Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida recruiting: Dan Mullen holding inaugural ‘Gator Grill Out’ Saturday

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-dan-mullen-gator-grill-out

The last three head coaches at Florida all created new recruiting events and ways to attract prospects to campus.

The latest will take place this weekend under first-year coach Dan Mullen. He and his staff are set to host the inaugural “Gator Grill Out” on Saturday.

Several top targets are expected to attend, including 4-star linemen Dontae Lucas(Bradenton, Fla.) and William Putnam (Tampa, Fla.), 4-star defensive ends Nathan Pickering (Seminary, Miss.) and Lloyd Summerall (Auburndale, Fla.) and 4-star cornerbacks Jaden Davis (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), Chris Steele (Bellflower, Calif.) and DJ Turner II (Suwannee, Ga.).

SEC Country will have a full visitor preview later this week. The BBQ is going to be unlike any Florida recruiting events in the past.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-recruiting-dan-mullen-gator-grill-out

The last three head coaches at Florida all created new recruiting events and ways to attract prospects to campus.

The latest will take place this weekend under first-year coach Dan Mullen. He and his staff are set to host the inaugural “Gator Grill Out” on Saturday.

Several top targets are expected to attend, including 4-star linemen Dontae Lucas(Bradenton, Fla.) and William Putnam (Tampa, Fla.), 4-star defensive ends Nathan Pickering (Seminary, Miss.) and Lloyd Summerall (Auburndale, Fla.) and 4-star cornerbacks Jaden Davis (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), Chris Steele (Bellflower, Calif.) and DJ Turner II (Suwannee, Ga.).

SEC Country will have a full visitor preview later this week. The BBQ is going to be unlike any Florida recruiting events in the past.
Pickering seems to be still interested in us. Changing your mind about him not coming here?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

At least Mullen will feed these recruits some steaks or ribs, unlike Mac with his PB&J sandwiches

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Catching through contact is something our wr's haven't been good at.

Anyone know why Dwayne Dixon fell out of favor at UF? With all the lousy WR coches we’ve had the last 10 years I kept thinking they should have brought him back. He NEVER dropped a pass and knew how to get open and how to catch through contact. His WR corps were likewise smart at getting open and caught the ball, period.

Plus, he’s just a super guy to talk to. Always gracious. Great Gator.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Pickering seems to be still interested in us. Changing your mind about him not coming here?

Getting him would be huge....but when he signs an LOI w/ UF I'll change my mind. Otherwise, it appears he's doing what a lot of recruits do: taking his visits. Hopefully our staff can convince him to come to Gainesville, but it appears - and the CB's back it up - that he's heading to Miss State. You can't ever blame a kid for wanting to stay home. Sadly, we can blame our own staff for leaving Moorehead a loaded team.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Getting him would be huge....but when he signs an LOI w/ UF I'll change my mind. Otherwise, it appears he's doing what a lot of recruits do: taking his visits. Hopefully our staff can convince him to come to Gainesville, but it appears - and the CB's back it up - that he's heading to Miss State. You can't ever blame a kid for wanting to stay home. Sadly, we can blame our own staff for leaving Moorehead a loaded team.
I'm not putting a whole lot of faith in his CBs to date. Only a few (7) and they're all MSU insiders with the most recent ones given back in January. A LOT has happened with his recruitment since then. Still holding out hope on him. If he commits I'll buy it. Until then...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm not putting a whole lot of faith in his CBs to date. Only a few (7) and they're all MSU insiders with the most recent ones given back in January. A LOT has happened with his recruitment since then. Still holding out hope on him. If he commits I'll buy it. Until then...

Hey, I'm hoping he comes. But right now, I'm not going to hold my breath. He'd be as big as getting Sanders, imo. He'd be a dominating DL, much like the one's Alabama & Clemson have. I hope he comes and the fact he's coming in for the BBQ is a bonus. Long way to go, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

BTW, did you see the Lady Lacrosse team is playing in Harrisonburg on Saturday? I can't make it down there, but would have definitely gone if the schedule allowed. 1pm start. JMU is 19-1 this year w/ their only loss to #1 Maryland, losing 15-12.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah but Butters slathered onnthe PB extra thick for the players he really loved.

Honestly, you gotta wonder why the bbq sauce king didn't implement this idea. It's not Mullen invented it himself (other SEC schools are doing the same thing). With visions of big BBQ sauce sales this could have kicked things off!!

-----

Apparently they aren't allowed to do an "invite only" event, so I'm not sure how this thing is being coordinated. Visitor's list so far for the bbq:

• 4-star lineman Dontae Lucas (Bradenton, FL)
  • 4-star lineman William Putnam (Tampa, FL)
  • 4-star defensive end Nathan Pickering (Seminary, MS)
  • 4-star defensive end Lloyd Summerall (Auburndale, FL)
  • 4-star cornerback Jaden Davis (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
  • 4-star cornerback Chris Steele (Bellflower, CA)
  • 4-star DJ Turner II (Suwanee, GA)
  • 3-star OL commit Ethan White (Clearwater, FL)
  • 3-star WR commit Dionte Marks (Deland, FL)
  • 4-star LB commit Tyron Hopper (Roswell, GA)

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Hey, I'm hoping he comes. But right now, I'm not going to hold my breath. He'd be as big as getting Sanders, imo. He'd be a dominating DL, much like the one's Alabama & Clemson have. I hope he comes and the fact he's coming in for the BBQ is a bonus. Long way to go, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

BTW, did you see the Lady Lacrosse team is playing in Harrisonburg on Saturday? I can't make it down there, but would have definitely gone if the schedule allowed. 1pm start. JMU is 19-1 this year w/ their only loss to #1 Maryland, losing 15-12.
Ah, no, I didn't see that! Weather's supposed to suck on Saturday and if not I'll probably have some tilling and prepping to do for my wife's garden. If I can get enough of that done in advance I'll try to get up there and support.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So any idea what's going to be going on at this BBQ? Seems like a long way to go for ribs and baked beans. Specially if you don't really plan on going to UF.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So any idea what's going to be going on at this BBQ? Seems like a long way to go for ribs and baked beans. Specially if you don't really plan on going to UF.

They want to have a "family" atmosphere and do a bunch of things like corn hole, etc (like a bbq at your house or something). This is from Spivey's podcast:

Let’s move on. Let’s start talking a little bit about this recruiting event, Nick. Mullen is bringing the cookout to Gainesville this weekend on Saturday. First event, first time for this. Nick, I think you and I might have talked about this last year on a podcast, but we’ll talk about it again. You see these different things. Auburn does their cookout weekend. It’s a lot of different things that they do. It’s a cookout. They play a lot of games throughout the day. They just make it almost like a fun family environment day that they make that weekend. It’s something Florida hasn’t done, and it’s something that I’ve kind of always wondered about. When you have Friday Night Lights and you have all the camps, it’s all football related stuff. You always have a lot of guys on campus. Again, it’s a football deal.
Nick: How much do we hear recruits say it was a family environment? When you’re talking about recruiting and what it comes down to when guys are making that final decision on what school, sure, obviously you’re going to take into account X’s and O’s. If I’m a 6’6” quarterback with a rocket arm and molasses on my feet, I’m not going to play for Scott Frost. It just doesn’t make sense. I don’t fit your offense. It comes down to that, but it’s really about the relationships that you’re building with coaches for two and three and four years before you even step on campus. Why not have an event that isn’t football centered?
Andrew: Exactly. Like I said, it’s a different thing, and I think it’s a good thing. It’s able to show these guys and the staff in a different way. I personally like it. Again, they’re trying to hold back and make it more of an invite-only thing. Of course, that’s not legal to just do invite-only, so they can’t really do that. They’re trying to make it more of guys they just want on campus. That’s what they’re trying to do.
Again, I like it, because if you’re just having 30 kids on campus, and it’s just a situation where they’re eating, playing cornhole, playing basketball, whatever they’re trying to do, it’s a lot different. They don’t have to worry about making sure everyone is happy or making sure they’re talking about football. The coaches aren’t having to worry about also coaching their position, or whatever it may be.
I personally have been in favor of this. I’ve always wondered why Florida didn’t do something like this, just because it’s an event that, like you said, Nick, everyone talks about family. The family environment, getting to know the coaches. Especially with a new coaching staff, where guys don’t know this staff as well as they knew someone like McElwain, who’d been there three years, or someone who’s been at a school for four or five years.
Nick: I’ve talked about it before. I think this staff is in a better position. Obviously, so many guys from Dan Mullen staff at Mississippi State had probably been recruiting some of these guys. Maybe not having the same chance to get them to Starkville that they will now in Gainesville. Obviously, Charlton Warren and Ron English at Tennessee.
Christian Robinson, I had some egg on face. In Miami, I asked Dan Mullen about how they had kind of drawn up the 10 recruiting areas in the state of Florida, because he said they want to recruit every single high school in the state of Florida. I’m like, that’s like 800 schools. How do you do that? That’s like 80 schools per coach. That seems like a lot. I was like, “What about someone like Christian Robinson, who maybe Christian Robinson or Brian Johnson don’t have it?” He goes, “Brian Johnson actually has extensive recruiting history in South Florida.” There was a little egg on my face there.
They’re splitting it up, and these guys are going to hit every single school.
Andrew: I said this before. I don’t think that that’s a bad thing, especially with Mullen. I get that all these guys have coached there, but they haven’t walked in with the Gator logo. They haven’t walked in with the Florida State logo or the Miami logo on there. Scott has. When you walk in with an instate logo on you, you instantly get more respect than an out of state school, 90% of the time. There’s a few schools, a few head coaches, that don’t.
Anyway, it’s good. There’s always a small school that might have that one stud in four years or three years, or whatever it may be. I think it was Mullen talking about Chris Jones when Hevesy walked in. Chris Jones was a guy nobody knew about, and he blew up to be a five-star and one of the first round Draft picks. I like that about that. It’s a situation that I think is going to pay off for them. No stone unturned for them.
Mac had that whole motto of recruit daily or die, whatever it may be. That didn’t pan out. That didn’t pan out for his staff. This staff is showing. It’s paying off. Events like Saturday will show the effects of that kind of stuff.
Nick: Maybe they’ve got some of McElwain’s barbeque sauce that they can keep around.
Andrew: For real. I mean, let me ask you this. Give me your opinion. What do you think about the event?
Nick: I love it. It goes back to what I just said. So much of recruiting is building relationships, and why not have, everything in recruiting doesn’t need to be centered around football. A lot of what these guys talk about is what’s going on in school, what’s going on. They’re involved in these people’s home lives and their friends. There’s so much more that goes into recruiting. Even not just recruiting, once they’re on campus too. It’s so much more about their day to day lives and helping 16, 17, 18, 19-year-old kids grow into men. I think it’s a great start. We’ll see how it runs and how it goes. You’ll have, I’m sure, a ton of updates from the kids on their opinions on it and how the event went.
Andrew: Exactly. Again, it’ll be interesting to see how it works out with if it’s just guys they invited and that kind of stuff. It’s big, because they’re getting some guys in. Chris Steele, a big DB out of California, is going to come on an unofficial this weekend and visit. He’s going to turn around and in a couple weeks or a month, he hasn’t decided on the official date, is going to come back for an official visit. That’s big. They got a tight end in Jaleel Billingsley out of Chicago coming down on an unofficial visit. Both of those are big.
I think that kind of goes with what we talked about, and it shows that they’re getting out and seeing these kids and the relationships are paying off for this staff as they do that. For a guy like Billingsley, for a guy like Steele, who haven’t been on campus yet, I think an event like this is huge, because it’s a barbecue. They’re going to be sitting around, playing games, that kind of stuff. They’re able to get to know the coaches a little bit more. The families are able to get to know the coaches a little bit more. They’re able to sit down and visit with them more. I think it’s more of a get to know you thing.

(more on next page)....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
(continued):

Do you want these guys to see practice? Do you want these guys to see a game? Sure. You never don’t want that. Some of these guys that are big-name guys, especially a guy like Chris Steele, can go anywhere in the country. He knows what he’s going to do on a football field. He knows where he’s going to be. You’re going to get that opportunity to show him on TV, show him film, that kind of stuff.
Nick: There’s only so much the conversation can be when you get a guy that’s visited a couple of times. When he’s a known commodity on the field, how many times can I say, this is how you’d fit in our defense?
Andrew: Right. Exactly. Then it’s only so much time you have during game time, during camp time, when you have 50, 65, 100 kids on campus. There’s only so much you can do, so much time.
Again, those two in particular I find are very big. I’m going to run through a couple other names that are coming on campus this weekend. Big offensive lineman out of Tampa, Plant, Will Putnam, big big-name guy coming in. Recent FSU commit, offensive lineman Dontae Lucas is coming in town this weekend. Big defensive tackle out of Georgia, Jaelin Humphries, coming to campus. Big instate guy in Lloyd Summerall, rat pack’s finest, is coming in this weekend. A guy from Mississippi, Nathan Pickering, coming in and visiting.
Then a couple of your guys from STA, St. Thomas. DB Jaden Davis and DB Jordan Battle are coming in town. They’re also going to have Dionte Marks, a commit, for them, and their linebacker commit, Tyron Hopper, is going to be in town.
So far, we’re talking about this on Monday, a good group of guys already visiting. I’m sure by Friday and Saturday we’re going to be looking at more names confirmed and more big names coming into town.
Nick: What do you think the chances are that something like this could earn a commitment from somebody?
Andrew: Again, I could see it. It wouldn’t surprise me, but, again, I think it’s all about furthering things. A lot of the guys that are visiting this weekend haven’t visited. Maybe once for some of these guys. I think this is about setting it up for another visit. It’s a process.
Again, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a commit, but I also wouldn’t get my hopes up fully that someone does. I’m sure there’s going to be someone saying, if you don’t get a commit it’s not a successful weekend. Again, I can see that, but at the same time getting some of these guys on campus, setting it up for the long haul, is huge.

Nick: What do you think the total number will be?
Andrew: Of guys on campus?
Nick: Yeah.
Andrew: I would say probably 30, 35. Especially if it’s 30 or 35 guys that they just invited, that would be absolutely huge.
Nick: Right. Like you said, you can’t have an invite-only. That’s illegal.
Andrew: You can make these guys feel like I really don’t want you to visit this weekend. There’s ways they go about this. Friday Night Lights is supposed to be invite-only, and it never ends up happening to that, but usually the guys that are wanted on campus know about it before everybody else. Let me just say it like that. Again, I think it’s a big thing, think it’s a big weekend. I think it’s another huge recruiting moment for Mullen and for his staff. I think that it’s something people are going to look forward to in the future for this event.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
This is interesting: the QB out of Alabama that was a Plan B, Peter Parrish, has moved up the boards. He's not ranked the 9th DT QB in the class (one spot ahead of our commit, Jalon Jones). I'm curious if we're still pursing him.

https://247sports.com/Player/Peter-Parrish-46043259

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-F...ngs?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=DUAL

Our current commit Jones looks to be a little bigger than this kid and growing, isn’t that what Mullen usually goes after, a big mobile QB? I don’t see why we don’t keep tabs on him and a few others, if we can get Jones to sign in December, then we can really go hard after a few of the talented ones that are waiting to sign in February. I’m thinking If Franks looks like I expect him to look this year (which ain’t good), that he’ll transfer out leaving us with just the 2 Jones, the preferred walk-on we just signed and Trask will still have one year I believe. So really only 2 that are made for this offense, I don’t see why Mullen wouldn’t try to sign 2 this year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Our current commit Jones looks to be a little bigger than this kid and growing, isn’t that what Mullen usually goes after, a big mobile QB? I don’t see why we don’t keep tabs on him and a few others, if we can get Jones to sign in December, then we can really go hard after a few of the talented ones that are waiting to sign in February. I’m thinking If Franks looks like I expect him to look this year (which ain’t good), that he’ll transfer out leaving us with just the 2 Jones, the preferred walk-on we just signed and Trask will still have one year I believe. So really only 2 that are made for this offense, I don’t see why Mullen wouldn’t try to sign 2 this year.

Yes, Jalon is bigger. But I suspect so is Parrish (those sizes are from a year ago). Jones just measured at 6'4 203 at the camp he attended last month (he's listed at 6'3 180 in the 247 link). So I suspect Parrish is probably 200, maybe taller? But we're talking about an inch or two in height and about the same weight. Parris would be a great #2 in the class. If you look at that list of DT QB's, there aren't many options for a good Plan B. There may be an unknown or two out there (which is why they're visiting all HS's in the state). But that would probably be a preferred walk-on type.

If Franks leaves, we still have Trask for 2 years (he's a redshirt soph this year). So next year we'd have Jones/Jones/Trask....and hopefully another QB. There's always a chance at a grad-transfer or other transfer. But we're looking at 2019 having those 3 (if Franks transfers). But I've been saying, where would Franks go? Especially if he stinks it up again this year? Who would want him?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, Jalon is bigger. But I suspect so is Parrish (those sizes are from a year ago). Jones just measured at 6'4 203 at the camp he attended last month (he's listed at 6'3 180 in the 247 link). So I suspect Parrish is probably 200, maybe taller? But we're talking about an inch or two in height and about the same weight. Parris would be a great #2 in the class. If you look at that list of DT QB's, there aren't many options for a good Plan B. There may be an unknown or two out there (which is why they're visiting all HS's in the state). But that would probably be a preferred walk-on type.

If Franks leaves, we still have Trask for 2 years (he's a redshirt soph this year). So next year we'd have Jones/Jones/Trask....and hopefully another QB. There's always a chance at a grad-transfer or other transfer. But we're looking at 2019 having those 3 (if Franks transfers). But I've been saying, where would Franks go? Especially if he stinks it up again this year? Who would want him?

A La Tech type or FCS

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mac had that whole motto of recruit daily or die, whatever it may be. That didn’t pan out. That didn’t pan out for his staff. This staff is showing. It’s paying off

Thank you BMF. Great info. There's along ways to go but this staff isn't exactly setting the world on fire on the trail. Long ways to go for sure but I'd to see them pick it up some. Hopefully, events like this get some momentum going.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

I’d say let LSU have him, they surely wanted him before. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.