach calling a play. Hockey involves shift changes every 45-60 seconds of game time in which the coach has to decide when to switch and which line to sub in. Hockey also has set plays off face offs and for power plays. All three sports have timeouts to strategically use throughout the game.

Until the starting pitcher is approaching the time to be pulled from the game, there's practically zero roster management during a baseball game. The only major sport with less in-game roster management is soccer, but even then it still depends on the game situation.
But when it comes down to it, the wrs have to catch, the guards have to hit 3s, the goalie has to block shots.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
But when it comes down to it, the wrs have to catch, the guards have to hit 3s, the goalie has to block shots.
And the coach in all three of those sports has a direct and immediate impact on how easy or hard it will be to make those plays. You can call the best play for the defensive look you're getting. Granted, sometimes the players don't execute. There's not much a baseball coach can do if an opposing pitcher is unhittable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.