Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Louisiana State

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
regarding the discussion of plays over the middle vs LSU, i remember seeing a grand total of one. it was a third down pass to callaway that was completed but came up short on third and long. that was it.

goolsby has disappeared recently, and i wonder if callaway not really getting separation on routes and goolsby's dropoff hasn't been a big reason for our lack of attacking the middle of the field. powell isn't getting any of these plays now either. cleveland will be used to attack the sidelines the way he did saturday.

the conservatism that has set in due to Del Puto being terrible and AA having a tendency to force things if not put on a short leash might also explain our limitations.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The white hat was actually smiling a "you dumb ass" smile after the result that I took to mean "you should have left this one alone Coach!"" But as you said, to hold them two plays from the one was pretty special.

They still got the call wrong. It should have been at the 1 and a half.
:bananadance2:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's true. I couldn't believe they had very clear video yet still got it wrong. It's like they begrudgingly gave us a foot but didn't like admitting they were wrong about the spot.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I saw Mac asking the refs to check the spot during that TO. Lswho was gifted an extra yard and still didn't score, which was more icing on the cake.

they still got the extra two, the running back looked to have bounced twice on the ground, we were given back the second bounce.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Reese and the d line get credit for getting penetration, but Sherit saved that td. As soon as Guice went airborne, Sherit had him around the ankles dragging him down and back. Just a great all around effort

Sherit did well, but I think Marcell Harris was a bigger reason Guice didn't make it to the goal line...MH has played decently well filling in for Maye. I think he had 11 tackles, just behind Reese.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
... I told the wife during game that the DEs were closing down too fast and surrendering the edge.

IMHO, this was one of the best Gator wins of all time. A Classic wrought with continuous drama, emotional roller coasting and a nerve-wracking happy ending. My body is still discarding the excess adrenaline.

Maybe you can share that with the wifey, as well...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Watching the replay of Townsend's punt, refs called it a touchback. But Thompson's feet and the ball
were in the air when he slapped the ball back to be downed at the one. ?? The announcer kept saying
that it was a touchback because Thompson's foot touched in the endzone - which it didn't. So, is the rule
that if the ball breaks the plane it's a touchback?... or can it be slapped back into the field of play?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Watching the replay of Townsend's punt, refs called it a touchback. But Thompson's feet and the ball
were in the air when he slapped the ball back to be downed at the one. ?? The announcer kept saying
that it was a touchback because Thompson's foot touched in the endzone - which it didn't. So, is the rule
that if the ball breaks the plane it's a touchback?... or can it be slapped back into the field of play?

In college, the player can actually be standing in the end zone as long as the ball doesn't break the plane. That's my recollection anyway...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In college, the player can actually be standing in the end zone as long as the ball doesn't break the plane. That's my recollection anyway...

Geez, picture that. What is the probability of a player stopping just beyond the goal-line and reaching
back to stop the ball before it crosses the plane? I saw the mid-air thing as a better athletic highlight?
I know, your gonna claim it's not your fault, CG.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Geez, picture that. What is the probability of a player stopping just beyond the goal-line and reaching
back to stop the ball before it crosses the plane? I saw the mid-air thing as a better athletic highlight?
I know, your gonna claim it's not your fault, CG.

Of course it's not my fault... I didn't write the rules.

I've heard multiple commentators say there's no need for the college players to tiptoe at the goal line, just don't let the ball break the plane.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Reese and the d line get credit for getting penetration, but Sherit saved that td. As soon as Guice went airborne, Sherit had him around the ankles dragging him down and back. Just a great all around effort

Wasn't able to watch live, but that's what I saw on the replay ... Guice veered left and went airborne because Sherit had him dead center if he'd kept going right; and then Sherit got a good hold on him and that was probably the biggest thing that stopped Guice's forward momentum.

Needless to say, a great goal-line stand. We'll be remembering it for years.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty good write up from LSU's perspective. I like his breakdown of the final play.
http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/20...post-game-review-coaching-search-jimbo-fisher

In that article the author stated the following:
In closing, just an ugly game all around. When I left the house I’m currently living in to walk to the game, news of the pre-game skirmishwhich Florida’s Wilson admits to starting

Anybody else hear this? From what I saw, a couple corndogs ran right up to our guys while they were doing drills and starting going at them. Obviously there's a lot going on that we don't see, merely from watching television, but from what I could see, I thought the coon asses were to blame...

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In that article the author stated the following:

Anybody else hear this? From what I saw, a couple corndogs ran right up to our guys while they were doing drills and starting going at them. Obviously there's a lot going on that we don't see, merely from watching television, but from what I could see, I thought the coon asses were to blame...

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at that part of the article. I never saw any footage of how it started. I was certain LF would be not be allowed to play for that. Owell, I'm glad his last game in his stadium was that loss.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just poking a little fun there, bro. However, I don't disagree with your points. I believe lswho was loading up for stuffing the middle and that is why I don't believe it was a BAD call. Everyone would've screamed it was predictable if we went up the gut and failed, even though no one will admit it.
That's something we'll never know.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah, that was my 1,000th post. I have now arrived. Please ensure that my Gator Fan Rank accurately reflects the increased status that my abundant posting secures.

:raysgirl:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, that was my 1,000th post. I have now arrived. Please ensure that my Gator Fan Rank accurately reflects the increased status that my abundant posting secures.

:raysgirl:

This is about it:
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.