Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Wheels are coming off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Law98gator;n274366 said:
And I specifically said this wasn't an Ox thing. You feel me, buttlick? However, most of the rest of the Leyerlovin' crowd were all over Strong, Mullen, or both.
wtf is not to love about a FB coach that won you TWO national titles. Especially if you are a gator fan with ONLY SOS to hang your college football hat on (albiet a good one) One national title in 100 years. After URB, 3 national titles. Easy math and easy to like. I will admit Mullen looked better than will and so did Charlie S.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Charlie is in trouble here. He inherited a bad squad, but he hasn't done anything to improve in year 2. He told everybody he was going up tempo and changing the offense and against ND it was the same stuff as the year before (sound familiar...)

I really like Charlie and I want him to succeed, but he is in big trouble. If he loses to Rice next week he may be out of a job before the end of the year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Unless a real good QB magically starts playing at Texas next season he may be gone at the end of the 2016 season. I highly doubt they give him a 4th season.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to see Charlie struggle. I'm a fan of his but he probably wont survive the season. He's already abandoning his play caller after his first game. Very desperate move. I thought he would do well out there.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n275182 said:
Why? Because Meyer elevated him into a trajectory that he didn't deserve?
I just liked the guy. He grew up as a coach at Florida and I thought he represented the gators well when he was here. So other than when we played Louisville I'd usually root for him.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n275188 said:
I just liked the guy. He grew up as a coach at Florida and I thought he represented the gators well when he was here. So other than when we played Louisville I'd usually root for him.
He's a class act and did an admirable job while a Gator. I didn't think he was the right fit for UT and he's not gonna be there much longer with the crap they're producing. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make at run at Gus Malzahn when the season is over.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n275190 said:
He's a class act and did an admirable job while a Gator. I didn't think he was the right fit for UT and he's not gonna be there much longer with the crap they're producing. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make at run at Gus Malzahn when the season is over.
Not necessarily a bad fit imo. They just didn't have the peices offensively. It was similar to our situation, it's gonna take an offensive guy to fix that. If he inherited something better on that side I think he would be fine. Strong will bounce back. As for who Texas goes after, malzahn probably fits the mold as well as anybody. They're definitely gonna over pay somebody.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Why would anyone have Muschamp as their av? Yuk. But I agree with your post--somewhat. It was one game. Yes it looked bad (to state the least) but let's see how the season plays out. One thing is for certain: Texas better find some offense and find it fast or Charlie will be dropped like a hot rock. And from my experience, making such dramatic personell decisions could reflect a weakness to the constant pressure of dealing with the boosters, media, etc. Hopefully, for his sake, this isn't the case.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MissouriGator;n275252 said:
Why would anyone have Muschamp as their av? Yuk. But I agree with your post--somewhat. It was one game. Yes it looked bad (to state the least) but let's see how the season plays out. One thing is for certain: Texas better find some offense and find it fast or Charlie will be dropped like a hot rock. And from my experience, making such dramatic personell decisions could reflect a weakness to the constant pressure of dealing with the boosters, media, etc. Hopefully, for his sake, this isn't the case.

Don't you think he's in a no-win situation re the playcalling? He'll be criticized for doing nothing and criticized for being too hasty. Only Strong has a good enough feel for the situation to make the right call. And if it leads to a turnaround, the move will be seen as brilliant.

Dec 10, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n275270]

Don't you think he's in a no-win situation re the playcalling? He'll be criticized for doing nothing and criticized for being too hasty. Only Strong has a good enough feel for the situation to make the right call. And if it leads to a turnaround, the move will be seen as brilliant.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty accurate. He also opens up himself to criticism for how he could not have known there was a problem in the first place to be fixed. I've given Charlie some flak, because I think he's the most overrated Coach I can remember since Kiffen (though not quite on Kiffen's level). However, I agree with some posters that it's just one game. Albeit an ugly, ugly one. If he beats Oklahoma, and wins 8-9 games, people will quickly forget.

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014
Being a good assistant coach doesn't mean you will be a good HC.

I think we should recognize that. Charlie is over his head in Austin.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n275182 said:
Why? Because Meyer elevated him into a trajectory that he didn't deserve?
I would say that Chimp elevated him into a trajectory that he didn't deserve. People got so excited by that Luvull win because it wasn't yet obvious that any mediocre coach can beat Chimp with any level of talent, including 1AA talent.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
How did he not deserve this trajectory? He was the defensive coordinator for 2 national championship teams . Those teams shut down record breaking offenses and he put a ton of guys into the nfl. He went to a struggling big east school and had back to back double digit win seasons. He had as good of a resume as anybody when Texas hired him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n275298 said:
How did he not deserve this trajectory? He was the defensive coordinator for 2 national championship teams . Those teams shut down record breaking offenses and he put a ton of guys into the nfl. He went to a struggling big east school and had back to back double digit win seasons. He had as good of a resume as anybody when Texas hired him.

Did he make them that much better?

The previous five years before Strong (in BE):
9-3
12-1
6-6
5-7
4-8

Three years with Strong (BE):
7-6
7-6
11-2

Then his one year in the AAC:
12-1

During his years in the Big East, the Big East lost teams, and was a weaker conference which was losing teams and through turmoil. And his one year in the AAC which might be the worst conference in Country. Strong played against some questionable competition during his time in the Big East.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n275311 said:
Did he make them that much better?

The previous five years before Strong (in BE):
9-3
12-1
6-6
5-7
4-8

Three years with Strong (BE):
7-6
7-6
11-2

Then his one year in the AAC:
12-1

During his years in the Big East, the Big East lost teams, and was a weaker conference which was losing teams and through turmoil. And his one year in the AAC which might be the worst conference in Country. Strong played against some questionable competition during his time in the Big East.
Yeah he did. Thanks for helping me prove my point. They were 3 years without a winning season before he got there. His resume was better than our current coach.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n275401 said:
Yeah he did. Thanks for helping me prove my point. They were 3 years without a winning season before he got there. His resume was better than our current coach.

It's not like he turned UCF or USF into a winner. He turned a team that was once a winner against questionable competition, into a winner with questionable competition. He beat down a questionable conference with the team with the best resources. This is like an FSU coach bragging about winning the ACC in the 90's. They were clearly the most talented team with the best football resources, they should win. It makes your point more questionable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator