Breaking Down Jeff Driskel

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He's coming back next year as our most experienced by far … over Treon Harris.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n67056 said:
Look at BC's stats - Murphy still isn't lighting it up with his arm - he beat USC with his wheels.

You are right. I have watched them he still has the good pocket presence but his accuracy is really lacking at BC. I wish I could give Driskel Murphy's pocket presence.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n67058 said:
He's coming back next year as our most experienced by far … over Treon Harris.

lol - The new coach better not even think about it.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n67003 said:
It is called regressing. That what having a coach like Muschamp does to you. I don't know many player that has made killer strides under Muschamp, but know many that have gone downhill. Jeff is worse than he was before he became a Gator. And his head is completely messed up. Can you imaging the thoughts going through his head, when he takes his fist snap for the TN game? His confidence is destroyed thanks to Muschamp. And you need confidence to lead your team through a tough game. Why do you think it is that the last 2 QBs that transferred are improving, while JD is getting worse?

Why do you keep saying his confidence is destroyed? I keep hearing this, but I don't see it. Muschamp gave him the starting job, allowed him to succeed in year 1 as a starter, then he got hurt year 2.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Most coaches get to wrapped up in size, speed and arm strength. Physical attributes are important for the other positions much more so than QB. I think for the most part good QBs are born with an innate dynamic spatial awareness that allows them to play the game at a high level. If you could make a QB, all those Cali parents getting all the personal trainers, sports psychologists, nutritionists and QB gurus working with their kids would be spitting out elite QBs left and right. Doesn't happen. They enroll them in a High School with a tricked up offense and it's pretty easy to put up gaudy numbers against High School defenses. Get to college and do very little.
A kid can be coached up properly. But the mental gymnastics required to change your progressions from your pre-snap read to what the defense rotates to post snap is to slow to throw the ball on time. The good ones just see it without doing all the mental stuff. In simple terms, they see where the green grass is going to be and they throw the ball BEFORE the receiver breaks for the green grass.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n67105 said:
Have you seen the look on his face? He looks beaten down, does not enjoy being there. He is broken. His team has tuned him out. He has not been coached properly. He has gone backwards. Remember the look on Tebow's face when he was playing for the Bronco's, when people were telling him that he was a bust in the NFL? Remember the look he gave his teammates on the sideline? Remember the look of determination. He made his teammates on the Broncos believe that they could get to the playoffs. He had confidence. Jeff does not have that look. Athletically, he should be running all over the defenses. But Muschamp broke him.

So your opinion that Muschamp is the reason for Driskel's low confidence is based on his face? You can't point to any one action that Muschamp did? That's a pretty big assumption to make without any evidence at all.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n67103 said:
He Beat are the operative words.

Don't start with that... Driskel went 11-2 in 2012 and people were complaining about him like crazy and he did it mostly with his legs and a good D. If our offense was the same as 2012 and we were winning people like you would still be calling for Muschamp's head and saying Driskel needs to go... don't change the story now.

G

Gatorfool

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think everbody agrees, JD is brokedown.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
-THE DUDE-;n67051 said:
It is possible that you just can't coach that up...it is a god given skill to mentally be able to process information like that quickly and react. Some have it and some don't. For all the good Tebow did here he couldn't read defenses and react real well either...that was his downfall in the NFL. He was much better at it then Driskel on the collegiate level and was a more accurate passer. though he did have an unbelievable Oline and WR/TE group to throw to.

Timmy rarely missed a deep ball. Tebow's biggest weakness going into the NFL was his footwork. He never had passing game timing built into his footwork. Proper footwork would help take him through his progressions and have him throwing on time. People worried about his throwing motion. Quick feet equals quick arm.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well it all comes down to Muschamp. It doesn't matter or not if its Driskel and his inability to get the job done, read defenses, or pickup blitzes. Muschamp is the head coach and is responsible for coaching him up or making the call for another QB. If he is so scared to play TH the why did he recruit him and bring him to UF???? JD is part of the issue. But WM's inability to do some about it is the PROBLEM.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ufgator812;n67040 said:
Maybe. Given the choice of blaming a college kid or a grown ass man who is paid to coach, teach, & train, I'll blame the coaching staff every time. We will never know what would have been. This era has been a total loss.

This. The fact that Brissett--who looked terrible here as well--has magically improved at NCSt tells me everything I need to know.

I think it's probably a bit early to include Roper in this mix of poor coaching. Still holding out hope that JD can improve under him, if he's going to be the starter.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n67106 said:
So your opinion that Muschamp is the reason for Driskel's low confidence is based on his face? You can't point to any one action that Muschamp did? That's a pretty big assumption to make without any evidence at all.

I actually agree this isn't on Muschamp and the OC's like some player development likely is. I got jumped on for it but I kept saying in 2012 even with the wins that it was obvious Driskel just didn't get it and a change should have been made. They just never gave Brissett any time to play and build his skills despite Jeff's terrible play. Brissett actually looked rough his first game this season but has kicked butt ever since then.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n67118 said:
I don't know which people you are talking about, but it is not me.

What? I thought I asked if you were Avatar?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not the sharpest pencil in the box comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator