Charlie Strong

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n275401 said:
Yeah he did. Thanks for helping me prove my point. They were 3 years without a winning season before he got there. His resume was better than our current coach.

Shut your mouth

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n275411 said:
It's not like he turned UCF or USF into a winner. He turned a team that was once a winner against questionable competition, into a winner with questionable competition. He beat down a questionable conference with the team with the best resources. This is like an FSU coach bragging about winning the ACC in the 90's. They were clearly the most talented team with the best football resources, they should win. It makes your point more questionable.
Read my post before your stats. I said he took a struggling big east school and got them to back to back seasons with double digit wins. Then you posted the stats to prove that exact point.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n275440 said:
Read my post before your stats. I said he took a struggling big east school and got them to back to back seasons with double digit wins. Then you posted the stats to prove that exact point.

Until you change your AV, you will always be wrong.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n275440 said:

T you're wrong even when you think you're right.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
t-gator;n275194 said:
Not necessarily a bad fit imo. They just didn't have the peices offensively. It was similar to our situation, it's gonna take an offensive guy to fix that. If he inherited something better on that side I think he would be fine. Strong will bounce back. As for who Texas goes after, malzahn probably fits the mold as well as anybody. They're definitely gonna over pay somebody.
They suck on defense too.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If he can't beat the Pilaf from Houston when they come calling in Austin Saturday night, they'll can him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I can't imagine how big Strong's buyout would be if they canned him this year. Probably 8 figures.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n275743 said:
I can't imagine how big Strong's buyout would be if they canned him this year. Probably 8 figures.
You are correct, sir. If they fire Strong after the Houston game they'll owe him about $20,000,000. Plus they already paid him $9.375million last year due to the Louisville buyout.

If they have to keep him because of the prohibitive buyout, the good news for Texas is they won't have to worry about paying him any of those doggone incentives for winning they had written into his contract. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n275754 said:
You are correct, sir. If they fire Strong after the Houston game they'll owe him about $20,000,000. Plus they already paid him $9.375million last year due to the Louisville buyout. :lol:

1339131620_richbitchhp4.png

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There are maybe two or three coaches who I consider a sure-fire hire deserving of that kind of money. Strong is not one of them. I won't feel sorry for him or Texas if this doesn't work out.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n276008]There are maybe two or three coaches who I consider a sure-fire hire deserving of that kind of money. Strong is not one of them. I won't feel sorry for him or Texas if this doesn't work out. [/QUOTE]

Just curious, why wouldn't you feel sorry for Strong? I mean, the guy coached his way to the top of the profession and landed a monumental contract. It's not like he didn't earn his way there. He's just not equipped to turn around the spectacular disaster that is Texas football since Colt McCoy left.

As far as the university, hell no I won't feel sorry for their megalomaniac asses, either. F 'em.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n276008]There are maybe two or three coaches who I consider a sure-fire hire deserving of that kind of money. Strong is not one of them. I won't feel sorry for him or Texas if this doesn't work out. [/QUOTE]
Yeah, that hits it on the head. Being a DC, he's not my kind of hire. Getting in a bidding war and paying 6 mil for Strong or Franklin? Preposterous.

I still think we would have been better off firing Chimp, using a interim for the year and shopping all year long like OSU did... which still might have resulted in Mac being hired but would have at least stopped the damage being done by Chimp.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n275270]

Don't you think he's in a no-win situation re the playcalling? He'll be criticized for doing nothing and criticized for being too hasty. Only Strong has a good enough feel for the situation to make the right call. And if it leads to a turnaround, the move will be seen as brilliant.[/QUOTE]

I agree; I just don't think that coaching decisions should be made based on outside influences.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n276012 said:
Just curious, why wouldn't you feel sorry for Strong? I mean, the guy coached his way to the top of the profession and landed a monumental contract. It's not like he didn't earn his way there. He's just not equipped to turn around the spectacular disaster that is Texas football since Colt McCoy left.

As far as the university, hell no I won't feel sorry for their megalomaniac asses, either. F 'em.

I can't feel sorry for anyone making that kind of money or for failing to live up to it. Second, I never was on the Strong bandwagon. He's a great recruiter and a terrific coordinator, but his success at Louisville, though impressive, wasn't sustained long enough to convince me he had entered the elite of the elite.

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
Texas just isn't the right fit for Strong. His greatest strength is recruiting, and Texas pretty much recruits itself in that state. He'd be better off at a program where his recruiting ability made a greater impact. Louisville was a great fit for him. Generally, I think any ACC school or mid-level SEC school would be a good fit for him (MSU, Vandy, Arky, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The good news is it looks like he made the right move by demoting his OC. The bad news is now he needs to demote his showboating PAT kicker. Heartbreaking loss for Charlie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator