Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. UMass

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Cover, always enjoy the recap posts, but you are being too generous IMO. Del Rio will be just fine, provided we have a good O-line, which I doubt will ever happen. He knows his keys, he knows his reads and is willing to toss it into the stands and live to play another down (something Driskel, Tebow, and many other QB's never understood). Since the O-line stinks, how about stop pulling O-linemen on short yardage plays in the red zone against inferior opponents. Just block straight ahead and prove to us you can move the LOS. How about moving Ivey to tackle where he belongs? Surely we can find another below average guard to plug in who could possibly be protected by the center and tackle? Safety play atrocious again in regards to cover and route recognition and the situation skills. Doesn't RFN have 1 yr of eligibility remaining? Between the O-line and safety play it has been a long decade since we had quality play (sans a pocket here and there)

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
We're not winning anything until dipsh!t starts recruiting better on the oline. Everyone has this idea that he can turn every 3* player he recruits into SEC studs is just unrealistic. Will he turn a few here and there absolutely, but we need better talent that can come in and not be so green. I get that it was raining and all but I'm hoping we look better next week cause if we don't I'm going to question more if he can even coach cause I already know he can't recruit

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Even Spurrier admitted his "system" doesn't work well anymore. He said this during interview in announcer's booth.

While I am tickled to have SOS representing the university, you could tell he is a gator through and through, I really wonder how it is going to work out having him hovering around the football program. That interview was very uncomfortable when they asked about the offensive production (or lack of it ). He was trying to be diplomatic but being the ole ball coach really wanted to speak up. I'm trying to envision him wandering around hovering over the coaching staff drawing up random plays on the board. It even more obviously sets him as the bar for future coaches. If I am a head coach do I want to be continually measured against him?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
YOu keep saying the worst def. in the Nation. This is a new season. New players new schemes. Are you privy to info about the future or something? espn had them 72nd out of 122 teams. giving up only 107 rushing yards a game https://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

You are trying to rationalize why we didn't kill a team we were supposed to kill. Call it like it is folks...a crappy opening performance from Mac on down. Too early to hit that panic button yet...but that felt more 2015 than 2016. And that's not good at all.

Eason looked like a freaking stud.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
You are trying to rationalize why we didn't kill a team we were supposed to kill. Call it like it is folks...a crappy opening performance from Mac on down. Too early to hit that panic button yet...but that felt more 2015 than 2016. And that's not good at all.

He is

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

There's a reason why Mac was pulling all the stops to bring Eason in at the end of last year.

The problem with last nights game, is that I don't know if there is an issue with Del Rio. Play calling was horrific. How would you have any idea how good your QB is?

jereed16

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just re-watched it. They tried a lot of different personnel (especially on offense early) but settled in to a more mid-season package later in the second half and looked pretty good (although UMASS was getting tired). Feeling good for when they get serious and settle on a starting lineup. And yeah, Piniero...kid's awesome.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, always enjoy the recap posts, but you are being too generous IMO. Del Rio will be just fine, provided we have a good O-line, which I doubt will ever happen. He knows his keys, he knows his reads and is willing to toss it into the stands and live to play another down (something Driskel, Tebow, and many other QB's never understood). Since the O-line stinks, how about stop pulling O-linemen on short yardage plays in the red zone against inferior opponents. Just block straight ahead and prove to us you can move the LOS. How about moving Ivey to tackle where he belongs? Surely we can find another below average guard to plug in who could possibly be protected by the center and tackle? Safety play atrocious again in regards to cover and route recognition and the situation skills. Doesn't RFN have 1 yr of eligibility remaining? Between the O-line and safety play it has been a long decade since we had quality play (sans a pocket here and there)
Thanks FF. You may be correct concerning my generosity, but as struggling as they are, there's a whole lot of football to be played and we've got to have 'em. Key will be improvement from now til we're done. I don't expect it at this point to be dramatic or rapid, but I'll take steady if that's all that it can be. A poster back in the thread made a valid point about Scarlett rushing for 73 yards and having some good runs. He had to have a little help from the OL, so consistency of execution has to be a part of it.

I also think Ivey looks like a tackle trying to be a guard. He could probably be better than the kid at RT if you have someone to plug in at LG. But as everyone realizes, OL is priority #1 followed closely by the secondary and the young receiving corps. Get all this shored up and rising in terms of quality, consistent, hard-nosed play and we've got something ;). But that's the rub, isn't it?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure Treon Harris was laughing at us a majority of the night last night...

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Stars matter, I have no idea why anyone would contest that. There was an article not long ago breaking down every champion since 06 and they all averaged classes in the top 5. You want to contend or win? I sure as hell don't want to be the next Oklahoma. I want us to be the next Bama.

Edit: obviously this isn't directed towards you

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some thoughts with the benefit of a night's sleep and some distance from the game:

First, the game itself: aside from stupid penalties and allowing an inexplicable conversion on a 4th and 14, I thought the defense looked very good - and we were short bodies in the secondary. With Tabor and Dawson back - assuming Dawson's injury isn't serious - and some of the youngsters that looked good, I think the defense will continue to improve with a chance to be very good. Anzalone was all over the field, and Zuniga came out of nowhere and played very well. CeCe and Brantley will pick things up.

The offense is another story. Putrid is the word that comes to mind when thinking about what I saw, especially within the context of who the opponent was. I wish the passing game was much more vertical. It seems like the passing game is geared to 5-8 yard crossing patterns with some tight-end digs/drags across the middle. Why do we not stretch the field more? I suspect it is because of LDR's middling arm strength and that our OL probably can't pass protect routes that require 7 step drops and time to develop. Regardless, that offense looked absolutely awful both from the player performance perspective and schematically. And worse, unlike the defense, it is hard to see a ton of improvement with the personnel we have. Special teams have become a strength and it was fun watching Eddy.

Now, the state of the program. I agree with Ox - we are no longer elite and haven't been for a long time. I will confess that Mac was my first choice among the "realistic" options available at the time and I was both surprised and ecstatic when Foley paid his buyout and hired him. Based on what I've seen so far, I am dealing with a lot of buyer's remorse. While logically I think we all knew digging out from under the previous doosh's reign of incompetence would take some time, it is a lack of progress both on the field, on the recruiting trail and in terms of regaining any semblance of swagger I find disquieting. We just aren't the Gators anymore. How is it that the HBC came in in 1990 with no QB, the top RB leaving early, a suspect roster and in his first game he hung 50 on a Big 8 opponent? And in year 2 of Mac, we're lucky to eke out 24 points against the worst team in 1A. Add to that either his snark during press events, or his rambling, non-responsive and heavily cliched non-answers to questions, and his schtick is already wearing thin on me. Let's face it - were it not for the Grier-Callaway miracle against the Chuggers last year, the noise in the system would probably be deafening by now. I know, he won 10 games and took us to Atlanta last year, and we're only one game into the new season. But last year was an outlier with regard to how terrible the East was and this season has not started well.

I still remain hopeful Mac can turn this around, but my doubts are growing.

I'm truly growing sick of the everything's just fine crowd. You wimps have been saying that since the end of last decade. You sound like volunqueers. Spurrier set the bar too high and its not possible to ever have that success again and that's the problem? Alabama, Ohio state, clemson, hell even fsu all just called, they said you're all morons.

We are who we are, the truth is I don't even care that much anymore, didn't even really get upset last night, I'm used to it after nearly a decade of embarrassment and mediocrity. Had people texting me all pissed off and I just laughed because it's the new norm and not worth really getting emotional over. But for the love of god, dont piss on peoples shoes and then swear its raining.

The state of the program isnt good, recruiting is not good, the reputation we used to have is gone and the product on the field isn't doing anything but enforcing that fact. If you're completely comfortable being an afterthought and bragging about our university's academic standing great, but dont sit around and act like those that are dissapointed in the current state of affairs are out of line.

And Durty nailed this ^

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stars matter, I have no idea why anyone would contest that. There was an article not long ago breaking down every champion since 06 and they all averaged classes in the top 5. You want to contend or win? I sure as hell don't want to be the next Oklahoma. I want us to be the Old Florida.

Edit: obviously this isn't directed towards you

FIFY

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Some (positive) observations:

First let's talk about opening game blowouts. Yes Spurrier did it with his first team but there's a reason his name is on the stadium. Coaches like that only come around once in many generations. Also that team had talent. That was back in the days when Florida got players just because we were Florida. Mac did the same thing as Spurrier regarding pass/run balance in first half the difference being that Spurrier's pass plays were over 10 yards whereas Mac's went for 3. But then LDR was instructed to manage the game, i.e. don't turn the ball over, and he hit a lot of safety valves. If Shane Mathews and his big head were playing last night he probably would have hit those secondary receivers for some longer completions. LDR is not at that confidence level yet.
For all intents and purposes this was a totally new team on the offensive side of the ball. This team doesn't have a game time/ experience playing together. It takes a while for an offense to click but we've got the tools and some promising freshman for that to happen. Remember the two axioms of opening games:1) Defense (opponents) is always ahead of offense and 2) biggest improvement is game one to game two.
Play calling: Yes it was frustrating but I really think what we saw was a preseason game plan. Rotating players in the first half to see who was serviceable. Short pass, confidence building passes for LDR.
We aren't an elite team yet and by all rights we shouldn't expect to be, that takes time (and recruiting). But we are still should be able to win the East if we correct the very correctable issues we had last night. We easily could have had the shutout last night but for two bonehead defensive penalties and the secondary asleep at the wheel on the quick snap 4th and 14.
The one thing I am worried about is dropped passes. We talked about this in the "What can you tell from the opening game" thread and I stated the observation that the one thing I noticed over the years is that if receivers are dropping balls in game one they are going to be dropping balls in game 11. So if I remember correctly Fullwood dropped one (no big surprise) and Mark Thompson dropped at least one - the other was thrown behind him. We might not see much of Thompson because of that. Who else had a drop? Calloway? He gets a pass (no pun intended). Powell made a clutch catch though. Obviously pass blocking on the bubble screens were atrocious. Massey missed a block that went for a loss and Swain(?) missed a block that somehow Powell(?) turned into a TD. That can be fixed but I truly believe that is something that there is no excuse for - that should be well practiced. Oh and more than 2 bubble screens a game is way too many.
What I like as opposed to the last the last 6 years, is that, assuming we can execute, we will finally have an offense that WANTS to use the pass and I have a feeling they want to go further down field. No more Daz, no more Mustank, no more Treon. That gives me hope.
Of course if we are still playing like last night in game four pass the hemlock.

Let the attacks begin.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
That's what I saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.