Appleby Led Offensives

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
We are by far the best team UT has faced this year. Yeah, they will be jacked up but they are every year - 11-0 and counting.

I have a feeling that AA will be fine, and cause the Vols some problems with the arm and legs. He's older now and knows more than he ever has. If the O line can stand up to the TN D front we are in tall cotton.

UT has not shown they can play dominating football so far. I like our chances.
Gators 28 Vols 17

Last edited:

beaniemonk

Cubicle Gangster
Nov 24, 2014
If there's one thing a year and a half of lurking has taught me, it's this: enjoy the conversation, be entertained by it, but don't put much stock into it. Especially when it comes to quarterbacks. And especially when it comes to freshman quarterbacks being good enough to jump the depth chart.

I personally think Appleby will be fine, barring maybe one stupid throw that ends up not hurting us that much. He'll go something like 13-22 with a touch and a pick. I think our ground game carries us this year against their pretty exploitable run defense.

And I don't think we realize just yet how good our defense actually is. We'll be ready this year when Dobbs goes mobile, and he is a below average passer. I think he'll be under constant pressure and have an absolute nightmare of a day behind center.

I think Tennessee had their best chance already. I think if VT doesn't turn the ball over 5 times, it's a very different game and a very different conversation. I don't think the team is all that cohesive, nor do they particularly like playing for Butch Jones, and I think it shows. If they really want to be considered nationally relevant, they should be coming out and doing to lesser opponents what similarly-ranked teams like Washington, Miami, and Nebraska are doing. Instead it's been all lackluster efforts.

I think this game is the start of the end for Butch. I think they lose 4 games this year (3 of the next 4, and then a surprise by a Mizz or UK at the end), which obviously won't be good enough to put up with his douchebaggery for another year. Then it's at least a couple more years of transition and mediocrity before they are a factor again.

29-13. And they only get to 13 well after the game is in hand.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A rumor on another site is Franks is the backup to Appleby Saturday that he has improved a lot.
Why do youfind it hard to believe? Mac has said it every time it comes up, we will get Austin, Feleipe and Kyle ready, always in that order.

The meltdown will be spectacular.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A rumor on another site is Franks is the backup to Appleby Saturday that he has improved a lot. I find that hard to believe this season anyway after he Driskeled so much in that Spring game.
I don't understand why you've hated on franks so much and you've pumped applebee, who has driskeled his whole career.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand why you've hated on franks so much and you've pumped applebee, who has driskeled his whole career.

I don't hate Franks. I just find it hard to believe he is ahead of Trask right now even though he probably has a bunch of potential. That Spring game is still stuck in my head and that is when it is supposed to be easier for them. I am just prone to using that Driskeling term when someone plays like that now. Believe me if Appleby pulls that Saturday I will say he is Driskeling.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why do youfind it hard to believe? Mac has said it every time it comes up, we will get Austin, Feleipe and Kyle ready, always in that order.

The meltdown will be spectacular.

Well I am not a Trask pusher to play Saturday but there may be a change in some people if Franks came in and played good if Appleby did fall apart.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Well I am not a Trask pusher to play Saturday but there may be a change in some people if Franks came in and played good if Appleby did fall apart.

I hope and pray Franks comes in and knocks it out of the park. I will be cheering for him big time. Same way I will if its Trask.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree somewhat. I think the biggest problem with both is that they don't know how to read coverage. Then when they get confused they have to make a decision on whether to try and run which worked for them in HS or try to use arm strength to force the ball which may have also worked in HS....These are embedded tendencies that usually don't work as well at this level. Very few of these types of QB's make it in college unless they drop down in level of competition.
Concur. Reading and reacting to coverages has a couple of important components:
  1. Correctly identifying the coverages pre-snap and knowing what each defender is responsible for along with the routes and how they may be affected.
  2. Swiftly processing the above info and making the correct decision on where to throw the ball (to the receiver or away) or to tuck and run.
Sometimes overcondfidence (wanting too badly to make something happen) can be as big a problem as slow processing of route progressions. We'll have a better picture Saturday evening of just who Appleby is and, most probably, what he will become.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Look I don't think FF is ready. I saw him live at the HS All American Bowl and he looked lost there, then to see him in the O&B game only cemented my belief that he isn't ready. If Mac is the QB whisperer as claimed, he would have to do a lot of screaming to get him ready to play in prime time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We'll have a better picture Saturday evening of just who Appleby is and, most probably, what he will become.
I think so too. Maybe if the offensive live gives him time to go through some of his routes he will be better than many of us think. He did play behind some pretty bad lines at Purdue...Our line looks to be functional in the pass protection up to this point but if he starts getting skittish early from pressure the coaches will have a big task trying to keep him on target.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
AA is supposed to be better due to he has been on the field in big-crowd games ...
... due to his now having Florida players around him. So look at that O&B game.
AA accounted for less than 36 yards when you subtract his 3 sacks. 2 of 3 passing.
Vastly inexperienced Trask accounted for 80 yards - 4 for 7 for 63, 4 runs for 17 yards, 1 sack.
Is AA a perennial underperformer ? -- a hasn't-been has-been ?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
AA is supposed to be better due to he has been on the field in big-crowd games ...
... due to his now having Florida players around him. So look at that O&B game.
AA accounted for less than 36 yards when you subtract his 3 sacks. 2 of 3 passing.
Vastly inexperienced Trask accounted for 80 yards - 4 for 7 for 63, 4 runs for 17 yards, 1 sack.
Is AA a perennial underperformer ? -- a hasn't-been has-been ?

Yep and Driskel looked good in the 14 Spring game. That doesnt mean much. You have to see them on the field in a real game.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Everything I've read about Applebees is that everything positive in his career has yet to happen, please ignore the fact that he's a senior.

He sucked in high school, he sucked at Purdue. We'll see how good of QB whisperers ole Butters n Nuss are.

Don't expect AA to look like anything but what you've already seen of him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yep and Driskel looked good in the 14 Spring game. That doesnt mean much. You have to see them on the field in a real game.

Not drawing conclusions about one QB looking falsely good in a spring game. Talking about
a comparison on a level playing field (O & B game) QB-Trask outdoing QB-Appleby... or more valid the
AA performance level has stayed low from O & B to his play in real games = efficiency rating of 90.
Yep, we'll wait to see AA Saturday when it's crucial.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing like when Driskel spazzed out. Appleby's problem was he wanted to make something happen too much usually. Driskel just got nervous and couldn't think straight or something under pressure. Mac might have helped Appleby with the forcing the ball too much issue.
I agree with this completely. Driskel is actually pretty accurate when wearing a redshirt and keeping his eyes downfield, which he never does in a real game. He cant help from looking down at the defense's rush and rolls right immediately often even out of a clean pocket.

I also agree that reading a defense is a problem for both Apples and Driskel and for many college kids that receive poor coaching, including Tebow.

Apples seemed too aggressive and too confident. I would think watching Fulwood and Worton for three weeks would dispel any notion he might have had that throwing into coverage might result in something positive.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would think watching Fulwood and Worton for three weeks would dispel any notion he might have had that throwing into coverage might result in something positive.

:lol2: Worton might have assured Appleby he will get the refs to call some penalties if he throws his way.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
Not really worried about losing LDR. He has been pretty mediocre so far aside from Kentucky and we have faced 3 terrible teams so far. Kentucky defense has already been shredded twice by cupcakes.

If you replaced Applebee with Luke del Rio on Purdue would his stats be any better? Probably not a whole lot better if any better at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lol2: Worton might have assured Appleby he will get the refs to call some penalties if he throws his way.
The bad news is it seems the QB has to put the ball in Worton's earhole to get even a PI call. The good news is Worton got one hand on that pass that hit him in the earhole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.