cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanx for the insight, Cover2.
Thank you Lake!

Until last night I was part of the gang that never wanted LDRio to see the field again. Weak arm, playing injured, etc. I've changed my mind. I agree strong-arm Franks didn't play so poorly he deserved the pull but it was the right decision. Douglas78 pointed out in another post, "Everything looked quicker, crisper, tighter with him in command. You'd have to be blind not to see the difference behind Del Rio." I agree. No question the offensive tempo step-changed upward. His supporting cast did most of the heavy lifting I understand. But he looked healthy, decisive and executed well, interception not withstanding. Yes, his arm is weaker than Franks but appears quite adequate. Going forward he'll be a game manager who distributes the ball to playmakers ala Toney, Davis, Cleveland, Powell.
Again, glad we won, and LDR was in there for it. If he winds up being the guy, I hope he stays healthy and the other units keep improving. Arkansas last year and Mac not pulling him sticks in my mind for some reason ;)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thank you C2. As usual A great post to go with my morning coffee.
Thank you sir!
Agree on the DB getting lost on occasions. Each team had TD's due ro blown coverages. Their TD were more scheme that confused us. On the LB, I just don't know. If we had more safeties I would play extra ends and safeties, but we are out of them too. Poor recruiting or player development.

Powell, my favorite smurf. He always plays balls out. His sweep for a first down was a horrible play call and just like several of Davis' runs, all personal effort as it was smoked otherwise.

Davis, DAVIS, nuff said. Hits quicker with better vision .

Toney, what happened to him at the end? Trusted powell and not him? The wildcat needs to be a staple for a bit with a fullback. And Cleveland needs to work at getting up to speed faster. If he is our fastest guy he needs to show it.

OL, thought they blocked better straight ahead. I think when we run sidelines, they and the TE cannot get on their blocks fast enough and it gets blown up. I believe Thompson had nice blocks on two TD runs. Maybe he is good at run blocking.

Playcalling..WR screen U, argh..say it ain't so. Middle slant to Powell, running sweeps when you are gashing up the middle. Now someone did say that the both noticed Ky was having trouble lining up when we went unbalanced, if that helped create our two td passes, kudos! Speedy guys always running to short side..now we did have the WR pass and a few others, but 2nd down and ten = run. I would love to see a chart of Nuss' tendencies. Other than if it succeeds don't go back to it.

LDR for whatever reason, the O settled down with Luke and they got in somewhat of a rhythm, even if it required several fourth downs and ky stopped bringing the heat.

ST, thank you Johnny! Now I almost broke my tv on punt coverages, they need more effort and better players in there.

Go Gators and can we please just habe an easy win this Sat. If not I might need nitro and not bourbon
Nothing to disagree with. Solid post!

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Again, glad we won, and LDR was in there for it. If he winds up being the guy, I hope he stays healthy and the other units keep improving. Arkansas last year and Mac not pulling him sticks in my mind for some reason ;)

That Arkansas game remains a head-scratcher for sure. That LDR looked entirely different from what I saw last night. Like Al Davis said, "Just win, baby!"

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You consider Kintucky forgetting to play a CB twice a product of Butters and Nhsschumps superior coaching?

“Every touchdown they had was a missed assignment,” Kentucky linebacker Eli Brown said. “They didn’t earn a touchdown they had.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That Arkansas game remains a head-scratcher for sure. That LDR looked entirely different from what I saw last night. Like Al Davis said, "Just win, baby!"

We were playing essentially a hurry-up, 2-minute type offense.....that's why he "looked different". When we go back to our usual first half offense, LDR and the offense will return to what you're used to seeing it. And LDR (or whoever the QB is) will be at risk of injury because they'll get tee'd off on by DL's and LB's, as our OL will return to it's usual self.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
We were playing essentially a hurry-up, 2-minute type offense.....that's why he "looked different". When we go back to our usual first half offense, LDR and the offense will return to what you're used to seeing it. And LDR (or whoever the QB is) will be at risk of injury because they'll get tee'd off on by DL's and LB's, as our OL will return to it's usual self.

Thanx for the heads up.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
“Every touchdown they had was a missed assignment,” Kentucky linebacker Eli Brown said. “They didn’t earn a touchdown they had.”

That's a crock of shyt. For sure the coaches didn't earn it. But Cleveland waving his arms for Franks to see it and Franks pulling the ball away from the RB and hitting Cleveland was a great play.

Same with the second TD.

Great plays by the players. They overcame the coaching.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe we use that gap-time when HCs cross the field to shake hands and blah-blah to have Spurrier send down his smart-phone recorded post-game comment for Mac to play while that duct tape is over his mouth. No coercing CFB-host to nod to "That's what life's all about." concerning a stumbly back & forth last minute cliff-hanger with a lesser opponent.

Play-schemewise, Nuss still disaster, just now, in Davis, he's got an RB who seemingly can get gains through the "geodesic-dome bodies" of the stacked box.?? Still, how many teams & times can he do that? Better work Toney's variety in there to help. Heck, start practicing Toney to be the "change of pace" Franks replacement, not LDR. I fear his noodle-arm will kill us with more INTs. His throws are less YPC than rookie lesser-trained, more poorly trained Franks.

Still think Franks should start vs Vandy. We didn't get the Davis run-game to help make pass rush hesitate vs Franks.
Finally saw Dre Massey on KOs?? We gotta get more #s of functional LBs.

Again non-progress of survive not thrive. I like our talent, not our coaches..

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
C2, I think the QB switch was correct and justified, regardless of the result and here is why. I know Franks is young, but everything is 1st read, quick throw, whether it is sideways or a quick hitch. If that is not available, the play is practically over. Even I could see a difference with LDR, as he let most of the pass plays develop. which Franks has not done. That small difference does allow for a truer play action game. And yes he made a play to Thompson across his body, but it was 4th down, and on 4th down that is okay. But I hate those sprint outs where in essence, 80% of the field is cut off. I still think we need more passes to the RB's as primary receivers, not just check downs. With LDR we stand a small chance of getting defenses confused, just like we poorly played that 4th down conversion by KY on the last drive. There was zero need to step up for the guy who was faking the tunnel screen. It was 4th and 10, so that underneath throw does not net a first down unless the WR makes a play with his feet, the way Powell did for us. BTW, that catch, move and run by Powell WAS the Play of the Game!

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

What a doofus Brown is. He needs to talk to Toney and Powell. If Kintuck wants to make it easy for opponents to score, that's their business. It's like the Feds handing out free money...most folks will pocket without so much as a thank you.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
giphy.gif
It's funny that you posted that. I was thinking that Del Rio looks like him last night.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the weekly insight C2. I agree with your luck assessment. Kentucky handed us the game. They were the better team. Their DC should be fired on the spot. That was pop warner garbage out there. LDR is your starter btw. He'll beat Vandy then get rocked against LSU, A&M and UGA. If you're Franks, do you stay?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The loss of Houston and Miller because of the suspensions is really hurting our LB depth. Yeah... they would have been green, but they would be getting better from playing time and practice and they aren’t getting either of those right now... really frustrating!

Shannon doesn’t blitz a lot. Never has, never will. He will do it on occasion, but he believes in bringing pressure with front 4. Lives and dies by it too much imo, but the D did settle down and make plays so I give them credit

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
It was unlucky that Cleveland turned the wrong way on the deep ball thrown his way in the first half. It was also unlucky that CJ Henderson didnt get the interception and instead knocked the ball down in the 4th. It was also unlucky that Franks didnt see a wide open Massey last week or was that luck that Tenn missed an assignment? Also unlucky that LDR threw that pick....

Players still got to play. I've seen plenty of QB's miss wide open players and players drop balls while surrounded by no-one. If you claim everything positive solely occurred because of luck, then you have to accept that everything negative also occurred because of being unlucky.

I think its fair to be critical of how well the coaches prepared the players and how well they adjusted. And, yes, the coaching staff still seems to be if not failing, being mediocre in this category, but they do appear to be doing the bare minimum to eke out these wins, I disagree that they are lucky. The body of evidence says the coaching staff does just enough to win against teams that they are evenly matched and not enough against teams that are better than them.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It was unlucky that Cleveland turned the wrong way on the deep ball thrown his way in the first half. It was also unlucky that CJ Henderson didnt get the interception and instead knocked the ball down in the 4th. It was also unlucky that Franks didnt see a wide open Massey last week or was that luck that Tenn missed an assignment? Also unlucky that LDR threw that pick....

Players still got to play. I've seen plenty of QB's miss wide open players and players drop balls while surrounded by no-one. If you claim everything positive solely occurred because of luck, then you have to accept that everything negative also occurred because of being unlucky.

I think its fair to be critical of how well the coaches prepared the players and how well they adjusted. And, yes, the coaching staff still seems to be if not failing, being mediocre in this category, but they do appear to be doing the bare minimum to eke out these wins, I disagree that they are lucky. The body of evidence says the coaching staff does just enough to win against teams that they are evenly matched and not enough against teams that are better than them.

That's great and all..but is it acceptable to you? Do you think Mac is the guy to bring an SEC title to UF?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

That's a garbage quote from a sore loser. I'm not defending our coaches, or denying the two obvious missed assignments. But you could argue that virtually any time a team scores, it's because the defense failed to properly carry out their assignment. And if your team is so distracted or focused on stopping something else that they completely forget to have a corner on a WR, then it's safe to say the opponent has gotten in your head. Football is a 4 quarter game. Uk failed to play well enough throughout the entire contest to get it done, and UF made enough plays to pull out an ugly win. That simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator