Appleby Led Offensives

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
If Appleby can go 60% and cause 1 turnover or less, we win. If he is below 50% or has 2 turnovers by half time, Mac should think about pulling him. If he has 3 turnovers you have to yank him.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No way should a true freshman start in one of the loudest stadiums in the country for his first start when you have someone with experience to start. If Appleby started really messing up that is one thing but you have to start him imo.
You said the exact opposite with Treon a few years ago. What's changed with you?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you want to see Appleby against a top 10 unbeaten team on the road, watch this starting at about the 30 min mark and on:

I certainly see his talent in this game at Iowa. I also see a bit of his throwing high on occasion.

Ok, I watched a good bit of it. Whoever compared him to Jeff Driskel was spot on. Strong arm. Can be accurate, but can be wild too. Misses seeing defenders sometimes. That's probably why he's had so many interceptions in his career. He just zings it in there sometimes regardless of how many defenders are in the area. You can tell he just didn't even see them, he was so zeroed in on his receiver. Yep, he stares em down, just like our beloved Jeff. God help us if we have to throw much to win Saturday. UT won't drop the ball like Iowa was doing in that game I watched. Those would be interceptions against real defenses.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He was a starter at a Big Ten school. A Big Ten school that reeked of ass.

Think like AA, you have a career, then all of a sudden, with one year of eligibility left, you get the chance to play for UF, better coaching, better facilities, and completely world class talent around you. His confidence alone should be through the roof. He manages the game and we win, and all the media pinheads led by Slimebaum, et al can suck it yet again.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This article on AA isn't that confidence inspiring. He was benched at Purdue, that's all there is to it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...appleby-eager-opportunity-20160918-story.html

Let's just hope our defense and running game is on fire.
Yeah, this is pretty much the reality of the box we currently find ourselves in regarding our QB situation. Trask or Franks seem to be our future here but for some reason I have a feeling that Nuss is dead set on red shirting Trask no matter what happens on Saturday and Franks is no where near ready to get behind center according to all reports. We are still trying to dig ourselves out of this QB debacle from the Muschamp years and we still have a ways to go. Let's just hope AA can be competent and serviceable enough to get us the win for UT and the next game until LDR returns....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You said the exact opposite with Treon a few years ago. What's changed with you?

Over Driskel who already showed he would just spaz out under pressure and keep turning the ball over. We havent seen Appleby start for the Gators yet.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Looks like Law ignored the deadline. Take some time away. :byebye:

By the way, his refusal to answer my simple question speaks volumes. He would pull for Trask to fail just to say he was right.

And you would pull for Appleby to fail so that you can say that you are right. That too speaks volumes.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Ok, I watched a good bit of it. Whoever compared him to Jeff Driskel was spot on. Strong arm. Can be accurate, but can be wild too. Misses seeing defenders sometimes. That's probably why he's had so many interceptions in his career. He just zings it in there sometimes regardless of how many defenders are in the area. You can tell he just didn't even see them, he was so zeroed in on his receiver. Yep, he stares em down, just like our beloved Jeff. God help us if we have to throw much to win Saturday. UT won't drop the ball like Iowa was doing in that game I watched. Those would be interceptions against real defenses.

Hmmm?

1. I agree with some of your verbal analysis.

2. His career pick rate is 3.88% that compares to the gold standard of UF QBing Wuerffel having a pick rate of 3.59%. Your view may be a sign of some of the bad coaches around UF since SOS. You can throw too few picks too, if you never try to do anything with the ball. I have not been able to quickly find data on pick rates, but under 4% does not seem like "so many interceptions" to me.

3. That Iowa team Appleby was going against finished 8th in the country in interceptions per game last year. That was at the time they played a team ranked 5th in the country and it was a team. The guy who drop the best shot they had at picking Appleby was leading the country in interceptions according to the announcers on the game. I sort of doubt UTn has any more real a defense than Iowa had last year.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As long as Appleby is an upgrade from Treon Harris, we'll be fine. Fortunately, I think he is.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The stats tell us he has the same tendencies

Nothing like when Driskel spazzed out. Appleby's problem was he wanted to make something happen too much usually. Driskel just got nervous and couldn't think straight or something under pressure. Mac might have helped Appleby with the forcing the ball too much issue.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Nothing like when Driskel spazzed out. Appleby's problem was he wanted to make something happen too much usually. Driskel just got nervous and couldn't think straight or something under pressure. Mac might have helped Appleby with the forcing the ball too much issue
I disagree somewhat. I think the biggest problem with both is that they don't know how to read coverage. Then when they get confused they have to make a decision on whether to try and run which worked for them in HS or try to use arm strength to force the ball which may have also worked in HS....These are embedded tendencies that usually don't work as well at this level. Very few of these types of QB's make it in college unless they drop down in level of competition.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think the biggest problem for Driskel was Muschamp. Fortunately, we know with certainty Appleby does not have that problem.
:lol: Without a doubt it helps for QB's to have a functional offensive line and D1 level receivers help too....so I guess Appleby should be in better shape than JD.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's possible AA forced the ball often at Purdue b/c they were trailing in games. Give him a good defense and he won't have to take as many risks.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
I guess we will find out what we have Saturday... If AA12 isn't getting it done...roll the dice on a Freshman

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
:lol: Without a doubt it helps for QB's to have a functional offensive line and D1 level receivers help too....so I guess Appleby should be in better shape than JD.

Lets not forget we have a few more options other than 2 pass plays and a run up the middle over and over..

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You can't compare Driskell under Muschamp to AA under the present coaching administration, unless you genuinely believe Chump = Mac and it's entirely about the player.

I, for one, don't believe that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A rumor on another site is Franks is the backup to Appleby Saturday that he has improved a lot. I find that hard to believe this season anyway after he Driskeled so much in that Spring game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator