Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Louisiana State

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
watching the two stops at the one again, Reese got mad penetration both times and blew both plays to pieces. Johnson recovered a fumble, Joseph laid serious lumber at the one on their QB to force the botched FG, and Moon is waiting in the wings.

the two guys we have committed for 2017 already weigh in at 225 apiece.

ergo, i'm a little less stressed out over the LB picture going into next year.

now on to flipping some DTs and OLs!! and move Riles over to DL!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Let me say this. Our team is learning that as a group they can do way more than as individuals. Team chemistry is showing more and more. The play calling on the lsu side was damned good. They mixed it up so well and had us off balance many times.. But when they got within the 15 all those options were not there and our Def. came up HUGE each time. We all love blowing teams out and strutting around like we did with SOS and Timmy but you cannot be prouder of a young team that left BatonRouge with a win on the last play when it was just man against man and our backs to the damned wall. No one can EVER take that away from these boys.,,,,,,,,,,Fck fsu fck bama fck the recruiting services and their star ratings.............this was a real team effort that defies all that sh#t...............

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Thnx for post, C2. My usual $.02 worth:

1. Scarlett I believe is a team leader. After Gators took lead in 4th in large part to his determined running, he was on sideline pumping up the DL (Brantley and Ivie) a la Tebow. He leads by example and his "we" attitude.

2. Joseph tattooed the LSU QB just shy of the goal line. Good clean hit that made the LSU fans groan in unison and pumped up Gators. Big play too since Tigers eventually flubbed FG attempt.

3. Sharpe plays at times with his feet in cement. To Nuss' credit he started using formations that could chip block and protect Sharpe's outside shoulder against speed rush.

4.The safety blitz up the middle that leveled AA was Scarlett's responsibity and he knew it. The blitz was delayed and Scarlett drifted behind some tall lineman failing to see blitzer until too late. He threw his arms up in disgust knowing he missed his assignment. Lesson learned.

5. This is a different team since the Arkansas debacle. AA is improving with each snap he takes and just simply can do things LDR can't. No ill intent to LDR but his injury was a godsend in disguise. Love the play of South Lake Groveland HS grad TJ McCoy. Great bloodline there. His short stature and impressive strength gives him great leverage against the behemoths he opposes. Another injury "discovery".

6. I told the wife during game that the DEs were closing down too fast and surrendering the edge. This has been a problem in prior games as well. Need that fixed. It led to big gainers for LSU.

IMHO, this was one of the best Gator wins of all time. A Classic wrought with continuous drama, emotional roller coasting and a nerve-wracking happy ending. My body is still discarding the excess adrenaline.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, I can honestly say that I look for your post after every game now. Almost like we did with Ox's post game podcast. Hey Ox, I think this game yesterday deserves one, just sayin'. But before adding my two cents I have to give credit where credit is due.

This UF team yesterday played hard and earned a monumental win. BRAVO! Many of us did not give you a chance including me. With all the young guys playing, on the road, and outmanned I just thought it couldn't happen. I've never been so proud to be wrong. And one other thing to say to LSU, Alleva, and Coach Kiss My Azz Blowhard Orgeron..........

What comes around goes around. Now all you Coonazzes go drink a big tall glass of STFU!

From what I saw yesterday.

TJ McCoy. Tony I'm sure is proud of his kid. Knows how to call the D, great push, and perhaps a huge piece we needed on the OL. I like how the OL has progressively gotten better through the season. Maybe not as fast as I would have like, but still the future looks good with this unit.

The young players filling in on D. What can you say? Sure we've had to go to a bend and don't break, but these kids have played their azzes off. Reese looks to be a bright spot in the D moving forward but there is a lot of youth there and that is getting valuable playing time. What about Joseph with that hit on Etling. That's the attitude this D needs. You may get some yards, but we're going to smack you in the mouth. I could go on and on about the Defense but that last stand. Beautiful!

Scarlett was playing like a man possessed. Credit to the OL too but he was running with authority and a not going to be denied attitude. Same with Perine. A great 1-2 punch. It seemed as the game wore on they were able to wear them down and punishing runs.

And I will end with this. I give some credit to Mac and the staff. Nuss makes me still scratch my head at times like a toss sweep when you're getting hunks of yardage up the gut, but anyway. Congrats on back to back SECE titles. I know the East is down but we'll take it. To go in to Baton Rouge with all the BS flying around, LSU talking shyt and to pull that off, gotta give him some props. :fistbump: Now we aren't quite there IMO as a staff but this is what you have to do to get there and win a game like this. But in all a very happy Gator today. Now go beat those Clown's azzes next week.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Great analysis especially on Nuss the drive killer. He killed at least 3 drives with his cute play calling. The young guys on D did a great job, but still have to get better defending the 80 yards before the red zone. I was actually shocked when they showed TOP at half and it was even because it didn't feel that way. Reece is the real deal and Joseph's hit was a stone wall type that may be once in a lifetime in todays football and QB protection. The red zone D was lights out though and it looked as if the screen passes Arky killed us with were defended well enough after their first long one.

As for the O it was nice to get that long TD, but that was basically it outside the run. Scarlett and Perine were possesed the second half and I will never understand not going sneek or run up the gut from the 1in line. At least they didn't bring in polite to try and do the throwback to him that hasn't worked yet. lewis had a drop early and remains inconsistent and LSU was to fast to run the Zook offense that worked against the cocks. Hopefully Applebee got some confidence to take the deep shots against fsu when they are there and continue improving the mid range game like he has the last two weeks. I'm still trying to figure out why Powell or our DB's can't keep his footing.

Hopefully this win spills over into recruiting because we still need some big boys coming in and this is huge compared to how we finished last year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Great win. Really happy today but admit I will be back in my depression mode I think if we lose to both FSU and Bama and the recruiting hasn't picked up a little. If the defense can contain Cook some and the O line can play that way against FSU we have a chance to go in there and win.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1. Scarlett I believe is a team leader. After Gators took lead in 4th in large part to his determined running, he was on sideline pumping up the DL (Brantley and Ivie) a la Tebow. He leads by example and his "we" attitude.

3. Sharpe plays at times with his feet in cement. To Nuss' credit he started using formations that could chip block and protect Sharpe's outside shoulder against speed rush.

5. This is a different team since the Arkansas debacle. AA is improving with each snap he takes and just simply can do things LDR can't. No ill intent to LDR but his injury was a godsend in disguise. Love the play of South Lake Groveland HS grad TJ McCoy. Great bloodline there. His short stature and impressive strength gives him great leverage against the behemoths he opposes. Another injury "discovery".

IMHO, this was one of the best Gator wins of all time. A Classic wrought with continuous drama, emotional roller coasting and a nerve-wracking happy ending. My body is still discarding the excess adrenaline.
Thanks Lake. I saw Scarlett on the sidelines as well. He is invested. You're right on concerning Sharpe's feet. He just can't drop step quickly enough against the outside rush. Getting him some help was overdue if he's the best we can put there, but I'm glad we are doing it now at this critical juncture. Certainly agree that this win ranks up there. Good for Mac, but still was high time ;)

This UF team yesterday played hard and earned a monumental win. BRAVO! Many of us did not give you a chance including me. With all the young guys playing, on the road, and outmanned I just thought it couldn't happen. I've never been so proud to be wrong. And one other thing to say to LSU, Alleva, and Coach Kiss My Azz Blowhard Orgeron..........

What comes around goes around. Now all you Coonazzes go drink a big tall glass of STFU!

TJ McCoy. Tony I'm sure is proud of his kid. Knows how to call the D, great push, and perhaps a huge piece we needed on the OL. I like how the OL has progressively gotten better through the season. Maybe not as fast as I would have like, but still the future looks good with this unit.

