Better or worse if Chimp had been kept?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We're better off. We got the facilities we needed. And the recruiting has been relatively better balanced. The defense is for sure lacking but it is not a straight disaster like the offense was under Muschamp.

A new coach could come in and bring in a couple transfers and win immediately.

BTW I still think Mac could do it but not with Nuss as his OC. And if he elects to die on that hill with Nuss then he deserves to get canned.

This is where I am right now too. It's Mac's responsibility. We can all see Nuss is terrible. If Mac won't act, it's on him.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I
This keeps getting parroted but it just isnt true. Compare the rosters and classes. People are discounting say Chimp's class w the five wRs (DRob, fulton, Worton, etc) who were supposed to save the program but credits Mac's receiver class who havent done anything w saving the program. I will believe when I see it.

QBs, no different. Chimp landed two fours stars. Butters landed one.

OL- Better numbers with Butters but more bluechippers w Chimp. Of ciurse, neither produced a decent line but Id argue that at least occasionally were effective at runblocking under Chimp.

RBs more depth for Butters but so far none have been effective.

It is certainly arguable that Chimp recruited just as well if not ever so slightly better, which so far is evident in the stats (terrible, but Butters slightly worse).

The only thing that chump Recruited markedly better than Mac is that he has gotten enough bodies for the OL. But that's it.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
He is a better Head Coach today than he was when he was here.

Would he have been able to turn the ship around here? I dunno.

Alex.
I think not. I think in large part he was able to enlarge his thinking to include an offense because he was exited from here because of lack of offense. I don't think he changed his mind right away either, but by the time he left Auburn. He must have convinced Roper he would back off, which didn't surprise me, but his change of actually allowing an offense, did indeed surprise me.

Perhaps in part it was helped along by seeing Saban be flexible enough to change his offensive approach.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ask me Sunday (if we play Saturday). Chump lost to a minor league team. As long as Mac doesn't do that, he's still ahead.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
We'd be worse off if we had kept chump. It would've just continued downhill from where he was when he left. We had a small shot of life with a new coach. Mac also got enough OL to actually play football. If chump had stayed we'd have absolutely no Offensive lineman left.
Bottom line is Foley was clearly terrible at picking football coaches. We need to go shopping again. This program is easily a top 10 program annually if we have a decent coach.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
We're better off. We got the facilities we needed. And the recruiting has been relatively better balanced. The defense is for sure lacking but it is not a straight disaster like the offense was under Muschamp.

A new coach could come in and bring in a couple transfers and win immediately.

BTW I still think Mac could do it but not with Nuss as his OC. And if he elects to die on that hill with Nuss then he deserves to get canned.
This roster is garbage! Mac sucks at recruiting. I guess, technically it's more balanced, but it's also less talented.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
If Muschamp were still here we would be well on the way to being a dead program like Nebraska, Mac certainly hasn't worked out but keeping Muschamp around would have been a giant "We give up" sign, the SEC would move to kick us out.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
way to being a dead program like Nebraska, Mac certainly hasn't worked out but keeping Muschamp around would have been a giant "We give up" sign, the SEC would move to kick us out.

It is hard to say. Muschamp might have pulled in a better class and if he could have kept getting top recruits then we might have been in a better situation, but he also had been horrible with roster management. In reality neither option is right for Florida football.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is hard to say. Muschamp might have pulled in a better class and if he could have kept getting top recruits then we might have been in a better situation, but he also had been horrible with roster management. In reality neither option is right for Florida football.

^ It appears we have a winner

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
We would be worse off with Muschamp. He wasn't going to change while here. he changed because he got fired and was considered toxic.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This keeps getting parroted but it just isnt true. Compare the rosters and classes. People are discounting say Chimp's class w the five wRs (DRob, fulton, Worton, etc) who were supposed to save the program but credits Mac's receiver class who havent done anything w saving the program. I will believe when I see it.

QBs, no different. Chimp landed two fours stars. Butters landed one.

OL- Better numbers with Butters but more bluechippers w Chimp. Of ciurse, neither produced a decent line but Id argue that at least occasionally were effective at runblocking under Chimp.

RBs more depth for Butters but so far none have been effective.

It is certainly arguable that Chimp recruited just as well if not ever so slightly better, which so far is evident in the stats (terrible, but Butters slightly worse).
Yeah on paper some of the offensive classes chump put together were not bad but he still left gaping holes at oline and clearly misjudged talent as most of the offensive players were complete busts and lot left the program early to transfer...not just the QB. Now there were some OL that sustained career ending injuries early on and he can't be at fault for that. Long story short they both suck at recruiting, developing, and coaching

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah on paper some of the offensive classes chump put together were not bad but he still left gaping holes at oline and clearly misjudged talent as most of the offensive players were complete busts and lot left the program early to transfer...not just the QB. Now there were some OL that sustained career ending injuries early on and he can't be at fault for that. Long story short they both suck at recruiting, developing, and coaching

you mean the leading receiver who became a DB as soon as he entered the league. Didn't he have the records for both most consecutive games with a catch and most consecutive games with a drop.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If not for Muschamp's stellar recruiting on defense, we're probably not even be having his discussion. Mac would already be on his way out.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If not for Muschamp's stellar recruiting on defense, we're probably not even having his discussion. Mac would already be on his way out.

quite possible

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Agree with most of this, but I think that Roper might, in time, have done more with the offense than we are conceding. Also, does Chimp still turn purple when something upsets him?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with most of this, but I think that Roper might, in time, have done more with the offense than we are conceding. Also, does Chimp still turn purple when something upsets him?

We were Roper's first Full time OC position, he was split time before us. It appears he is pretty decent, but I think Muschamp needed to be fired to wake up and be hands off the coordinator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.