Charlie Strong

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dunno about Strong. Great coordinator, great recruiter but still not wholly convinced he could have given us the upgrade we wanted. Besides, would anyone really have wanted to invest heavily in yet another defensive coordinator? I think we may have gotten the right guy by waiting. The offense looks potent and balanced, we've got loads of skilled guys and a young quarterback with tremendous upside. Spurrier proved 20 years ago that patching the defense is a whole lot easier than patching the offense. I'd prefer that route than vice versa.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
“The only way you're going to be able to win is you have to run the football,” second-year coach Charlie Strong said, “and you have to protect your quarterback, which we didn't do, and you have to control the clock and you have to win special teams, which we didn't do.”

spoken like a true DC

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n272793]I think we may have gotten the right guy by waiting. The offense looks potent and balanced, we've got loads of skilled guys and a young quarterback with tremendous upside.[/QUOTE]
I like Mac, but it's absurd to make this observation after one game against NMSU. Takes a lot more time for me. Hell, I wasn't sold on Meyer until we beat OSU for the NC.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
oxrageous;n272785 said:
At the risk of dissatisfying the mob, what does the performance of Charlie Strong and James Franklin so far at their respective schools have to do with how they would do HERE? Both of them walked into crap situations. Personally I think both of them would be doing far better at this point here at Florida, especially if they had been brought on when they should have, after the 2013 season, not 2014. I think playing last year under Muschamp set us back significantly farther.
How coaches perform at other schools is how we evaluate them. Its how all coaches are evaluated. Its how Spurrier and Meyer ended up at UF. Texas scored 3 points last night. Strong's offenses make Muschamp's look like the fun and gun. Texas has had many games since Strong got there where they scored fewer than 10 points. Muschamp was never that bad. Imagine being a Longhorn fan watching that garbage every week?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I wanted Strong to come back, and still think he'd be a better fit at UF than at Texas. However, I also think Mac is moving us in the right direction, although we won't know much until we face stiffer competition... He also needs time to undo the damage... Anyway, I'm moving on from the "shoulda hired Charlie" mantra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n272865 said:
I like Mac, but it's absurd to make this observation after one game against NMSU. Takes a lot more time for me. Hell, I wasn't sold on Meyer until we beat OSU for the NC.

I said we MAY have gotten the right guy, but I'm not backing off my optimism. I can sense a change in atmosphere. He's successfully coached offense in the SEC, and we have the existing talent and recruiting base to provide him with equal talent. I like his cool and calm demeanor, his confidence, his approach to coaching offense. If we can continue to recruit well defensively, I see a lot of upside for this regime.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;n272722 said:
I hate that Urban lost control of the UF race car, but at least he could build it. Charlie as a replacement would of been a slow bleed. In reality Will burned out relatively quickly. Texas is in for a 5 year continued spiral.
He doesn't get 5 years, of that I'm sure. He may not get 3 especially if they have a few more disasters like last night.

Charley isn't Mack Brown. He hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt with Texass and there were plenty of Texass boosters who weren't thrilled with the hire from the outset.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
GatorTAG;n272595 said:
Still want him? He didn't do much last year and he's getting his a$$ handedto him by ND tonight. He should have stayed at Louisville. He had a good thing going there.

I agree with you. I am sad to see Strong bombing in Austin. But not many black head coaches get the chance to coach at a top football school so he had to take it. He can always go back to a school like Louisville. But Charlie is reaching for the stars at Texas. So far not so good.

A bad weekend for Gators. Tebow and Sturgis get cut and Strong Longhorns bombed against the Irish.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
dubster1;n272784 said:
i admit i was one of those people. i didnt think it was a huge mistake not hiring him but i thought he deserved the opportunity. that being said he would have failed.

If we were hiring DCs as our head coach I would have taken Strong over Muschamp everyday of the week and twice on Saturday. Im still not convinced Muschamp is an elite DC.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
charliestrongblazzingsadles.gif

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Scott512;n272947 said:
I agree with you. I am sad to see Strong bombing in Austin. But not many black head coaches get the chance to coach at a top football school so he had to take it. He can always go back to a school like Louisville. But Charlie is reaching for the stars at Texas. So far not so good.
you my friend have insight.... :proud:

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
G 2;n272965 said:
If we were hiring DCs as our head coach I would have taken Strong over Muschamp everyday of the week and twice on Saturday. Im still not convinced Muschamp is an elite DC.

he's not! and it cost florida 6 mill to find that out

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
oxrageous;n272785 said:
At the risk of dissatisfying the mob, what does the performance of Charlie Strong and James Franklin so far at their respective schools have to do with how they would do HERE? Both of them walked into crap situations. Personally I think both of them would be doing far better at this point here at Florida, especially if they had been brought on when they should have, after the 2013 season, not 2014. I think playing last year under Muschamp set us back significantly farther.
Franklin is, and has always been a d*ckhead whose claim to fame is he made a bad team sort of decent. I could never understand how folks thought he would have been even a mediocre hire for us. Strong would have been a solid hire, but I much prefer the offensive minded coach we ended up with. It looks like Strong is going to continue to struggle at TX and may not last long enough to turn it around. If he gets fired he'll walk off with 20 million in his bank account so not really feeling too bad for him.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n272785 said:

You've got a right to an opinion just like everyone else, but I don't know any evidence to support the idea that either Strong or Franklin would have done better at Florida. I think, like another poster said, you measure ability and potential by watching coaches perform everywhere they go. A case could have been built that Meyer couldn't coach in the big leagues and that he just caught lightning in a bottle with Tebow, Harvin, Hernandez, Pouncey (x2), Spikes, etc. if he hadn't have gone to OSU and done what he's done. ...but he has, so we know he's a legitimately great coach. Saban won a title at LSU and titles at Bammer. Strong and Franklin haven't proven it.

...and I agree that Mac hasn't proven it either. However, like '78 references, I like the early signs and I'm optimistic. I would add that he sees the bigger picture of building the program - QC personnel, facilities, etc. and his focus isn't solely on player discipline - though he addresses it like any good coach, imo.

As for Muschamp setting us back, I don't know. Obviously we reached some new lows with him last year, but I'm also glad that we secured some of the recruits from the 2014 class that we did and I don't know how much last season's dismal displays will have long-term effects. Strong and Franklin knew what they were getting into whether or not they know how to get out of it.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n272965 said:

They seem pretty similar to me. I know a lot of people in Gator Nation call Muschamp stubborn. I don't think you can deny that Strong is too. Both talk about "doing things the right way" and focus on the players toeing the line. ...and both have been massive disappointments at their big-time schools.

Dec 10, 2014
oxrageous;n272785 said:

:facepalm:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n273092 said:
Nice retort. Your argument has convinced me. :rolleyes:

I just think it's stupid every single time Strong or Franklin lose a game we have a group of people that thump their chest and say, "See! They suck! I never wanted that guy and said so two years ago! I'm going to call out everyone who said otherwise because they're stupid and I'm smart! Yeah! Yeah!"

It's dumb and old at this point. We didn't hire them and have no idea how they would have done if we had. To make the case that neither of them can coach is also ridiculous. All you have to do is look at Vandy right now to respect just how competitive Franklin had that team. It was remarkable. Strong's recruiting ties were a hell of a lot better in this side of the country than in Texas. That's why I think he could have been lights out here, at least as a recruiter.

It's all a moot point, anyway. The fact is, we should have fired Muschamp after 2013. Period.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sold on Strong. I think he's more of a DC than an HC. I think Franklin would've done a phenomenal job here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator