Appleby Led Offensives

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to go into this game with an open mind.. Hopefully AA realizes the importance of this game and studies film harder than he ever has.

I'm not gonna judge to much into his missed throws the other night because it was obvious he wqsnt prepared to play.

Short and intermediate routes will be key.. Complete those and establish the run and we will be fine on offense.. If I'm Tenn I'm more worried about the fact we are for sure missing two key defensive players and maybe a 3rd. Without Sutton they have no one to cover Callaway.. Get him going across the middle and let him make YAC.

I think Appleby legs will be an x factor. The guy can move the pocket which Del Rio cant... Appleby just has to realize that this is Florida not purdue.. You don't have to force the ball.
I agree that judging him too harshly for his throws is a tendency. But the guy throws passes all week. Some guys never have the touch. Dobbs is a good example. Some guys never can hit a baseball for the same reason. The brain just doesn't connect with the arm. Boy do I hope this guy surprises me.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How many of you have watched Purdue football up close? Living in Indiana, I have had that dubious honor, and I can tell you I've seen 5A high school football teams in Florida with better coaching. I went to a game a couple of years ago, sat in the end zone, and was calling out coverages that were beyond obvious. They lined up at least twice on defense without anybody responsible for the slot receiver, like they'd never even heard of such a thing. It was a mockery of a travesty of a joke of college football.

And I've got to say, while I've enjoyed winning, I haven't been that impressed with LDR. He throws off his back foot, and when he runs out of time he throws into double and triple coverage. His arm strength isn't there, and he can't zip the ball.

So let's give AA a chance with a week of focused coaching. I expect they'll take advantage of what he does well and try to stay away from weaknesses. So what does he do well? He puts a LOT of zip on the ball. He can rifle short throws into tight spaces. What else? He has a big arm. That means he can throw the long over-the-top balls without the huge rainbow we see from LDR. So, tight throws to the sidelines and bombs downfield, but not lots of decision-making in the center of the field, right? I can live with that, because keeping the DBs honest by keeping them deep and outside is EXACTLY what he needs to do to make the running game work. Add the fact that he can run where LDR can't, don't put him in a position to make big mistakes, and he can deliver.

My $0.02, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
I hope you're right. He just needs to manage the game and not turn the ball over. Establish the LOS and run the ball and the Gators win!

Go Gators!!!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How many of you have watched Purdue football up close? Living in Indiana, I have had that dubious honor, and I can tell you I've seen 5A high school football teams in Florida with better coaching. I went to a game a couple of years ago, sat in the end zone, and was calling out coverages that were beyond obvious. They lined up at least twice on defense without anybody responsible for the slot receiver, like they'd never even heard of such a thing. It was a mockery of a travesty of a joke of college football.

And I've got to say, while I've enjoyed winning, I haven't been that impressed with LDR. He throws off his back foot, and when he runs out of time he throws into double and triple coverage. His arm strength isn't there, and he can't zip the ball.

So let's give AA a chance with a week of focused coaching. I expect they'll take advantage of what he does well and try to stay away from weaknesses. So what does he do well? He puts a LOT of zip on the ball. He can rifle short throws into tight spaces. What else? He has a big arm. That means he can throw the long over-the-top balls without the huge rainbow we see from LDR. So, tight throws to the sidelines and bombs downfield, but not lots of decision-making in the center of the field, right? I can live with that, because keeping the DBs honest by keeping them deep and outside is EXACTLY what he needs to do to make the running game work. Add the fact that he can run where LDR can't, don't put him in a position to make big mistakes, and he can deliver.

My $0.02, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Nice post.

I've been saying it and don't understand why we're arguing about how BAD our backup QB is.... It seems people want him to fail just so we can see Trask to prove a certain poster wrong (or right). Give the guy a freaking chance!!!!

Again, there are so many posters here propping up McElwain as the next Saban or Meyer yet they don't think he can coach up AA?? Appleby played WITH Purdue talent at Purdue and had Purdue coaching. Now he has Florida talent and Florida coaching. That alone is worth a bump in his production. I'd gladly take 2 TDs and 1 INT this weekend from him. Hell 1 and 1 wouldn't be bad. It's better than LDR's 0 & 1 vs. North Texas.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you want to see Appleby against a top 10 unbeaten team on the road, watch this starting at about the 30 min mark and on:

I certainly see his talent in this game at Iowa. I also see a bit of his throwing high on occasion.

He like to thread the needs, like Jay Cutler. That's probably why he throws so many INTs. He did brink his team back and his receiver dropped a sure TD pass that would have tied the game at 20. Really, that is all we need. Our defense will help him out but he needs to extend drives by picking up first downs and putting points on the board.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
He like to thread the needs, like Jay Cutler. That's probably why he throws so many INTs. He did brink his team back and his receiver dropped a sure TD pass that would have tied the game at 20. Really, that is all we need. Our defense will help him out but he needs to extend drives by picking up first downs and putting points on the board.

^^ That ability, with MacNuss calling simplified reads and pass selections to safe throw areas should lead to the game management we need without INTs. Add in the mobility he has to escape pass rush when required (can UT pass rush? I know our OL is shaky, but how is their DL?) should keep the game safe and manageable so long as AA doesn't take hits that cause fumbles or injury.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
From that article NOT MY WORDS

ong story short, Trask's 2-star rating was insanely miscalculated, and he's impressed McElwain, Nussmeier and the other coaches early on.

Trask, too, has a cannon attached to his right shoulder, like Franks does. However, he's been way more accurate than Franks.

Trask is a big body at 6-foot-4, 230 lbs. He's practically — dare it be said — Tebow-esque.

He stands tall with great bounce in the pocket. He has a nice touch on the ball to compliment his arm strength. He can drop a dime over a linebacker's head down the seam and then turn around and fire a strike on a 35-yard corner route. Trask also senses pressure well, and when he does, he has the mobility to pick up yards with his legs.

All that aside, the reason he needs to start is because he represents the future. Appleby does not.

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Someone's been buying the coolaid. If Trask plays, poor Law will need plenty of alcohol to calm his nerves.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
All that aside, the reason he needs to start is because he represents the future. Appleby does not.

Disagree. You play the veteran because you want to WIN. If we were sitting 4-4 right now, sure play the freshman. We can win the East this year and our best chance at winning in Knoxville is NOT with a true freshman who hasn't started a football game since he was in Pop Warner. And again, we don't know who is #2 - Franks or Trask. Most assume it's Trask...but most are also assuming Appleby will play just like he did at Purdue (never mind he's now being coached by OUR coaches and he'll be playing with OUR players).

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I think you have to give the vet the start and see what you have with him. But if he's completely ineffectual and we're down at halftime as a result, then I'm all for making a change.

And exactly the same would apply thought not have been said about del Rio this week. This is the beginning of the season. No UF QB has looked geat yet this season.

This is a huge chance for Appleby. He can win this job. UF says he is 6'4" 240 lbs. He appears from video to have a very good arm. He could really do wonders for himself by playing smart and leading UF for the rest of the year. On the other hand he could force the ball a bunch or force the ball uncessarily if UF gets a lead and let this chance slip through his fingers. Again this is a huge chance for Appleby.

Sep 29, 2015
And exactly the same would apply thought not have been said about del Rio this week. This is the beginning of the season. No UF QB has looked geat yet this season.

This is a huge chance for Appleby. He can win this job. UF says he is 6'4" 240 lbs. He appears from video to have a very good arm. He could really do wonders for himself by playing smart and leading UF for the rest of the year. On the other hand he could force the ball a bunch or force the ball uncessarily if UF gets a lead and let this chance slip through his fingers. Again this is a huge chance for Appleby.

It would not have been said about Del Rio because if anything he has shown that he's a competent manager, albeit against awful defenses. Not really any egregious errors. He has also shown that he can string a drive together and hit the deep pass. Since we've won this game with much less than that the last two years, I would not have expected to be down at halftime because of LDR. AA has a history of throwing a lot of interceptions, and there's fact that he did lose the starting job to LDR in the offseason. That's cause for concern and therefore under similar circumstances, fair or not, I would have a shorter leash for AA than LDR.

I do agree with BMF that AA's history is not exactly reliable considering the disparity between talent/coaches he played with at Purdue and what he has to work with here. Also, Mac appears to have a skill in scheming to get guys open. If the O-line gives AA the time, I think he can make the necessary plays. In other words, I don't think we will be seeing Trask/Franks in anything other than mop up duty this weekend.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Disagree. You play the veteran because you want to WIN. If we were sitting 4-4 right now, sure play the freshman. We can win the East this year and our best chance at winning in Knoxville is NOT with a true freshman who hasn't started a football game since he was in Pop Warner. And again, we don't know who is #2 - Franks or Trask. Most assume it's Trask...but most are also assuming Appleby will play just like he did at Purdue (never mind he's now being coached by OUR coaches and he'll be playing with OUR players).

I know you quoted me but those words were not mine they were from an article posted above.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
But if he's completely ineffectual and we're down at halftime as a result, then I'm all for making a change.

It would not have been said about Del Rio because if anything he has shown that he's a competent manager, albeit against awful defenses. Not really any egregious errors. He has also shown that he can string a drive together and hit the deep pass. ...

But if we are down at half and the QB has been ineffectual, why wouldn't you make a change whether the QB is named Appleby or Del Rio or Trask or Franks?

Sep 29, 2015
But if we are down at half and the QB has been ineffectual, why wouldn't you make a change whether the QB is named Appleby or Del Rio or Trask or Franks?

I think it should and would absolutely be considered if that was the case, though I did say I would have shorter leash for AA than LDR.

My point was more that given what we've seen from LDR thus far, it wouldn't really have been a topic of conversation. While he hasn't performed like a world-beater, he's clearly an improvement over what we've had and, speaking for myself at least, I was prepared to ride with LDR without worrying about his backup. With LDR vs. AA, I don't think we would have been as sensitive to the possibility in the week leading up to the game that LDR would have us losing at halftime because of his play.

I mean, this thread is focused on the middling-to-bad offenses led by AA at Purdue....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.