Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We were lucky we were playing Kentucky. If any team can play with ineptitude it is Kentucky. If you don't think luck played a part in our win then you're crazy. I'll take the win. But nobody really feels good about this win. It is the same old I see some bright spots here and some bright spots there.

How does a team that has lost to an opponent 30 times in a row, who finally has a pretty good chance to win, not line up to cover a receiver, doesnt even know he's out there wide open? Easy touchdown. Not once, but twice! That's Kentucky for you.

Luke Del Rio knows how to run the offense better than Franks. He sees the field and the game is slower for him. He's a game manager who can distribute the ball to the running backs and throw screen passes. But you can't be a good game manager and continue to throw interceptions. And he can't run. He's no Jalen Hurts, a game manager AND a playmaker.

On LDR's first series against Kentucky he threw an interception. I was rolling in the floor LMAO because I knew that was going to happen. He throws floaters that look like blimps . Inept Kentucky could not capitalize on their interception.

To hear LDR tell it the story will be that he brought us back from defeat to pull out a win against an undefeated team in a hostile environment. If Alabama had gone into Lexington last night they would have steamrolled Kentucky just like they did Vanderbilt.

We are lucky all right. We are lucky we weren't playing Alabama.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
This has to be our weakest schedule in 50 years.
Thanx for the insight, Cover2.

Until last night I was part of the gang that never wanted LDRio to see the field again. Weak arm, playing injured, etc. I've changed my mind. I agree strong-arm Franks didn't play so poorly he deserved the pull but it was the right decision. Douglas78 pointed out in another post, "Everything looked quicker, crisper, tighter with him in command. You'd have to be blind not to see the difference behind Del Rio." I agree. No question the offensive tempo step-changed upward. His supporting cast did most of the heavy lifting I understand. But he looked healthy, decisive and executed well, interception not withstanding. Yes, his arm is weaker than Franks but appears quite adequate. Going forward he'll be a game manager who distributes the ball to playmakers ala Toney, Davis, Cleveland, Powell.
giphy.gif

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
C2, I think the QB switch was correct and justified, regardless of the result and here is why. I know Franks is young, but everything is 1st read, quick throw, whether it is sideways or a quick hitch. If that is not available, the play is practically over. Even I could see a difference with LDR, as he let most of the pass plays develop. which Franks has not done. That small difference does allow for a truer play action game. And yes he made a play to Thompson across his body, but it was 4th down, and on 4th down that is okay. But I hate those sprint outs where in essence, 80% of the field is cut off. I still think we need more passes to the RB's as primary receivers, not just check downs. With LDR we stand a small chance of getting defenses confused, just like we poorly played that 4th down conversion by KY on the last drive. There was zero need to step up for the guy who was faking the tunnel screen. It was 4th and 10, so that underneath throw does not net a first down unless the WR makes a play with his feet, the way Powell did for us. BTW, that catch, move and run by Powell WAS the Play of the Game!
Here's where I'm coming from. If we're ever going to develop an actual recruited QB, he needs to be coached up in game as well as practice. Allow him a little longer to progress in that atmosphere. Truthfully, I'd have probably been ok with a change at the quarter if things didn't pick up. You're not only developing the physical and mental aspects with a youngster, you're also developing his spirit. I just think we're falling short with him in all three. To his credit, and I'm reposting here, but he deserves some applause for not retiring to the bench. Instead he stayed amongst his teammates and looked to be still leading. Just my take. And BTW back atcha...I agree about Powell's play!

Thanks for the weekly insight C2. I agree with your luck assessment. Kentucky handed us the game. They were the better team. Their DC should be fired on the spot. That was pop warner garbage out there. LDR is your starter btw. He'll beat Vandy then get rocked against LSU, A&M and UGA. If you're Franks, do you stay?
Thank you, Rex! Anything's possible, but I'm feeling kinda like you moving forward. It's high time for us to start looking a little more seasoned, but I'm not sure when we'll see it and more consistent play throughout all the team's units.

It was unlucky that Cleveland turned the wrong way on the deep ball thrown his way in the first half. It was also unlucky that CJ Henderson didnt get the interception and instead knocked the ball down in the 4th. It was also unlucky that Franks didnt see a wide open Massey last week or was that luck that Tenn missed an assignment? Also unlucky that LDR threw that pick....

Players still got to play. I've seen plenty of QB's miss wide open players and players drop balls while surrounded by no-one. If you claim everything positive solely occurred because of luck, then you have to accept that everything negative also occurred because of being unlucky.

I think its fair to be critical of how well the coaches prepared the players and how well they adjusted. And, yes, the coaching staff still seems to be if not failing, being mediocre in this category, but they do appear to be doing the bare minimum to eke out these wins, I disagree that they are lucky. The body of evidence says the coaching staff does just enough to win against teams that they are evenly matched and not enough against teams that are better than them.
Everything? No, I believe I gave some credit for some things we did well that didn't require luck. But I stand by an earlier assertion that we cannot continue to depend on it when we play better teams. At some point we are going to have to execute on a more consistent basis and be fundamentally sound in all phases. We are far away from that right now, despite making a few strides last evening. Our weaknesses are glaring and Eddie Gran exposed some of them for those who cared to notice. Again, I'm glad for the win, but our play must improve. I agree with your last paragraph. It is good right now that the majority of the SEC East resembles the Ivy League (no disrespect to those nor'easterners).

We were lucky we were playing Kentucky. If any team can play with ineptitude it is Kentucky. If you don't think luck played a part in our win then you're crazy. I'll take the win. But nobody really feels good about this win. It is the same old I see some bright spots here and some bright spots there.

How does a team that has lost to an opponent 30 times in a row, who finally has a pretty good chance to win, not line up to cover a receiver, doesnt even know he's out there wide open? Easy touchdown. Not once, but twice! That's Kentucky for you.

Luke Del Rio knows how to run the offense better than Franks. He sees the field and the game is slower for him. He's a game manager who can distribute the ball to the running backs and throw screen passes. But you can't be a good game manager and continue to throw interceptions. And he can't run. He's no Jalen Hurts, a game manager AND a playmaker.

On LDR's first series against Kentucky he threw an interception. I was rolling in the floor LMAO because I knew that was going to happen. He throws floaters that look like blimps . Inept Kentucky could not capitalize on their interception.

To hear LDR tell it the story will be that he brought us back from defeat to pull out a win against an undefeated team in a hostile environment. If Alabama had gone into Lexington last night they would have steamrolled Kentucky just like they did Vanderbilt.

We were lucky all right. We are lucky we weren't playing Alabama.
Nailed it, Joe. At least from where I'm sitting.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Should have put this in the OP, but I'll insert it here. Recruit Dameon Pierce rushed for 203 yards and 4 TDs in the Bainbridge Bearcat's 51-0 win over the Sarasota High School Sailors. Pierce also passed the 1,000 yard mark for the season after only four games. One of his scores was on a beautiful 60 yard run. He puts me in mind of Emmitt a little bit with his deft cuts, lower body strength, and his game speed.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Kentucky always finds a way to lose. That isn't saying much, though. We could just as easily be 0-3. It is disturbing that this team is not playing fundamental football (now on both sides of the ball). That shouldn't take three years to correct. I agree with what I'm reading, unpopular as it is, that LDR is (and, upon reflection, should have been) the QB going forward.

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Last minutes of the game:

Me: That's it. The coaches are idiots. We're done. I'm leaving. I can't stand anymore.
Son: We'll win. It's the Kentucky curse. They'll find a way to lose.
Me: Eye Roll
Gators: TD to a totally uncovered receiver. The curse?
Me: I'll be damned.
Me: Back to reality. I can't believe there are over 40 seconds left and Mac is smiling. Has he never heard of a field goal. I'm leaving
Son: Kentucky curse.
KY: Drives for a close-in field goal
Me: Damn it I'm out of here.
Son: Wait for the curse
KY: Penalty and missed field goal

Don't you hate it when your son is right and you're wrong?

Last edited:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
“Every touchdown they had was a missed assignment,” Kentucky linebacker Eli Brown said. “They didn’t earn a touchdown they had.”
Sucks for them that we managed four of them... and 4 TD's = 28 points.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
*We have a feature back that has emerged. Malik Davis is now the guy. He hits the hole faster than his group mates. He runs with a lot of vision and effort. His 3rd down run where he spun out of a tackle and made the first was a testament to his desire. Very pleased to see him doing what he's doing. Safe to say he also was able to turn the page on his fumble. Good sign.

Maybe I'm reaching for hope among the coaching staff, but I was wondering why Perine and Thompson virtually disappeared for the second half. Thompson made a good kick out block on Toney's TD, but neither had fumbled, or played noticeably poorly up to that point. Yes, they weren't game changers, but I didn't see reason for them to become invisible. Unless....unless, in the effort to ensure Davis got a few touches they found him to be producing better, and the coaches 'went with the hot hand' in this case? I don't know, and like I said, maybe I'm reaching for some sign of intelligence among the staff...some sense of adjustment in choosing to go with Davis for the second half.

The kid is good, especially as a true freshman. So I don't have an issue with it compared to the run game Perine and Thompson put out to that point. Just help me here - are the coaches dumb lucking into Davis all the time? Was there an injury to Perine and/or Thompson, or significant issues with them that I missed which would cause them to be sidelined? Maybe Coach Sider is the one managing the RBs and who plays more and he's actively managing the 'hot hand'?

*Speaking of Toney, is the kid not a player? Great with the ball in his hands in space, can catch and his Wildcat play was outstanding. Now we know he can throw it to boot. All he needs is more touches. What happened to him at the end of the game? Was he hurt? Sure thought we'd see the ball in his hands some way. Glad we didn't need it.

Second game in a row where he comes away with about six touches and all the talking heads are saying it should be sixteen. Again, I'm looking for a hint of in-game management and asking why he also disappeared for the second half. It just doesn't make sense, unless KY started keying on him, which is possible but I really doubt it.

*Give Brandon Powell some props. The kid always gives you a great effort. Tonight, he made several great plays. Take away his OB on his wheel route and he might be our POTG. He's also obviously a great kid. Glad to see him make some really good things happen. And did you see his catch on the back foot ballon from LDR?!

Always. Kid has ALWAYS given all he has, done anything asked of him. May not have NFL talent, but has an ALL GATOR heart. I'm happy to have him on the team to set that example for the younger guys.

*I didn't think Frank's was bad enough to get yanked. My opinion, but what do I know. The commentators said the change was to give us a spark. I say debatable at best. But we win with LDR in there and I've got to give him credit on the scramble and dump to Thompson for the first down. Even threw across his body back to the middle of the field. Better play than his TD toss to an uncovered Swain. Still...

I put Franks in the same basket with Perine/Thompson - adequate, but not stellar. Not the game changer. Like everyone else, I cringed when LDR went out there, and promptly threw the INT. However, my takeaways on the QB situation is that Franks is still developing, but his mindset remains solid. It isn't getting to him, that I can see, when he's replaced. He's still out there cheering everyone on and talking them up when they are within earshot. I like the kid, a lot. LDR...I'm still not sold on, but he did throw a decent deep ball for Cleveland in double coverage...it could have been better thrown, and perhaps NOT to double coverage, but he showed the noodle arm can create a deeper threat when needed, so I like that.

Going forward, I think the staff are still wanting to lean on Franks to develop him as THE GUY. I believe LDR remains QB2 for the season while Malik just wasted a transfer. Next game against Vandy, and games that follow, I don't know if the staff start FF and relieve him with LDR when the change up is needed, or if they start LDR and get FF his playing experience in Q3 and Q4. I don't know what they'll do (who does with these guys?).

*Second and long, we will always run it. We are WR Screen U offensively. But the QBs were at least looking downfield midfield some more than usual, but seemingly no open receivers the majority of the time. Poor design or can we just not get open consistently?

I'll come back to the same question that is nagging me throughout this post - is our staff showing signs of intelligence or not? We were 2nd or 3rd and long several times and I called the run play.....and then it wasn't called. We broke predictability a bit, but were rewarded with poor execution like the kids weren't sure we meant to NOT call another run. I'm fuzzy on this one - never been a coach, nor played organized football. But from an idiot's perspective it seemed we tried to break pattern a bit, which I'll take as a positive....but we still aren't executing well. Like you say, poor design, or are the kids not able to run the play effectively? I don't know, but would appreciate insight from those more knowing on this type of stuff.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Who is the leader on Defense?

I believe the position is still open. Are you interested in applying?

I could see CeeCee or Polite doing it, as they seem aggressive enough. Though, we appear to have relied on DBs to be the leaders for the past several years - they are the highlight reels, so they have the right? But the backfield is mostly young now. I can see Wilson and perhaps Henderson stepping into the role later, but right now there isn't any real leaders on that side of the ball. Best case I can offer is Dawson, but he doesn't seem to open his mouth - he just wants to do his job, lead by example and hope others follow, which won't work with this young squad.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Cardiac kids, again. We had this game lost, then won, then lost by allowing KY to drive to the 25, then won with a lucky holding call that put their kicker 3 yards out of range at 57 yards. That kick would have been good from 52.
The narrative was our guy was tackled. He aint tackled he pressures and that pass dont happen. Lucky aint in the cards there.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Pumper (my mo along with lib and moron and clueless among others) here. We have some very good players.......dont care if they were 2 or 3*s. We have players. I think we use them pretty well on Def, especially to mask our depth problems and lack of size inside. When Shannon gets depth and the bigguns inside we will be the Fla def we should be and can be. Offensively we are all oer the gdmmd place. Our WRs seem to struggle getting separation. A pass over 12 yards is a miracle. We are predictable because we dont use some passes or runs to set up other passes. I am ready and for a Off Coord. change. We have the talent to do much better. We may not still have the QB we need but I see WRs covered where we pass to. I should have watched the WRs closer at the UT game. I see them occasionally open on routes but then I guess the QB need to scan better. I saw FF just stare at one WR and almost got it pickd..............Im on board with a new offensive coach now but I dont need to talk nasty about it and do it times 10000
game observations...............Brandon Powell is a great kid and produces. The new RB seems like the real deal and had a fantastic game for one so young. LDR came in and did a great job and led us to a very improbable win. Get Toney the ball now.............we need much better punt coverage.
I love how our team and def does not quit and wins despite when it seems all is lost..

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Still confused by the personnel decisions, too. Maybe I missed something, but Perine's first two carries were for 8-10 yds each. Why did he disappear after that?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Still confused by the personnel decisions, too. Maybe I missed something, but Perine's first two carries were for 8-10 yds each. Why did he disappear after that?

Perine's runs were fine but my guess is they wanted to get all 3 RB's touches early in the game. Then as the game ebbed and we went pass heavy in the middle of the game I am assuming that the thought process was "well none of our RB's can pick up blitzes or block anyone in pass protection, so let's go with the guy who if we dump him the ball can possibly break it". then when we went back to more balance, I presume they stuck with Davis for his ability to possibly bust one. My only concern with Davis last nite was Butters loves to ride the hot back, but sometimes he goes one snap too many and our guy will be gassed and something bad will happen. I saw that happen last year on more than one occasion with Scarlet when he was gassed. although they did sub in Perine and Thompson late for a carry.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I'm reaching for hope among the coaching staff, but I was wondering why Perine and Thompson virtually disappeared for the second half. Thompson made a good kick out block on Toney's TD, but neither had fumbled, or played noticeably poorly up to that point. Yes, they weren't game changers, but I didn't see reason for them to become invisible. Unless....unless, in the effort to ensure Davis got a few touches they found him to be producing better, and the coaches 'went with the hot hand' in this case? I don't know, and like I said, maybe I'm reaching for some sign of intelligence among the staff...some sense of adjustment in choosing to go with Davis for the second half.

The kid is good, especially as a true freshman. So I don't have an issue with it compared to the run game Perine and Thompson put out to that point. Just help me here - are the coaches dumb lucking into Davis all the time? Was there an injury to Perine and/or Thompson, or significant issues with them that I missed which would cause them to be sidelined? Maybe Coach Sider is the one managing the RBs and who plays more and he's actively managing the 'hot hand'?
Confusing, I agree. Not like the committee approach we've seen. I ve no problem as long as the kid totes it like he did. I will say Thompson has had some good carries and has made some blocks on run plays, which is better than previous. Good decision based on the results.

Second game in a row where he comes away with about six touches and all the talking heads are saying it should be sixteen. Again, I'm looking for a hint of in-game management and asking why he also disappeared for the second half. It just doesn't make sense, unless KY started keying on him, which is possible but I really doubt it.
I believe he needs to touch it more. Get the ball in your playmaker's hands. Create mismatches with your play designs based on your scouting reports. I still don't know where he was late in the game. If he wasn't injured, I'd think he would have been involved.

Always. Kid has ALWAYS given all he has, done anything asked of him. May not have NFL talent, but has an ALL GATOR heart. I'm happy to have him on the team to set that example for the younger guys.
One of my favorites. Agreed, he is a positive role model for the youngsters.

I put Franks in the same basket with Perine/Thompson - adequate, but not stellar. Not the game changer. Like everyone else, I cringed when LDR went out there, and promptly threw the INT. However, my takeaways on the QB situation is that Franks is still developing, but his mindset remains solid. It isn't getting to him, that I can see, when he's replaced. He's still out there cheering everyone on and talking them up when they are within earshot. I like the kid, a lot. LDR...I'm still not sold on, but he did throw a decent deep ball for Cleveland in double coverage...it could have been better thrown, and perhaps NOT to double coverage, but he showed the noodle arm can create a deeper threat when needed, so I like that.
I get what you're saying. If we go with LDR as the starter or if we do the rotating thing, whichever, I hope that it works and that we can win. Biggest thing I want to see is us to get better all around in consistency of execution, technique, and fundamentals from a standpoint of the players. From the coaches, I'd love to see us find a better offensive identity, become more fundamentally sound (I know, I'm repeating myself) if we insist on being so vanilla on defense, and on special teams...there's no way to go but up, is there? ;)

Going forward, I think the staff are still wanting to lean on Franks to develop him as THE GUY. I believe LDR remains QB2 for the season while Malik just wasted a transfer. Next game against Vandy, and games that follow, I don't know if the staff start FF and relieve him with LDR when the change up is needed, or if they start LDR and get FF his playing experience in Q3 and Q4. I don't know what they'll do (who does with these guys?).
Whatever they decide, I hope it works. Just don't want to see Franks' development slowed or stopped, for him especially (and the team as well), but also for the possible implications on recruiting.

I'll come back to the same question that is nagging me throughout this post - is our staff showing signs of intelligence or not? We were 2nd or 3rd and long several times and I called the run play.....and then it wasn't called. We broke predictability a bit, but were rewarded with poor execution like the kids weren't sure we meant to NOT call another run. I'm fuzzy on this one - never been a coach, nor played organized football. But from an idiot's perspective it seemed we tried to break pattern a bit, which I'll take as a positive....but we still aren't executing well. Like you say, poor design, or are the kids not able to run the play effectively? I don't know, but would appreciate insight from those more knowing on this type of stuff.
Maybe breaking previous convention is a good sign? Inconsistent/poor execution, as you mention, will destroy even the best of plans. I just can't for the life of me understand how we can remain so inconsistent three games in, despite winning the last two. Repeating myself again, but my senses tell me that unless this improves more dramatically, we'll wreck soon and it might not have to be against one of the better teams on the schedule, few as they might be. We have some talented players, several of whom can be grossly unsound at any time. Don't know whether the staff is scared of the depth or what, but again, the corrections don't seem to come real fast. One thing that absolutely must be corrected is the poor tackling. Never seen so many misses at this level of football and this is not what is expected from a Gator defense for those of us who've watched this side of the ball for a long time.

BTW seeing the flaws, discussing them and sharing opinions, and wanting them to be corrected along with expecting the coaches to up their game as well isn't wanting us to lose anymore than believing that our current play, which has resulted in a blowout and two come from behind victories, all against arguably marginal teams isn't sustainable as is.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I can cite countless plays in the 4th which force me to the conclusion that, no they still don't get it. Here's three. A third and very long where play action was called. No defender believed there would be a run and no defender bit on the play action. All it did was screw up timing and send Del Rio running for his life...backwards. Another third and long called at the wrong time. After the final TD I watched in disbelief as Mac stood on the sidelines laughing and yucking it up with one of our players. WTF? Games not over Mac. There's this really obscure thing called a field goal.

Yeah they loosened up the playbook. I take it as a sign of desperation rather than a sign of intelligence.

By the way I watched the whole game. Why does Mac have a mike. Does he ever say anything to anyone. All I see him do is pace and chew gum. Maybe he communicates during commercials.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I love it when ya'll say we COULD be 0-3...well guess what?? We AREN'T!! I knew you were hoping we would be but we ACTUALLY pulled out the games and WON. Gators WIN and you LOSE. FACE IT. Doering STILL wide open for a TD so we COULD have lost but it was an easy pitch and catch for the game winner. OWNED and DESTROYED!! Go Gators!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator