Basketball Recruiting

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I think Allen is gone after this year.
To where...?

Allen should be back for next season and maybe the year after. He has to learn to dominate a game and score consistently from game to game. He can become a great college player, but to turn pro he needs to be scoring 20+ a game or start playing PG because that's his NBA position

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
For a consensus 5-star and top 10 player in the nation, he's lacking offers from the big time programs, but they'll likely come calling. We could use another 6'8" swing type and this kid would obviously be the centerpiece to the 2018 class - he's played guard as well, so he can handle the ball well and apparently shooting is a strength. We really need to get a top-notch guard for 2018 though, with Chorizo (and probably Allen) gone after next season. leaving a Sophomore (Okauru) at the point. We're gonna be a young team for a couple of years after this season.

1. Moore's crystal ball on 247 is all UK despite no offer yet.

2. Allen does need to be a PG for the NBA in my view. On the other hand, I would not be shocked to see him go after this year.

3. I could see a 2018 line up of

PG: Okauru (Soph)
SG: Hudson (SR)
SF: Stone (JR)
PF: Stokes (Soph)
C: Hayes (SR)

with rotation players like Hester (JR), Gak (JR) and Bassett (JR). So that would not be too young. Of course if you look back in 2 years, half of these 8 players may have declared early or transferred, but I could certainly see UF not being terribly young in 2018. And back to the issue of this thread, there are lots of minutes for a guy like Moore or another PG.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To where...?

Allen should be back for next season and maybe the year after. He has to learn to dominate a game and score consistently from game to game. He can become a great college player, but to turn pro he needs to be scoring 20+ a game or start playing PG because that's his NBA position

I agree, but I have a feeling he is wanting to head to the NBA as quickly as possible. Maybe we will get lucky and he will test the draft without an agent... or maybe he decides to stay because he does need the work.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Here are my thoughts on White. He understands that def can win you ball games when the shots dont fall. He understands that def. is how you get a team to play like a team. If I see my buddy working his ass off playing def. Im gonna be inspired also. Def is HARD. Teams that play it well will usually be in better shape than the opponents. The 04s would hit dry spells on offense but surprisingly the other team would too (cause the 04s played solid d). I dont care what kind of all star team Cal has at UK a good def team with seniors and jrs will give him fits............He had one team (with that Davis kid) that could play as a team and Davis was a big reason. One last thing. Chemistry is HUGE in basketball. The 04 wanted to win. They did NOT care who was scoring or being the star. When your team plays with that attitude you can surprise people. White is still playing with Billy kids. He has them playing pretty well and improving. I think White can be very successful at UF. Following Billy is like following SOS. But the pressure will be less. This may be MOM stuff but basketball is simple. The more passes you make and the more pressure you put on the other team the better your odds.............

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
White has made HUGE strides with this team on defense and scoring without the 3 pointer. Reverse lay up and drawing the foul is my favorite play of course. We are at least 9 deep and can run/press with anybody. Devin, Kevaughn, Leon, Barry, and Chorizo can all hit 3's on given nights. Hayes is playing well and Kasey has matured into his role....Egbunu is the biggest disappointment so far mainly because of his apparent lack of "want to", to me anyway.

This team is going to be fun to watch and could go very far this year.....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I really like the job White has done this year. I hope he can get some studs to G-Ville.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Allen stays consistent, he'll be averaging near 20ppg over the last half of the season.
That's good enough to be considered NBA material.
However, I think the NBA would easily shut him down. He needs more college playing to more
activate his speed & quickness. Besides, I'd like us to have him to make next season's Gators top-notch.

Still, hurray for this season. Allen, DRob, Leon, Barry, that's 4 guys that can hit 16-17 each any
night I think Hayes can score 10. Stone makes rookie mistakes but he's got potential to become
an 8 ppg guy, along with 8 for Egbunu (going all Fullwoody).

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
along with 8 for Egbunu

Seriously about a guy who scored 27 against UK last year, a guy who score 22 against LSU, a guy who scored 19 against Purdue? A guy who has battle back from a thumb injury and then a hamstring injury on top of it?

Why not give the guy some credit for what he has done at UF and for battling through injuries and even playing with essentially one hand after he hurt his thumb last year. Why not appreciate that he does not play with Wilbekin or J. Will or Green and does not often get passed the ball in good position.

Sure he has struggled this year. But he is battling through injury, is never the less averaging .7 more rebounds per game and may well be a big offensive contributor again before the year is out.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Big deal, you're right, Insti. I have forgotten about his setbacks. I just look at his height, the height of his jumps
and expect Egbunu to be a leader on this team.? Do you really think his residuals from his thumb injury is
causing his in-so-close shots to clang-off the rim?
But if you are going to take an attitude, then I'll back off him some. :oops:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Big deal, you're right, Insti. I have forgotten about his setbacks. I just look at his height, the height of his jumps and expect Egbunu to be a leader on this team.? Do you really think his residuals from his thumb injury is causing his in-so-close shots to clang-off the rim?

But if you are going to take an attitude, then I'll back off him some. :oops:

I have to rein myself in too sometimes when it comes to Egbunu. I do not know if his thumb injury is still hampering him or if his hamstring is hurting him, but I do know when something alters your shot, even when you mainly take close in shots, you can struggle shooting. And if it is his hamstring problem, you pretty much shoot with your legs in basketball. I just remember he has had great games and he has had injuries and I hope he bounces back soon.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have to rein myself in too sometimes when it comes to Egbunu. I do not know if his thumb injury is still hampering him or if his hamstring is hurting him, but I do know when something alters your shot, even when you mainly take close in shots, you can struggle shooting. And if it is his hamstring problem, you pretty much shoot with your legs in basketball. I just remember he has had great games and he has had injuries and I hope he bounces back soon.

Doesn't seem to bother his wide open dunks....

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I'm not sure how much of it is impacting his jump hook, but he has been off on that. I'm glad he has the confidence to take it, just want to see it go in.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have to rein myself in too sometimes when it comes to Egbunu. .

No prob Insti. If we were competing on a game show, the host would give you the points. After all you are
defending the home team.
Man, how much trouble could we give teams if inside-man Egbunu were scoring 16-20 ppg?
I'm puzzled: can (does) basketball have advisors and assistants like football. If so find somebody
6'10" who was agile in his recent college days. Heck, go find a street-ball big-man flash and have him in to
teach Egbunu. Just repeating 1 on 1 drills should soak in some skills.

We had a H.S. basketball coach about 6'9" back in '62. He got every player cheap sunglasses that he'd
cut off the upper half of the lens so that they would practice dribbling looking at the spread on the court, not
down at the floor. Everybody improved - ( not me, I was the first he order to another sport). He sought out a
regular student who had a trampoline in his back yard driveway. He put an extension on the goal-pole, leveled
the rim at the comparable jump height and had the inside men, F & C, bounce on the tramp and shoot baskets.
Of course their limited tramp skills put their bodies in odd off balanced positions. They became better shooters.
Although we were the newest school in The Gateway Conference that team went 24-6.
Coach Conkle had toured as an opponent of the Harlem Globetrotters. He said back then the less than famous
Globetrotters were an event paired with the touring professional wrestlers = weird stories, carnival-like.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I was thinking about this too the other day. As soon as NSD passes on Wednesday, it really is the start of the run up to fall basketball signings for the 2018 class. Here is Scout's list for UF:

http://www.scout.com/college/basket...RecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue

I like Scout as they guess about positions. Seems a bit light on bigs in my view.

A class of Weaver, Jones, Moore, De Sousa and Brown is probably a pipe dream, but would be great. I do not really even know how many UF will be in a position to sign yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator