Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is the classic "I trust the coaches" response that make Swamp Gas the worst message board among Gator sports fans. We all get it, let the coaches do their jobs.
Mehhhhh.... to damn early to bytch. Even for me.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Has been a fairly strong scUM lean to date, but still in G'ville. It'd be nice to have a Rambo on the roster.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mehhhhh.... to damn early to bytch. Even for me.

I think the balance that's being missed here is that every class has a couple reaches, or flat out "trust the coaches" type moments. The best recruiters do that. The difference with McElwain is that we were having this conversation on every single commit. That has not been the case with Mullen at all. Maybe it's ptsd with some here, but as you said, there's zero reason to be concerned considering the size of this next class and the fact that we desperately need LB's. They're not all going to be 4-5*s in a case like that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
yep. we're going to be recruiting over 30 kids. it's hard to get multiple Blue Chip players to commit to the same position. Some will be reaches.

not sure we've seen enough from this kid for him to be able to label him a reach yet anyway. all we really know is that he hasn't camped much.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
In my opinion you are too caught up with the current recruiting rankings but I question if you will admit that you over reacted if the new verbal commits rise in the ranking.

I read Swamp Gas although I don’t post because I like to read different perspectives. I also know you read it too as you regularly updated the recruiting thread with their Candy Gram thread about potential recruits.

http://gatorchatter.com/threads/the-national-signing-day-thread.14690/page-313#post-663088

First off, I'm not over reacting. I'm reacting exactly like someone who's a fan of a - once - elite program would react to getting a commitment from the 547th ranked recruit. I hope the kid does rise up the rankings....but if he does rise, he likely only gets into the low 400's and might become a very low 4-star. But if that happens, he likely flips to Auburn or another school closer to home.

Yes, I read the Candy grams...how else do you think I post them here? In fact, look through this entire thread; I post up recruiting info from every site I can find. What's the point? The fact is, it's not an overreaction to be concerned about taking a commit from this kid. I hope he turns out to be a stud. But if you've been around here long enough, we saw the "Trust the coaches!!!" mantra beat non-stop about Butters and Co. This is a Butters special. Let's hope he's not a Rayshad Jackson..... I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest, but I'm tired of "trust the coaches". Let's see some 4 and 5 star commits.....then my 'trust' for the coaches will go a lot farther!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is good to hear:

Recruits rave about ‘new vibe’ at Florida following junior day

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-junior-day-vibe

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Dozens of recruits made their way to Florida on Saturday for the first junior day event under new coach Dan Mullen and his staff.

The Gators hosted multiple targets on campus, including 4-star tight ends Luke Deal (Greenwood, S.C.) and Keon Zipperer(Lakeland, Fla.), 4-star tackles Luke Griffin (Chatsworth, Ga.) and Michael Tarquin (Belleview, Fla.), 4-star defensive end Derick Hunter (Fort Myers, Fla.) and 4-star defensive backs Jaden Davis (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), Jalen Perry (Dacula, Ga.), Tyler Scott (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) and DJ Turner (Suwanee, Ga.).

Mullen and cornerbacks coach Charlton Warren made a strong impression on Davis, who is ranked the nation’s No. 19 cornerback in the 247Sports Composite.

“Just getting around the new staff and being able to talk to them was great. It was different than the other staff,” Davis told SEC Country. “This was my first time being up here with the new staff. … It’s just a new vibe. Coach Mullen is a cool guy and tries to relate more to the players. Coach Warren, I love his vibe. He’s more mellow and laid back. But when it’s time to go and get it, he turns up.”

Davis plans to return to Florida for an official visit on June 8. The Gators also secured an official visit Saturday from Zipperer, the No. 3-ranked tight end in the country. He has been receiving the full-court press from Mullen and tight ends coach Larry Scott.

“I really like the way Coach Mullen is,” Zipperer said. “He’s been the same since he was here the last time. Ain’t nothing change about him. He tells me all the time I’m his No. 1 guy.

“They’ve been all over me lately. It makes me feel real good. They just talk to me about how they’ll use me in the offense and how I’ll be a great player for this team.”

Junior day also produced a pair of commitments from 3-star linebacker Jammal Abrams (Birmingham, Ala.) and 3-star wide receiver Dionte Marks (Deland, Fla.). The Gators now have five members in their 2019 class.

“I love the coaches’ honesty, the love in them and the atmosphere. I just love it all,” Abrams said when asked why he pulled the trigger. “It’s a catchy vibe [at Florida]. With some coaches, you wouldn’t get the same vibe that you get here.”

In addition to Georgia commits Griffin and Perry, Florida also hosted Miami running back commit Marcus Crowley(Jacksonville, Fla.), Miami linebacker commit Jesiah Pierre (Mount Dora, Fla.) and 2020 Florida State safety commit Jadarius McKnight (Fort Myers, Fla.).

“I just like the academic program, the campus and the environment,” said McKnight, who was offered by Florida on Friday. “I talk to (safeties) coach Ron English. He’s lit and hype. He told me I’ll have a great chance at playing time because they need more safeties.”

The recruits and their family members spent time in the indoor practice facility, where they played Madden NFL 18, cornhole and interacted with Mullen and his assistant coaches. Multiple buses were used to provide the large group with a tour of the campus and stadium.

“It was amazing. It was really, really good,” Scott said. “Meeting all the new coaches was the highlight. I really like them. They’re going to do great here. There’s a lot of excitement and I can’t wait to see what they do this upcoming season.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I hope we get this kid:

TE Zipperer recaps UF visit
In-state tight end visits Florida, sets two official visits.

https://florida.247sports.com/Artic...his-Florida-Gators-junior-day-visit-115520276

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Top247 tight end Keon Zipperer visited Florida on Saturday for the Gators’ junior day. The trip was a positive one for the 6-foot-2, 240-pound four-star.

“I mean, everything went good,” Zipperer said. “It went good as planned. The last time I came up, I had a lot of fun, and today was the same.”

Zipperer came away from his visit feeling like a top priority of the Gators.

“Today, they really seemed like I’m their number one key player that they want, and I’d fit very well in their offense.”

While on campus, Zipperer was able to speak with head coach Dan Mullen.

“He just told me to stay atop my grades and keep everything straight and I’ll be straight by the time I get to college.”

The trip to Gainesville was the first time meeting the Gators’ new coaching staff.

“A lot of the staff is like father figures, ain’t nothing changed about them.”

Zipperer would not name any leaders, but admitted a top five is coming soon. Regardless, there are two school in line for official visits.

“Right now, I got an official visit set up for Oklahoma and I’m going to take an official visit here as well.”

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite currently ranks Zipperer as the nation’s No. 124 overall prospect in the 2019 class.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Two meh takes. This Isn't what I like to see from a $6M dollar coach and SEC experienced staff.These are guys you take to finish a class. Mullen better shed that gem mentality quick.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is Jackson State a better offer than Houston Baptist? :D
Obviously, yes. One is an actual scholarship, and the kid gets to play football on his HS team at least. Div 3 doesnt give outbathletic scholarships just invites to play on the team.

As was mentioned he went to Barn last week for a visit. He is on the radar of elite teams. That is a 1000 times better than a HS backup who couldnt get an offer from Texas State.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
massive offensive lineman Evan Neal. The 6-foot-7, 350-pound prospect

More News and Notes

Jim McElwane has been assigned recruiting Neal, due to his love for BBQ. Coach Mac said ;
"He's a bit big big to be so young. I'm hoping he'll trim a couple of inches off his heighth." :confused:

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Seriously, nobody cares what you like to see.
YOU cared enough to respond. What I like to see is what Meyer and SOS did here. You win titles with 60%+ BCs. Not beating Jackson state for players. I swear you guys never learn. Mac did the same exact crap. Let's hope Mullen fixes this quick. You can have a few reaches but you need elite talent to compete with elite talent. Great coaching + elite talent =CFP

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Is Jackson State a better offer than Houston Baptist? :D
Actually, yes. Walter Payton never played at Houston Baptist.
Edit: it should be noted that Payton never got an offer from Southern Miss. The Southern Miss coach watched him score six (or eight) TD's in a HS game. On the last TD he decided to show that he could out run his pursuers while running backward. The Southern Miss coach wisely decided that he didn't want a hot dog on his team (or maybe he just checked and found he was only a three star).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.