The young players filling in on D. What can you say? Sure we've had to go to a bend and don't break, but these kids have played their azzes off. Reese looks to be a bright spot in the D moving forward but there is a lot of youth there and that is getting valuable playing time. What about Joseph with that hit on Etling. That's the attitude this D needs. You may get some yards, but we're going to smack you in the mouth. I could go on and on about the Defense but that last stand. Beautiful!

Scarlett was playing like a man possessed. Credit to the OL too but he was running with authority and a not going to be denied attitude. Same with Perine. A great 1-2 punch. It seemed as the game wore on they were able to wear them down and punishing runs.

And I will end with this. I give some credit to Mac and the staff. Nuss makes me still scratch my head at times like a toss sweep when you're getting hunks of yardage up the gut, but anyway. Congrats on back to back SECE titles. I know the East is down but we'll take it. To go in to Baton Rouge with all the BS flying around, LSU talking shyt and to pull that off, gotta give him some props. :fistbump: Now we aren't quite there IMO as a staff but this is what you have to do to get there and win a game like this. But in all a very happy Gator today. Now go beat those Clown's azzes next week.
Thanks TN. Both you and Lake (and others) are spot on concerning young McCoy. Great to see him more than capably step in as the QB of the OL. It is something that they seem to have gotten better as the young guys have been called upon ;). Who'd a thunk it? Scarlett? He's the guy. Love watching him run. And Perine ain't too shabby for a frosh. I also like how the youth have stepped up. They may have helped change some attitudes and definitely seemed to have added energy. They should do nothing but get better and I'll take the bend but don't break while we come out on top. Looking for us to grow into a dominant unit, but recruiting will need to have a big impact (broken record). Definitely take a second consecutive East title, but want to see better the next two games than we saw last year. Not ready to cut Mac loose, especially after a great win, but I want to see consistency and still looking for improvement in play sequencing. Fingers crossed. Can't like your Coon Ass comment enough!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The white hat was actually smiling a "you dumb ass" smile after the result that I took to mean "you should have left this one alone Coach!"" But as you said, to hold them two plays from the one was pretty special.

Yeah I saw that. It was completely unprofessional.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let me say this. Our team is learning that as a group they can do way more than as individuals. Team chemistry is showing more and more. The play calling on the lsu side was damned good. They mixed it up so well and had us off balance many times.. But when they got within the 15 all those options were not there and our Def. came up HUGE each time. We all love blowing teams out and strutting around like we did with SOS and Timmy but you cannot be prouder of a young team that left BatonRouge with a win on the last play when it was just man against man and our backs to the damned wall. No one can EVER take that away from these boys.,,,,,,,,,,Fck fsu fck bama fck the recruiting services and their star ratings.............this was a real team effort that defies all that sh#t...............
Spot on Coach. Love to see us play as "we and not me!"

Great analysis especially on Nuss the drive killer. He killed at least 3 drives with his cute play calling. The young guys on D did a great job, but still have to get better defending the 80 yards before the red zone. I was actually shocked when they showed TOP at half and it was even because it didn't feel that way. Reece is the real deal and Joseph's hit was a stone wall type that may be once in a lifetime in todays football and QB protection. The red zone D was lights out though and it looked as if the screen passes Arky killed us with were defended well enough after their first long one.

As for the O it was nice to get that long TD, but that was basically it outside the run. Scarlett and Perine were possesed the second half and I will never understand not going sneek or run up the gut from the 1in line. At least they didn't bring in polite to try and do the throwback to him that hasn't worked yet. lewis had a drop early and remains inconsistent and LSU was to fast to run the Zook offense that worked against the cocks. Hopefully Applebee got some confidence to take the deep shots against fsu when they are there and continue improving the mid range game like he has the last two weeks. I'm still trying to figure out why Powell or our DB's can't keep his footing.

Hopefully this win spills over into recruiting because we still need some big boys coming in and this is huge compared to how we finished last year.
Thanks Ginger and agree about the throw game. Take away the bomb and it wasn't too much, but thank goodness for the running. I've been on Lewis about his consistent drop each game. He's effective when he hangs onto it, but he always has that one drop. Got to be more dependable, especially if you aren't a great blocker at the TE position. Nuss I'm afraid is just hopeless. The effectiveness of the run made him look some better, but his play sequencing defies logic most of the time. Also noticed Wilson fell down on the fourth down conversion (32 yard gain). Is it the cleats or an internal organ issue :dunno:.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
On the goal line call by Nuss: good call; poor execution. I was expecting a run between the tackles as apparently were the Coon Asses- the box was loaded; the perimeter was calling. (The last play of the game is the perfect doppelgänger.) Just goes to show that when it works, you're a genius and when it doesn't you're an ass. (Same can be said for the TOs.) As an aside, can't say that I get the resurgent offense talk and Corndog love for Coach O: the CA offense was classic Miles without the sprinkling mad hatter calls. Shout out to our Freshmen: Dayum! In closing, could not have scripted a better ending for our team. Hoping this marks he turning point for our Gators!

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Did anyone watch Booger on the post game. Man every time they showed them getting stuffed he would point out that if they had gone outside it would have been a walk in TD, sometimes just let it go

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did anyone watch Booger on the post game. Man every time they showed them getting stuffed he would point out that if they had gone outside it would have been a walk in TD, sometimes just let it go
I think the final play was an option for Guice to go outside, but he saw the crash by the DE or CB and redirected for the leap. Great surge by the DL and LB's. Leap stuffed, ball stripped, game over.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016

See my point above. The Corndog Nation post-mortem was that their O was too predictable, a la Miles. We can never know if the outside contain was there for either drive since Appleby botched his pitch and Coach O was committed to banging between the tackles.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
On the goal line call by Nuss: good call; poor execution. I was expecting a run between the tackles as apparently were the Coon Asses- the box was loaded; the perimeter was calling. (The last play of the game is the perfect doppelgänger.) Just goes to show that when it works, you're a genius and when it doesn't you're an ass. (Same can be said for the TOs.) As an aside, can't say that I get the resurgent offense talk and Corndog love for Coach O: the CA offense was classic Miles without the sprinkling mad hatter calls. Shout out to our Freshmen: Dayum! In closing, could not have scripted a better ending for our team. Hoping this marks he turning point for our Gators!
I think if we ran that right side, it works. I may not be remembering correctly, but I think Appleby pitched with his left hand. If we had gone right, he pitches with his dominant hand.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I think the final play was an option for Guice to go outside, but he saw the crash by the DE or CB and redirected for the leap. Great surge by the DL and LB's. Leap stuffed, ball stripped, game over.
Reese and the d line get credit for getting penetration, but Sherit saved that td. As soon as Guice went airborne, Sherit had him around the ankles dragging him down and back. Just a great all around effort

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
AA pitches have been interesting/scary at times. The game was certainly exiting and the team did not give up, which was huge. Young players continue to impress me. Need work on assignments but playing hard with heart.

On the AA TD ball, if it was LDR, everyone would be screaming it was under thrown, it was. Cleveland just wanted the ball more than the DB and refused to be pulled out. He had smoked his man before and now after the catch. Gutsy call without it....

Agree on the too cute sometimes stick to what you are good at. Look at LSU also, the fake field goal and some of their redzone plays could have been called by Nuss..lol. Oops just rewatched at it was a boobled snap, not fake, missed this play live...

How do our DB's keep falling down every week! Powell too, hard to comprehend, smaller shoes, cleats, coordination drills. Passing game is still dismal, but we stuck with our two best backs who ran hard! Great to see Townsend continues to be a huge weapon week in and week out. Josephs hit on the QB was a thing of beauty, but also look at the line he too, rather than a straight pursuit route. Smart play.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think against a team like LSU we are looking at some picks possibly with LDR in there. Appleby isn't that good but gives us a better chance to win than LDR I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.