Basketball Recruiting

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
2019 we're in with a couple top 10 players according to Adam zagoria. Scottie lewis is one but i can't remember the others name. He was on the radio saying they've been to gainesville a few times already.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I was thinking about this too the other day. As soon as NSD passes on Wednesday, it really is the start of the run up to fall basketball signings for the 2018 class. Here is Scout's list for UF:

http://www.scout.com/college/basket...RecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue

I like Scout as they guess about positions. Seems a bit light on bigs in my view.

A class of Weaver, Jones, Moore, De Sousa and Brown is probably a pipe dream, but would be great. I do not really even know how many UF will be in a position to sign yet.

Florida is listed a lot on that page. I love that White is going after these tall PG.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Getting a top recruit could start the program heading back into the top tier of schools. I still think we can get one for the 2018 class. It's going to be an important one, that might need to be guard heavy

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I was thinking about this too the other day. As soon as NSD passes on Wednesday, it really is the start of the run up to fall basketball signings for the 2018 class. Here is Scout's list for UF:

http://www.scout.com/college/basket...RecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue

I like Scout as they guess about positions. Seems a bit light on bigs in my view.

A class of Weaver, Jones, Moore, De Sousa and Brown is probably a pipe dream, but would be great. I do not really even know how many UF will be in a position to sign yet.
What is a good sign for now is that Duke and UK are not listed for a majority of those players you listed. I think we got a realistic shot for them as of now. Would be awesome if we could get a few great players to buy into our program

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I cannot help but be disappointed that the tallest White can get is 6'8". FSU has signed a 7-footer.??

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
What is a good sign for now is that Duke and UK are not listed for a majority of those players you listed. I think we got a realistic shot for them as of now. Would be awesome if we could get a few great players to buy into our program

Sadly with some of the top guys the chrystal balls are all UK even though they do not have an offer yet.

I cannot help but be disappointed that the tallest White can get is 6'8". FSU has signed a 7-footer.??

Gak is 6'11"

http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9823

so there is the center of the future after Hayes. Gak I believe was completely recruited by White.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
6'11"/ 7 foot Gak....also, 6'9" Hayes and 6'9" Bassett. Chase Johnson and Isaiah Stokes should be around 6'9" when enrolled. We also have 6'6" SG Hudson (transfer) and 6'6" SG Ballard. But what is the best sign of team height is our PG commits and going forward are 6'3" Hester and 6'4" Okauru.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yeah I know, but hopefully one commits early and doesn't **** out like Alexander

I am not holding my breath. I would think that after years when UF flops with guys like the Harrisons who end up staying a couple or 3 years other kids would stay away from that situation. But Alexander fell for it hook line and sinker.

If he is not a one and done, he will be recruited over each year until he or Cal leave.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
In terms of recruiting, I think we will be having 2 more spots open up as well. With Egbunu (shouldnt) and Robinson leaving early. 1 has to leave, unless someone transfers out. We are 1 scholarship over as of now for next season. So we may have an extra spot that could go to another recruit or hold on to it for 2018 (which I think will happen), with a chance for another grad transfer to fill the spot

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
In terms of recruiting, I think we will be having 2 more spots open up as well. With Egbunu (shouldnt) and Robinson leaving early. 1 has to leave, unless someone transfers out. We are 1 scholarship over as of now for next season. So we may have an extra spot that could go to another recruit or hold on to it for 2018 (which I think will happen), with a chance for another grad transfer to fill the spot

UF's current scholarship roster is:

PG: Hill, Chiozza
SG: Allen, Hester, (Hudson)
SF: Leon, Barry,
PF: Robinson, Stone, (Bassett)
C: Egbunu, Hayes, Gak

Clearly Hill, Leon and Barry are gone. I think Robinson and Egbunu go too. The situation at SG makes me wonder if Allen is gone also.

UF has 4 recruits meaning as of today next years roster is:

PG: Chiozza, Okauru
SG: Allen, Hudson, Hester
SF: Stone, Ballard, Johnson
PF: Robinson, Stokes, Bassett

Which puts UF at 14. So one more person is going but as I said above maybe 3.

BTW, I agree I would like to have a graduate transfer spot. Particularly after the success of Barry, I think many will be interested.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I know we have Gak and the others that are 6'9". My musing was really about that 7' "landmark".
I also realize that the right 6'8"ers that have weighty big butts, along with more coordination are
the more valuable productive players.

Rethinking on 7 footers, remember in 1970 JU had two 7 foot starters : Artis Gilmore & Pembrook Burrows.
Burrows led the nation in FG%. JU went 27-2 and lost in the NC game to UCLA. Anyway back then I thought
'70 would usher in an era "avalanche" of 7 footers??

We have 6'11" Egbunu who has been outplayed by almost all his 6'8", 6'9" opponents. Still, I would be proud
if we acquired a big biggie. I like the inside young ones we have and am anticipating Hester defining himself
as our concurrent sharpshooter with K.Allen and DRob.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I know we have Gak and the others that are 6'9". My musing was really about that 7' "landmark".
I also realize that the right 6'8"ers that have weighty big butts, along with more coordination are
the more valuable productive players.

Rethinking on 7 footers, remember in 1970 JU had two 7 foot starters : Artis Gilmore & Pembrook Burrows.
Burrows led the nation in FG%. JU went 27-2 and lost in the NC game to UCLA. Anyway back then I thought
'70 would usher in an era "avalanche" of 7 footers??

We have 6'11" Egbunu who has been outplayed by almost all his 6'8", 6'9" opponents. Still, I would be proud
if we acquired a big biggie. I like the inside young ones we have and am anticipating Hester defining himself
as our concurrent sharpshooter with K.Allen and DRob.

1. I am sure we all hope Stokes has the kind of skills his brother has with a similar body type.

2. In 1991 officer Burrows claimed to be 6'11.75":

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...40_1_burrows-dolphins-jacksonville-university

So even though that LSU guy seemed much bigger than Egbunu last week, I view 6'11" to 7'1" pretty similar.

3. The Donovan system was not good for 7' guys and I think the White system is similar.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Clearly Hill, Leon and Barry are gone. I think Robinson and Egbunu go too. The situation at SG makes me wonder if Allen is gone also.

BTW, I agree I would like to have a graduate transfer spot. Particularly after the success of Barry, I think many will be interested.
I think we lose 5 as you suggest, but not Allen (I hope).
Okauru hasn't signed anything yet. Likely waiting on the last spot to open up (i.e. Robinson or Egbunu to commit to the draft).
I've also been impressed with the ball handling ability of Hester, so I think he gets the PG backup spot next season, with Allen bringing the ball up every now and again.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Yep, pipe dream; but I like dreaming. :thumbup:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I think we lose 5 as you suggest, but not Allen (I hope).
Okauru hasn't signed anything yet. Likely waiting on the last spot to open up (i.e. Robinson or Egbunu to commit to the draft).
I've also been impressed with the ball handling ability of Hester, so I think he gets the PG backup spot next season, with Allen bringing the ball up every now and again.

Good point on Okauru and all the recruits have to graduate high school to have their admissions go through.

Hester does have a good handle. I think Allen does too, but being a PG is somewhat mentality to handle the ball and take the risk all the time. Hester may well have that mentality, but I am not sure yet.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014

Next year probably looks like this:

Starters

PG: Chiozza/Allen/Hester/Okauru
SG: Allen/Hudson/Ballard/Hester/Okauru
SF: Hudson/Stone/Johnson/
PF: Stone/Stokes/Bassett/Johnson
C: Hayes/Gak/Stokes/Bassett/Johnson

This assuming Robinson and Egbunu leave

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.