Charlie Strong

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Strong is set for life with that 30 mil whether he wins or not if he structures it correctly.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tough crowd. Fourteen games in and already at risk of losing his job. Good thing there were no message boards when Pell was around.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
In those 14 games he has losses where they scored 7, 17, 7, 0, 10, 7, 3. Hard to watch a team that inept.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n273197 said:
In those 14 games he has losses where they scored 7, 17, 7, 0, 10, 7, 3. Hard to watch a team that inept.

That awkward space where it's uneasy to watch and even more uneasy to think about doing something about it. Spurrier has the answer for him.

Seka

Apr 19, 2015
Scott512;n272947 said:
I agree with you. I am sad to see Strong bombing in Austin. But not many black head coaches get the chance to coach at a top football school so he had to take it. He can always go back to a school like Louisville. But Charlie is reaching for the stars at Texas. So far not so good.

A bad weekend for Gators. Tebow and Sturgis get cut and Strong Longhorns bombed against the Irish.

Great point. It's only game one of the season, let's see how it plays out.

Dec 10, 2014
oxrageous;n273111 said:
Nice retort. Your argument has convinced me. :rolleyes:

I just think it's stupid every single time Strong or Franklin lose a game we have a group of people that thump their chest and say, "See! They suck! I never wanted that guy and said so two years ago! I'm going to call out everyone who said otherwise because they're stupid and I'm smart! Yeah! Yeah!"

It's dumb and old at this point. We didn't hire them and have no idea how they would have done if we had. To make the case that neither of them can coach is also ridiculous. All you have to do is look at Vandy right now to respect just how competitive Franklin had that team. It was remarkable. Strong's recruiting ties were a hell of a lot better in this side of the country than in Texas. That's why I think he could have been lights out here, at least as a recruiter.

It's all a moot point, anyway. The fact is, we should have fired Muschamp after 2013. Period.

So to be clear your argument is that we should not judge Strong on what he has done, but we should judge him on what he could have done had we hired him in '13?

Coach Strong had some great years here. He also had some poor years. I think people conveniently forget some of his defenses from 2003 and 2004. 2007 was not great either. If you ever watched a Strong presser, it will make you think of Muschamp as articulate and bright. He should have no issues recruiting Texas. It's a huge state loaded with talent. Getting beat like he did over the weekend is troubling.

Besides all that, I'm having difficulty seeing what your point is. Were you vocal about wanting strong as the HC and now trying to compensate?

Dec 10, 2014
LagoonGator68;n273192 said:
Strong is set for life with that 30 mil whether he wins or not if he structures it correctly.

Imagine the reaction their AD will get when they have to fire him and pay that....I bet he doesn't get an extension after this year though.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Texas looked inept in almost every phase of the game. That's not good 2 years in. Strong would have been a better fit at UF, Texas hasn't embraced him, but he was never a viable candidate for the Gators mostly due to the timing. He's loved in Gainesville so it's not surprising some wanted him.

James Franklin lost to Temple. TEMPLE. Many wanted him, too...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n273250 said:
So to be clear your argument is that we should not judge Strong on what he has done, but we should judge him on what he could have done had we hired him in '13?

Coach Strong had some great years here. He also had some poor years. I think people conveniently forget some of his defenses from 2003 and 2004. 2007 was not great either. If you ever watched a Strong presser, it will make you think of Muschamp as articulate and bright. He should have no issues recruiting Texas. It's a huge state loaded with talent. Getting beat like he did over the weekend is troubling.

Besides all that, I'm having difficulty seeing what your point is. Were you vocal about wanting strong as the HC and now trying to compensate?
My point is I don't care about Charlie Strong or James Franklin now. They have nothing to do with us. I just get annoyed that every time their team doesn't play well we have several members that call out arguments from two years ago and try to stir up crap.

Dec 10, 2014
oxrageous;n273287 said:
My point is I don't care about Charlie Strong or James Franklin now. They have nothing to do with us. I just get annoyed that every time their team doesn't play well we have several members that call out arguments from two years ago and try to stir up crap.

I've been on the board for less than a year, but this is the first Strong thread I recall. I find it interesting that you find people stirring up crap over Strong distasteful but the daily Foley/Muschamp threads are fine. I do agree with you though. I could care less about these two coaches. I would have been disappointed had we hired either one. If you can't achieve at texas/usc/uf, you can't achieve anywhere.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n273300 said:
I've been on the board for less than a year, but this is the first Strong thread I recall. I find it interesting that you find people stirring up crap over Strong distasteful but the daily Foley/Muschamp threads are fine. I do agree with you though. I could care less about these two coaches. I would have been disappointed had we hired either one. If you can't achieve at texas/usc/uf, you can't achieve anywhere.
It was even more disappointing to keep Muschamp for 2014.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It wouldn't be a message board if we didn't second guess.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I think most Gators have affection for Charlie Strong. He was a mainstay here for so many years and contributed greatly to Gator football. But he has moved on and i wish him the best. I never had any illusions or desire about him being head coach for us, and I think Louisville was a good job for him. But as far as his situation in Austin is concerned, I hope his house is only a rental. His days there are numbered.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n273111 said:
Nice retort. Your argument has convinced me. :rolleyes:

I just think it's stupid every single time Strong or Franklin lose a game we have a group of people that thump their chest and say, "See! They suck! I never wanted that guy and said so two years ago! I'm going to call out everyone who said otherwise because they're stupid and I'm smart! Yeah! Yeah!"

It's dumb and old at this point. We didn't hire them and have no idea how they would have done if we had. To make the case that neither of them can coach is also ridiculous. All you have to do is look at Vandy right now to respect just how competitive Franklin had that team. It was remarkable. Strong's recruiting ties were a hell of a lot better in this side of the country than in Texas. That's why I think he could have been lights out here, at least as a recruiter.

It's all a moot point, anyway. The fact is, we should have fired Muschamp after 2013. Period.

Not so sure I agree with you on Franklin's success at Vandy. Yes, he won at a place where that is very difficult but you must look at how he won.
He recruited players that Vandy typically would not admit, he won in the short term and then when things started to fall apart off the field, he did like Pete Carroll or John Calipari. He hauls a$$ to a better job stopping long enough to steal the few good recruits he had on board and took them to Ped. State.

Although I know it is not popular today, character has to matter at some point and Franklin is not a stand up guy.

Regardless, he is not our coach, I never wanted him to be our coach and I will not mention him again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PDS seems familiar. Can't quite place my finger on who he was in the past.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n273452 said:
PDS seems familiar. Can't quite place my finger on who he was in the past.

itsgrt2baflg8tr

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.