Recruiting Another recruit decommits

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I find it impossible to fret about losing a 3 star receiver.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That's true at this point nothing to worry about. It also could be this kid thinking "his stock has gone up" wants to see if anyone else will offer. But I'm not upset at this point about him decommiting. Win 9-10 games then we'll have several to choose from. Get the offense exciting again and then the players will line up too.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp said:
I saw Payton in high school before he had a single offer from a college program. He's a good player, but it's not the end of the world that he decommitted. He certainly has developed better than I thought he would from a physical standpoint, and I do think he's the best of the receivers that have decommitted at this point. He'd be a solid take for Florida.

Few other thoughts on comments in this thread I've read:

1) Absolute worst-case for Florida is a mediocre year (read: 8-4) where Muschamp gets retained. IMO, that probably leads to at least a few of the 5-star leans ending up elsewhere and you end up with a good but not great class from what should be one of the once every half-decade type setups for Florida.

2) I don't think Muschamp gets retained with a 7-5 record. Let's face it, Florida's going 3-0 to start the season, and if it doesn't, disregard the rest of this point. Go 3-0, and I just can't see going 4-5 in the rest of the regular season begin enough to keep Muschamp. Recruiting falls apart, there's no real sign of progression, etc. It's just hard to envision any scenario where 7-5 allows Muschamp to stay employed.

3) Nothing that happens in recruiting (good or bad) the next two or three months really matters much. The guys lower-rated guys decommitting now will end up being a good thing if Florida surprises and wins nine to 10 games. Likewise, the solid commits Florida could land in the next week or two (Adonis Thomas, Ray-Ray McCloud, etc.) very well may not stick if Florida ends up mediocre. Wouldn't sweat anything going on with recruiting right now. Florida's in total limbo.
I don't think the absolute worse case is 8-4. I'd take that right now and be happy. That would mean that Florida actually beat a good team. That hasn't happened since the upset over FSU in November of 2012. I am more worried about Muschamp keeping his moniker of being a streak buster. Last season, he had the first losing record since 1979, lost to Vandy at home for the first time since 1945, and lost to a FCS team for the first time in school history. I'm worried that he has his eyes set on ending the Kentucky and/or Tennessee streaks this year, along with continuing excellence against Georgia. And you say 8-4 is mediocre?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
TheDouglas78;n16759 said:
Crack is a hellva drug.
1327661-normal_cocainerickjames.jpg
touche

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp;16827 said:
I saw Payton in high school before he had a single offer from a college program. He's a good player, but it's not the end of the world that he decommitted. He certainly has developed better than I thought he would from a physical standpoint, and I do think he's the best of the receivers that have decommitted at this point. He'd be a solid take for Florida. Few other thoughts on comments in this thread I've read: 1) Absolute worst-case for Florida is a mediocre year (read: 8-4) where Muschamp gets retained. IMO, that probably leads to at least a few of the 5-star leans ending up elsewhere and you end up with a good but not great class from what should be one of the once every half-decade type setups for Florida. 2) I don't think Muschamp gets retained with a 7-5 record. Let's face it, Florida's going 3-0 to start the season, and if it doesn't, disregard the rest of this point. Go 3-0, and I just can't see going 4-5 in the rest of the regular season begin enough to keep Muschamp. Recruiting falls apart, there's no real sign of progression, etc. It's just hard to envision any scenario where 7-5 allows Muschamp to stay employed. 3) Nothing that happens in recruiting (good or bad) the next two or three months really matters much. The guys lower-rated guys decommitting now will end up being a good thing if Florida surprises and wins nine to 10 games. Likewise, the solid commits Florida could land in the next week or two (Adonis Thomas, Ray-Ray McCloud, etc.) very well may not stick if Florida ends up mediocre. Wouldn't sweat anything going on with recruiting right now. Florida's in total limbo.

I agree with this entire post. There's no way we should be keeping him if we go 7-5. Really 8–4. The problem is if we should have gotten rid of Muschamp it should've been at the end of last year.

This recruiting class is head and shoulders better than last year's crop. And many of the high-level recruits are lined up with us. A bad season or a Muschamp firing will set our program back years.

A great season will propel us for the next couple years. I can't wait for the season to start. This season is the most unpredictable one that I can remember. With the athletes that we have on offense I really believe that Roper will get them in space and our offense will be considerably more explosive.

On a sad note, I had a dream last night that we lost to Idaho. I woke up in a cold sweat. :(

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen said:
So......signing day is in 7 months, correct?
So you are worried about the recruiting rankings in July? You are worried that 20 3-star athletes have verbally committed to Mississippi State. The horror.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This thread = :panic:

Some of you need to relax. You'll live longer.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is what happens when you have put out a crap product on offense for 4 years and you are coming off a 4-8 season with a lame duck head coach. It is what it is...they kept him around so this is what we will have to deal with all year. It's going to come down to winning games and actually looking like a functional team when doing so. IF they are able to turn around the offense and win some big games we will start to rake in the recruits. If we continue to be atrocious and lose games we shouldn't then Muschamp is going to be fired and we are in for probably what will be the worst recruiting class at UF in 25+ years and the next coach will have an mountainous rebuilding job ahead of him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp;n16827 said:
It's just hard to envision any scenario where 7-5 allows Muschamp to stay employed.
It would have been impossible to envision a scenario where a Gator coach went 4-8, including a loss to GSU, and kept their job. NO ONE would have believed that could happen, regardless of any circumstances. So I'm skeptical Foley will fire him now, even after a 7 win season. After all, that's a 3 win improvement!

:suicide:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n16849 said:
That's true at this point nothing to worry about. It also could be this kid thinking "his stock has gone up" wants to see if anyone else will offer. But I'm not upset at this point about him decommiting. Win 9-10 games then we'll have several to choose from. Get the offense exciting again and then the players will line up too.

It think it's hilarious that people continue to talk about a 9-4 season and finishing 3-4th in the the SEC east as if it's some how a good year.

I hate the fact that you people have been Dawgified.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n16953 said:
It think it's hilarious that people continue to talk about a 9-4 season and finishing 3-4th in the the SEC east as if it's some how a good year.

I hate the fact that you people have been Dawgified.

And I hate having to read your constant negative post but barring a Ban, I guess we are stuck with you.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:
NavetG8r;n16665 said:
Either we win and win big this year and we keep Muschamp because he's turned things around, or we suck and we fire his @ss and get a new and exciting HC to entice those young men here. It's win/win either way.
If only this was true. The most likely scenario is not that we kick ass or we suck, it's that we're mediocre - and Muschamp is retained. In my opinion, if we win 7 games he's not going anywhere. We can have our very own Mark Richt.
I don't buy 7 games.
8 games maybe, but not 7 because the 5 L's would almost assuredly be to our toughest competition, and/or perhaps someone we should beat. I would fully support axing Muschamp if we only have 7 wins this season.

That said, I think we'll get 9 or 10 this year. 9 being the most realistic IMO.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
This is what happens when you have put out a crap product on offense for 4 years and you are coming off a 4-8 season with a lame duck head coach. It is what it is...they kept him around so this is what we will have to deal with all year. It's going to come down to winning games and actually looking like a functional team when doing so. IF they are able to turn around the offense and win some big games we will start to rake in the recruits. If we continue to be atrocious and lose games we shouldn't then Muschamp is going to be fired and we are in for probably what will be the worst recruiting class at UF in 25+ years and the next coach will have an mountainous rebuilding job ahead of him.
I think the 2013 and 2014 classes are strong enough that a bad 2015 class wouldn't be crippling. It would suck, but it wouldn't kill the program as long as the 2016 class was back to UF standards. But it's still too early to worry about that happening. Still plenty of time for UF to have a good class.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rub some dirt on it. You'll be ok. Please enlighten me as to when 9-4 or 8-5 became acceptable. I'm all ears.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
We certainly seem to have lowered our acceptable standards....

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n16906 said:
It would have been impossible to envision a scenario where a Gator coach went 4-8, including a loss to GSU, and kept their job. NO ONE would have believed that could happen, regardless of any circumstances. So I'm skeptical Foley will fire him now, even after a 7 win season. After all, that's a 3 win improvement!

:suicide:

None of those losses counted because of the injuries, didn't you get the memo? :rolleyes2:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp said:
I saw Payton in high school before he had a single offer from a college program. He's a good player, but it's not the end of the world that he decommitted. He certainly has developed better than I thought he would from a physical standpoint, and I do think he's the best of the receivers that have decommitted at this point. He'd be a solid take for Florida.

Few other thoughts on comments in this thread I've read:

1) Absolute worst-case for Florida is a mediocre year (read: 8-4) where Muschamp gets retained. IMO, that probably leads to at least a few of the 5-star leans ending up elsewhere and you end up with a good but not great class from what should be one of the once every half-decade type setups for Florida.

2) I don't think Muschamp gets retained with a 7-5 record. Let's face it, Florida's going 3-0 to start the season, and if it doesn't, disregard the rest of this point. Go 3-0, and I just can't see going 4-5 in the rest of the regular season begin enough to keep Muschamp. Recruiting falls apart, there's no real sign of progression, etc. It's just hard to envision any scenario where 7-5 allows Muschamp to stay employed.

3) Nothing that happens in recruiting (good or bad) the next two or three months really matters much. The guys lower-rated guys decommitting now will end up being a good thing if Florida surprises and wins nine to 10 games. Likewise, the solid commits Florida could land in the next week or two (Adonis Thomas, Ray-Ray McCloud, etc.) very well may not stick if Florida ends up mediocre. Wouldn't sweat anything going on with recruiting right now. Florida's in total limbo.
Nice post TG - thanx.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
It's too early in the recruiting period to get worried.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n17053 said:
Rub some dirt on it. You'll be ok. Please enlighten me as to when 9-4 or 8-5 became acceptable. I'm all ears.

Last time I checked the scoreboard we are undefeated.

Can't we have some hope?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR said:
We certainly seem to have lowered our acceptable standards....
Winner winner, chicken dinner!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator