Billy Donovan reconsidering NBA?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If he goes to Orlando we should just hire an interim head coach. Nobody last in Orlando, that franchise will never put the players outthere a coach needs

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n195617 said:
If he goes to Orlando we should just hire an interim head coach. Nobody last in Orlando, that franchise will never put the players outthere a coach needs

:headscratch:
Umm they have had plenty of talent, just terrible coaches, and a previous management that created terrible contracts for hasbeen players.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There's a rumor that Donovan's just graduated HS son is enrolled to attend UF. ??
Big D stays.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n195619 said:
:headscratch:
Umm they have had plenty of talent, just terrible coaches, and a previous management that created terrible contracts for hasbeen players.
They always lose their franchise players to major markets. They'll lose oladipo in a few years.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n195530 said:
I'd also like to say that shaka has done a phenomenal job and keeps that roster pretty loaded with talent. He's also maintained success there, I'd definitely be behind if donnavan left. But I'd proceed with caution

Ah ok i gotcha, sorry i thought you were talking about the current situation.

Regarding past assistants, you also have to keep in mind where they went. Grant went to Bama an obvious football school (more so than us id say) that can't attract much talent, and Jones is at UCF which is also void of any real talent. I think at a place like UF, Shaka could still attract a lot more talent than those other places.

But lets hope we don't have to worry about this and Donovan stays put!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n195701 said:
They always lose their franchise players to major markets. They'll lose oladipo in a few years.

Yea that tends to happen when you have a crappy coach. While Orlando is not LA or NY, it's not a small market. The current management is making much smarter moves these days. They really just need a quality coach to complete the puzzle.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n195723 said:
Yea that tends to happen when you have a crappy coach. While Orlando is not LA or NY, it's not a small market. The current management is making much smarter moves these days. They really just need a quality coach to complete the puzzle.
I'll give them credit for making out ahead on the Dwight Howard trade. Howard's injury prone and a shell of what he used to be and the magic are cashing in on draft picks. But my original comment was based on their failure to put a decent team around mcgrady or Howard

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n195725 said:
I'll give them credit for making out ahead on the Dwight Howard trade. Howard's injury prone and a shell of what he used to be and the magic are cashing in on draft picks. But my original comment was based on their failure to put a decent team around mcgrady or Howard
Like I said, different management, for instance one of them during the time frame you speak of was a hockey guy, though I don't recall his name.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Billy is stuck between the 2 systems. He's probably tired of the recruiting bs that he has to annually endure. Above all, Billy likes to coach and develop players. With their ego's, how many NBA players will listen and learn from him, excepting a rookie-type team?

Hope he stays - for him and UF.

If not, UF can go after Marshall, Smart or Miller at UD. They're all great material.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any chance that Brad Stevens could leave the Celtics to come be our HC if Billy leaves?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n195873 said:
Any chance that Brad Stevens could leave the Celtics to come be our HC if Billy leaves?

I would support this hire...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;195873 said:

The Celtics thinking about canning him already?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n195905 said:

Doubt it, but maybe he doesn't care for the NBA. So he quits and comes back to college. :dunno:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n195873 said:
I doubt any coach leaves one of the most prestigious nba jobs to coach our squad

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n195911 said:
I doubt any coach leaves one of the most prestigious nba jobs to coach our squad

Petino left the Celtics to coach Louisville.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Petino also sexed up a waitress. He may be a great coach, but decision making may have room for improvement.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If Billy wants to go to the NBA then it certainly is his perogative and I won't hold it against him. Obviously I would prefer he stays at UF until he s ready to retire, but if he has the desire to try his coaching skill at the next level... I get that.

I think it will be a mistake and I think he will end up coming back to college... like Pitiino and possibly coaching at another SEC school (like Spurrier) which would be painful to watch.

Billy is the best coach we have ever had at the University of Florida and he is a legend today if he stays or if he goes..., but if he stays... his legend can only grow :-)

Here is to hoping he stays, but I do think at some point he goes to the NBA... I hope we hire Shaka.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
NoGaGator;n195813 said:
If not, UF can go after Marshall, Smart or Miller at UD. They're all great material.

If Donovan decides to split, that's a solid pool of candidates and I believe all would have success at UF. Marshall is about 15 years older than Smart and Miller so I would go with Smart or Miller.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n195905 said:

No. the Celtics love what Brad Stevens is doing up here. To take a bunch of nobodies, get them to play together, play hard and be in contention for a playoff berth when expected to be in full-on tankapalooza mode has gotten the fan base up here very excited about the future with Stevens. I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator