Basketball Recruiting

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dammit! If this is true, it's a shame. White offered this kid when half the coaches in the nation didn't even know who he was or where he was even from (or afraid to offer as he was a lowly 3-star at the time). Losing a FB recruit is common and is not such a big blow, losing one out of 25 or so; but losing a BB recruit is huge as it's only one of 3 to 5 players normally. Especially hurtful if it's one that's been committed for over a year at a position of need starting next year, what would be the kids freshman year.
I guess Hester better start getting some PG experience this season and I hope that Sexton now sees the opportunity to come in and be the point man for the Gators in his freshman season.
I'm still hoping it's not true; and if it is, I'm curious to see who's trying to poach our commits.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It's to the point that good news is hard to come by for this program (both basketball and football). That's just where we are at right now unfortunately

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Let's hope this isn't true.

This really sucks. It's surprising considering basketball commits usually stick, plus recruits can start signing soon. White better be at Alexander's doorstep nonstop. I wonder who's getting in his ear?

FYI, Alexander played with the U-18 Canadian team this past summer at FIBA America's basketball tournament and averaged about 8 points and 5 assists per game.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't feel like starting a new thread....here is the write up from today's scrimmage. Very encouraging sign offensively. 20-34 on 3pters.

Does look like 2 of our better players can't play this season. Hudson and Gak had good days. Stone, Barry, Leon, and Egbunu played great.

http://floridagators.com/news/2016/...little-defense-in-first-gators-scrimmage.aspx

Thanks for sharing. Great to see some points being scored, but need defense also. It's the same type of thing with a Football scrimmage... is the O that good or the D that bad...

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Awesome, thanks Lee!
Really looking forward to seeing Stone in game action.

In the picture on the link, Stone looks like a chiseled specimen. I am excited as well. I hope he is a PF who can put the ball on the floor and beat his man one on one. Seems like that is the type of offense coach White likes to play.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Maybe he can ask Will Grier for some supplement recommendations.
tumblr_nbipn2Gc971rrx588o1_500.gif

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There is a chance. We are in his final 3 I think, so hopefully that's why Shai backed out if he really did.
Last I looked, sexton was 90 percent crystal balled to bama. I'm just trying to be optimistic here. B-ball recruits dont usually decommit unless there's someone better at their position or Kentucky offers. This could be a huge blow.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The interesting thing is whether or not Alexander is a college PG. Lots of places say he is a SG. I wonder if he is looking for reassurance he will be the PG at UF?

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The interesting thing is whether or not Alexander is a college PG. Lots of places say he is a SG. I wonder if he is looking for reassurance he will be the PG at UF?

Maybe the other way around? Maybe he wants to be a SG and White wants him as a PG. He looks like a natural PG to me.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we lose a recruit to Bama in basketball.....
I getcha, but when Avery Johnson, a former NBA point guard, is the coach, yeah, a young PG might be interested in playing for someone like that. The SEC has seen increased BB coaching talent in the past couple of years with the addition of Johnson, Howland, Barnes and Pearl (round 2).

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The real shame is that UF does not have a beat writer who might find out what happened and tell us. Heck so far he has not even reported this has happened.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The real shame is that UF does not have a beat writer who might find out what happened and tell us. Heck so far he has not even reported this has happened.
Agreed, GS sucks. Here's some articles confirming Alexander's decommitment.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ll-talented-committed-shai-gilgeous-alexander
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1718176-florida-loses-key-commitment?s=235
http://northpolehoops.com/2016/10/17/canadian-point-guard-shai-alexander-opens-recruitment/

The third link says he's the #2 Canadian player, behind his cousin Nickel Alexander-Walker, who has committed to VaTech. Maybe he wants to play with his cousin? The articles also state that he is still considering UF, but with signing period right around the corner in November, this is not a good sign. Will be interesting to see what school(s) he focuses on. I just thought we have a pretty good scenario for him to walk into.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If mike white loses a recruit to va tech, he needs to retire. It's not a good look when your prized a few weeks before he's supposed to sign. Kids rarely ever decommit in basketball.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
If mike white loses a recruit to va tech, he needs to retire. It's not a good look when your prized a few weeks before he's supposed to sign. Kids rarely ever decommit in basketball.

Buzz Williams can flat out recruit. He likes tall guards. Plus he has more of a track record then White....5 ncaa trips in 6 years at Marquette. But still, Alexander has been a committ to UF for a year. I'm eager to know what the crap is going on.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
How's the year shaping up to be?
Recruiting was going ok until we just lost our best recruit. This season is probably going to be similar to last year. Maybe worse even since we don't have any home games the first half of the season. I expect us to be on the bubble at the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator